Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Grappling - Bottom or Top

Print  
When grappling do you prefer starting on the top or bottom
Top 13 65%
Bottom 7 35%
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,205-723
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So there I was trying to think of todays question reading over you guy's feed back for the last question and I was confused at how many prefered being on the bottom.

So today's question - When grappling do you prefer starting on the top or bottom and why?

I prefer the bottom as it gives me a chance to breathe, I love going for triangle chokes, and ontop it just angers me if I get swept with anything, from the bottom I feel like I have more control, and if I do wind up ontop it feels like I've earned that position.

Dirty Blue

Post #1   11/26/12 10:16:06AM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,428-751
Chips:
I was the lone on top vote. I feel I'm a 185 lbs beast and when I get you down it would be over rather quickly, unless you where a freak.

Post #2   11/26/12 11:24:16AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
Top, as a wrestler it's just more natural.....I can avoid some submissions unless your a slick dude and I believe in the statement about being a bjj black belt until I crack you a solid one.....now a true mma/bjj guy who has been through that kind of adversity before will get me yah, but most guys simply are not that guy....so it gives me tge largest chance for success.....even in training. Just forehead to forehead messes a lot of guys up if you do it right.

Post #3   11/26/12 11:40:02AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Bottom- I'm pretty confident in my guard and am pretty good at recovering it from bad positions.

Post #4   11/26/12 11:51:57AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Top, as a wrestler it's just more natural.....I can avoid some submissions unless your a slick dude and I believe in the statement about being a bjj black belt until I crack you a solid one.....now a true mma/bjj guy who has been through that kind of adversity before will get me yah, but most guys simply are not that guy....so it gives me tge largest chance for success.....even in training. Just forehead to forehead messes a lot of guys up if you do it right.

i agree with this, wrestlers (like myself) do like the top position. i get to train with some great BJJ guys that are MMA fighters also, and i find myself in armlocks set up by my own punches. its very frustrating. but for the most part i can keep my elbows tight, hold a good posture, and rain down some good shots from the top. i do start from the bottom more these days just to get better off my back but when it comes down to it i'll always like top side to start.

Post #5   11/26/12 1:09:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Bjj match- bottom.

The reason is is that it let's me feel you out and see actually how good you are on the ground. I'll throw a few subs from the bottom see how you react and decide to sweep (if your good) or not to (if I think I can get a triangle on you)

Fight- top.

The reason being I'm 99% sure I'm going to either get an americana or arm triangle. I'm the type that won't punch you unless I have too. I'll embarrass you though

Post #6   11/26/12 1:14:03PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by george112

Bjj match- bottom.

The reason is is that it let's me feel you out and see actually how good you are on the ground. I'll throw a few subs from the bottom see how you react and decide to sweep (if your good) or not to (if I think I can get a triangle on you)

Fight- top.

The reason being I'm 99% sure I'm going to either get an americana or arm triangle. I'm the type that won't punch you unless I have too. I'll embarrass you though

Excepting the last part, I will punch you even if I don't have to

Post #7   11/26/12 7:47:17PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
Oh for sure! If I get on top of a dude (since it is never an MMA Comp) I always toss caution to the wind and try to put that ass away.....I only get a few (30) seconds to fight, when I do I tey and make sure that the outcome is quick as possible. If I go to the ground people are always yanking me off and shit, so I get the shots in while the getting is good. I think the MMA / competition game is a bit more cerebral than that though. My fights are always just tough guy bullshit, and I have a short temper.

Post #8   11/26/12 10:15:35PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bottom or top?

Posted by jae_1833

Oh for sure! If I get on top of a dude (*****************************) I always toss caution to the wind and try to put that ass away.....I only get a few (30) seconds to f****, when I do I *** and make sure that the outcome is quick as possible. If I go to the ground people are always yanking me off and shit, so I get the ***** in while the getting is good. I think the *** / **************** is a bit more cerebral than that though. My f***** are always just tough guy bullshit, and I have a short ******.

Unnessesary Censorship

Last edited 11/27/12 1:45AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   11/26/12 10:58:06PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Bottom- I'm pretty confident in my guard and am pretty good at recovering it from bad positions.

I'm pretty much the same, except due to the lack of formal bjj training, I'm a little shakey at recovering the position. If I lose it I frequently will find a way to give up my back so I can slip out from there. Normally though if people get past my guard it's because I got a little over zealous with a submission attempt. I'm EXTREMELY aggressive with submissions from my guard., and I love chaining together sub attempts. My favorite setup is a basic one, but still effective. Throw up a triangle and as the adjust to get out quickly swivel the hips and turn it into an armbar. I'm great with the submission aspect. Some of my buddies that do have formal bjj training say I'm really good with the subs but I need work on some position stuff and sweeps, and that I need to cut back on the number of risks I take.

Post #10   11/27/12 12:14:01AM   

DrSlacker

Sinking the third hook

DrSlacker Avatar

Career:939-478
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:

Posted by george112

Bjj match- bottom.

Fight- top.

Agreed

In BJJ I find I'm able to control the pace and finish from the bottom most easily

In a fight you never want to be on bottom because you don't want to be elbowed or slammed

Post #11   2/1/13 10:51:29AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i just started bjj training 2 weeks ago at bjj gracie in alexandria, Sydney.

So far i prefer being on the bottom and working on sweeps or subs from the bottom. I find that when i grapple with high level white belts or blue belts that they always pull guard instantly. I think generally most people like being on the bottom.

Also today i pulled off my first technical submission besides a choke. Guy was in my guard and i had learned how to do an arm bar earlier that day. He had his arm flat on my chest. So i put my left foot on his hip then attempted to get my right leg under his left arm. I didnt quite pull it off, so whilst transitioning i locked up the triangle quite quickly and tapped him within a minute.

Post #12   2/9/13 2:43:41AM   

Legattacks

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I prefer the Top because I believe it to be the most dominate position. If im on the bottom I try to sweep to regain top position.

Post #13   3/4/13 7:41:55PM   

FoldEm

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
The top is my preference because you are not dealing with gravity, which is just another element. Given the choice, I would choice not to be crushed with gravity (or having to fight off of my back). However, I would prepare on training to escape by sweeping or subbing.

Post #14   3/4/13 8:13:26PM