Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Report: Urijah Faber vs Vaughan Lee slated for UFC 156 on Feb. 2 in Las Vegas

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

WTF? Did they make this fight going off teh kingsmashers rankings or something?

This makes no sense I critique fighters harder than anyone I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

When I read about this fight my first thought was Lee must be some up and comer undefeated to be fighting Faber....but I know the UFC loves a good company man and Faber can sell tix in his hometown...

you obviously don't read many replies then. Most of us don't like seeimg Top guys getting easy fights or seeimg Faber fight for a belt every other fight.

Post #16   11/24/12 3:12:41PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique fighters harder than anyone I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

When I read about this fight my first thought was Lee must be some up and comer undefeated to be fighting Faber....but I know the UFC loves a good company man and Faber can sell tix in his hometown...

Bro you have to be kidding me. If you are fighting professionally for the UFC you are far from a SCRUB. Even the worst fighter in the UFC right now is levels above a SCRUB fighter.

Post #17   11/24/12 3:36:27PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,404-801
Chips:
i hope this means that theyre tired of giving Faber title shots for a while & their going to make him go on another run before he gets another opportunity

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #18   11/24/12 3:41:03PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique Anderson Silva harder than anyone, because teh Weidman is the best, I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

Fixed

What's with 3 to 4 periods after every sentence now...? Is that your way of showing you know what your talking about?

Post #19   11/24/12 4:00:35PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by prophecy033

This makes no sense I critique Anderson Silva harder than anyone, because teh Weidman is the best, I dont reward fighters for beating scrubs like most people on here....

Fixed

What's with 3 to 4 periods after every sentence now...? Is that your way of showing you know what your talking about?

He only reads the last sentence/paragraph of what people write so I doubt he'll go back and check out what you fixed

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #20   11/24/12 4:09:00PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I mentioned it already

Post #21   11/24/12 7:31:40PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Everyone is being so hard on this match up I personally dont mind it. Urijah may be one of the best in the world but he has had two recent shots at the title and lost them both. Time to start from scratch.

I agree with Sparks here. After Barao beat Faber, Faber said he wasn't sure where he would go next. Why must he fight a top of the line fighter? Hell, he didn't really even sound like he wanted to keep fighting after Barao.

Post #22   11/24/12 8:05:52PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,742-1,520
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

Number 4 vs 129 - Makes sense to me

Guess this is a number 1 contender fight/one for the highlight reel.

fight metric is a POS. There is no way in hell Lee is #129 in the world at BW

If you're in the UFC, you're at least in the top hundred. Except for maybe when Jason Reinhardt was getting fights.

Post #23   11/25/12 12:59:58AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,315-754
Chips:
At first I was like WTF because I was kind of hoping for a Yves Jabouin/Faber fight but this isn't the worst thing in the world.

As long as Faber doesn't get a title shot/number 1 contenders fight after this I can\t complain. I also bet he helped Dillashaw prepare for Lee earlier this year so i'm sure nothing will surprise him here.

If Lee can pull off an upset it probably be in top 3 or 5 of the best upsets in UFC history and maybe MMA history

Post #24   11/25/12 2:19:02AM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

If you're in the UFC, you're at least in the top hundred. Except for maybe when Jason Reinhardt was getting fights.

I understand where your coming from but lets face the facts he only has 1 win over a guy with a wikipedia page.

Kid Yamamoto 18-6, 1-5 in recent fights.

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

So what about his losses and draws?

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

Just because someones in the UFC doesn't mean there the best there are always exceptions. Ramsey Nijem, Myles Jury, Terry Etim, Pascal Krauss, Simeon Thoresen, Jason Miller, Ednaldo Oliveira, Chad Griggs? the list goes on and on.

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best. Just cause other guys haven't had the exposure doesn't mean there not top 100.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Post #25   11/25/12 5:14:12AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

I understand where your coming from but lets face the facts he only has 1 win over a guy with a wikipedia page.

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

Just because someones in the UFC doesn't mean there the best there are always exceptions. Ramsey Nijem, Myles Jury, Terry Etim, Pascal Krauss, Simeon Thoresen, Jason Miller, Ednaldo Oliveira, Chad Griggs? the list goes on and on.

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best. Just cause other guys haven't had the exposure doesn't mean there not top 100.

I appreciate your point, but if you're going to call my claim ignorant then I challenge you to name 100 people who deserve a higher ranking than Vaughan Lee. Ignorance is an extremely strong term my friend, especially coming from somebody whose measurement for strength of competition is whether or not they "have a wikipedia page". I'm not claiming that everyone in the UFC is automatically ranked above anyone from any organization, that's ludicrous. I didn't call him "the best". I would never call someone with a 12-8 record "the best". There are plenty of quality fighters out there, many better than some of those in the UFC, and some are in the top 100. This is, in fact, a default because no division in the UFC has over 100 fighters (the bantamweight division has roughly 40). I will say, if you're calling me ignorant because I believe that the UFC has the best fighters in the world (by and large), then I gladly soak in my own blissful ignorance. There is no question in my mind that the UFC has the best fighters in the world, by an indescribable landslide.

I also question the losses you chose to reference to discredit Lee's career up to this point. Brad Pickett is a shameful loss? A guy who is ranked 5th according to Sherdog's admittedly-questionable-but-not-far-off rankings? And all of those losses were at least 3 years ago. The Brad Pickett fight was in August of 2007, The same month Gabriel Gonzaga fought Randy Couture for the Heavyweight strap. Matt Serra was the WW champion. And some people were clamoring for Kid Yamamoto (15-1 at the time) to join the WEC and fight Urijah Faber, if I remember correctly. I bring this up to point out that, fighters change over the course of a half decade, for better and worse. I don't know if it's fair to Lee to cling to a loss he suffered 5 years ago.

