Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC bantamweight Nick Denis retires, cites potential brain injuries

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC bantamweight Nick Denis has announced his MMA retirement.

The 29-year-old Canadian fighter, who made an impressive UFC debut earlier this year, made the announcement on Thursday on his personal blog.

Denis cited concerns over potential brain injuries.

Denis (11-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) signed with the UFC after posting a 10-2 record in organizations such as World Victory Road/Sengoku and KOTC. Then, in his UFC debut, he scored a 22-second knockout of Joseph Sandoval via stinging standing elbow strikes. But then came a submission loss to Roland Delorme in May in a back-and-forth bout.

Even before that defeat, Denis, a former Ph.D. student in biochemistry, had begun research into brain injuries following an especially vicious knockout loss to Marlon Sandro in 2009.

LINK

Post #1   11/23/12 10:50:23AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Chips:
Hate to see this but I'm surprised he wasn't aware of the dangers beforehand. Seems like something every individual should look into before participating in a combat sport.

Last edited 11/23/12 11:23AM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/23/12 10:58:49AM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,590-915
Chips:
Sucks because I liked Denis a lot but I respect his decision on why to walk away.

Post #3   11/23/12 11:34:15AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Hate to see this but I'm surprised he wasn't aware of the dangers beforehand. Seems like something every individual should look into before participating in a combat sport.

I'm sure he understood the risks of concussions and broken limbs and all that, but generally fighters don't research all the after effects and side effects of them. They get into the sport because they like to fight rather than be in school to get a degree or work a trade or w/e. This is a more enjoyable way to earn a living for them. Now Denis is a rarity among fighters where he actually has a degree, and a Masters, but studying biochemistry doesn't focus on neurology so these things may have never crossed his mind. (I was studying biochem as an undergrad until I switched to microbiology this year. The undergrad calendar doesn't have any neuro science courses as part of the program). For ever Nick Denis out there, there are probably 10 Julian Lane's who just want to bang, bro

the same could be said with football and hockey players. They understand the risks associated with the game, but they choose to play anyways

Last edited 11/23/12 11:42AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #4   11/23/12 11:41:15AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,104-641
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm sure he understood the risks of concussions and broken limbs and all that, but generally fighters don't research all the after effects and side effects of them. They get into the sport because they like to fight rather than be in school to get a degree or work a trade or w/e. This is a more enjoyable way to earn a living for them. Now Denis is a rarity among fighters where he actually has a degree, and a Masters, but studying biochemistry doesn't focus on neurology so these things may have never crossed his mind. (I was studying biochem as an undergrad until I switched to microbiology this year. The undergrad calendar doesn't have any neuro science courses as part of the program). For ever Nick Denis out there, there are probably 10 Julian Lane's who just want to bang, bro

the same could be said with football and hockey players. They understand the risks associated with the game, but they choose to play anyways

It should also be noted that he was experiencing a different degree of damage in sparring as the years progressed. I'm sure he was aware of the risks, but as a fighter I doubt you want them in the front of your mind as you will always be getting hit. He didn't describe exactly what he was feeling, but whatever it was it became more of an issue, most likely prompting him to confront the issue and come to terms with the reality of the damage he was taking.

Post #5   11/23/12 1:13:56PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:930-528
Chips:
Sucks he was a exciting fighter. Bout health comes first and foremost.

Post #6   11/23/12 2:13:54PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,978-1,663
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

I think that awareness of the dangers of brain injuries has gone up significantly in these past few years, namely due to the focus on the NFL. It's very possible Denis has learned a bit these past few years

Post #7   11/23/12 5:26:09PM