Last edited 11/25/12 6:53AM server time by jay98107
Edit note/reason: Overwrought, argumentative addendums.
3 total post edits

Post #26   11/25/12 6:34:33AM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

I appreciate your point, but if you're going to call my claim ignorant then I challenge you to name 100 people who deserve a higher ranking than Vaughan Lee. Ignorance is an extremely strong term my friend, especially coming from somebody whose measurement for strength of competition is whether or not they "have a wikipedia page". I'm not claiming that everyone in the UFC is automatically ranked above anyone from any organization, that's ludicrous. I didn't call him "the best". I would never call someone with a 12-8 record "the best". There are plenty of quality fighters out there, many better than some of those in the UFC, and some are in the top 100. This is, in fact, a default because no division in the UFC has over 100 fighters (the bantamweight division has roughly 40). I will say, if you're calling me ignorant because I believe that the UFC has the best fighters in the world (by and large), then I gladly soak in my own blissful ignorance. There is no question in my mind that the UFC has the best fighters in the world, by an indescribable landslide.

I also question the losses you chose to reference to discredit Lee's career up to this point. Brad Pickett is a shameful loss? A guy who is ranked 5th according to Sherdog's admittedly-questionable-but-not-far-off rankings? And all of those losses were at least 3 years ago. The Brad Pickett fight was in August of 2007, The same month Gabriel Gonzaga fought Randy Couture for the Heavyweight strap. Matt Serra was the WW champion. And some people were clamoring for Kid Yamamoto (15-1 at the time) to join the WEC and fight Urijah Faber, if I remember correctly. I bring this up to point out that, fighters change over the course of a half decade, for better and worse. I don't know if it's fair to Lee to cling to a loss he suffered 5 years ago.

First of all I wanna say thanks You restored my faith in the PG again, too many people just come on here to argue but you are here to debate with solid points and if I think I'm wrong I will back down so don't feel like there's no point arguing

I also apologise for calling you ignorant, by the fact you read my posts proves that is what you are not, and for spending 5+ minutes replying proves you are a more hardcore fan than most.

Yes I originally checked Vaughan's record on wikipedia and begun my debate with the fact they didn't have pages, but I researched to discover who he beat and what they were like.

With the statement which I made

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best

I meant that in the sense of, there's more to MMA than just the UFC. A lot of fair weather fans think the UFC is UFC (not MMA) so they're idea in there head is that the UFC is the best because it's the only show. I guess my assumption was that your opinion was once your in the UFC you automagically join the top 20 (or so) ranked in the division.

The UFC without doubt has the best fighters in the world in every division, minus the select few who really until fight in the UFC really can't be proven to be number 1, Cormier, Melendez, Fernandes.

I didn't say Pickett was a shameful loss hence why I didn't include his record, but in recent fights Lee has only beaten 1 guy who has more wins than losses and that guy is on a slow decline from how good he used to be.

I guess my point is I don't think Vaughan is quite UFC caliber yet and if he is top 100 either way, what the hell does a fight with Faber prove, 40th or 200th Faber should still 98% of the time win.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Post #27   11/25/12 10:58:28AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Posted by jay98107

Posted by jjeans

Mark Jones 1-6
Ian Cox 1-2
Rob Bunford 3-8
Steve McCombe 15-17
Mark Chen 7-7

Ashleigh Grimshaw 13-8
My Coach David Lee 9-8
James Doolan 16-8 (Draw)
Brad Pickett

First of all I wanna say thanks You restored my faith in the PG again, too many people just come on here to argue but you are here to debate with solid points and if I think I'm wrong I will back down so don't feel like there's no point arguing

I also apologise for calling you ignorant, by the fact you read my posts proves that is what you are not, and for spending 5+ minutes replying proves you are a more hardcore fan than most.

Yes I originally checked Vaughan's record on wikipedia and begun my debate with the fact they didn't have pages, but I researched to discover who he beat and what they were like.

With the statement which I made

Just because your in the UFC doesn't mean your top 100 by any stretch all that proves is ignorance to MMA by thinking I know the UFC they're the best

I meant that in the sense of, there's more to MMA than just the UFC. A lot of fair weather fans think the UFC is UFC (not MMA) so they're idea in there head is that the UFC is the best because it's the only show. I guess my assumption was that your opinion was once your in the UFC you automagically join the top 20 (or so) ranked in the division.

The UFC without doubt has the best fighters in the world in every division, minus the select few who really until fight in the UFC really can't be proven to be number 1, Cormier, Melendez, Fernandes.

I didn't say Pickett was a shameful loss hence why I didn't include his record, but in recent fights Lee has only beaten 1 guy who has more wins than losses and that guy is on a slow decline from how good he used to be.

I guess my point is I don't think Vaughan is quite UFC caliber yet and if he is top 100 either way, what the hell does a fight with Faber prove, 40th or 200th Faber should still 98% of the time win.

Hahaha, Urijah trouncing Lee is something we can certainly agree on, and I definitely think that he's in the bottom of the BW division. I was actually kind of shocked when I read that this fight was going down, Faber has earned some nonsense title shots (Aldo), but this is by far the biggest mismatch I've seen him in. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lee got cut after the Faber fight (assuming he loses), but we all know how much Dana likes keeping British fighters around for the European cards. Also, I'm very glad that you included Melendez in your list of guys who challenge the idea that the UFC has the #1 fighter in every division, of those three guys you named I think he's the most capable of dethroning the current UFC champion. Glad we can have an informed debate in this place, instead of thoughtful posting drowned out by people saying things like "Fedor sucks". It's the main reason I only post here anymore.

Post #28   11/25/12 2:04:25PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:
^^ What I like to see, good debate Jay and Jay

Post #29   11/25/12 6:31:45PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2