Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

For a few UFC fighters, there are some terrible moments that just won't die

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former UFC welterweight Frank Trigg has a running joke with Zuffa matchmaker Sean Shelby, who also happens to be heavily involved in putting together the UFC's highlight reels. It's a familiar routine that often plays out via text message right before the UFC runs it's pre-event video package of great moments from fight cards past, all set to The Who's "Baba O'Riley."

"Before it starts I say, 'Sean, are you about to hurt my feelings again?'" Trigg told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

It's not exactly a serious question, because Trigg already knows the answer. He knows that, just as surely as clips from the classic fight between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar will make it into the highlight reel, so will he. It's just that he'll be on the wrong end of one of those memorable UFC moments. He'll be getting carried across the cage like a bag of fertilizer by former 170-pound champ Matt Hughes. He'll be getting slammed on the mat and then choked into submission at UFC 52, right before Hughes is lifted up in triumph to the sound of soaring guitars and a wailing Pete Townsend.

"I can't even listen to that song anymore," Trigg said. "It was seven years ago."

Full Story

Post #1   11/22/12 7:30:22AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I couldn't help but post this article, so I could dig this up from my past. The first line doesn't make sense out of context, but the rest is what's relative here.

Frank Trigg actually sat behind me at 77. So, I didn't hear too many of these things coming from him of coarse. He was glued to his blackberry...well, he at least pretended to be anyway, when the Baba O'Reilly HL was playing, showing him getting spanked by Hughes.

Hearing him actually address it paints a perfect picture for what seemed to be running through his mind at the time.

Post #2   11/22/12 7:37:43AM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:860-612
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Poor Twinkle Toes, but I have to admit when he said he can't even listen to that song any more I did laugh

Post #3   11/22/12 9:37:06AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
he did give some good fights to hughes though. trigg was very legit IMO. i'll never forget when he had hughes hurt i believe in the second fight and some how hughes just hulks up and out of no where picks up trigg and walks off with him slung over his shoulder. we all went crazy, hughes was truly a genetic freak.

Post #4   11/22/12 10:48:48AM   

goheels

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Similar situation for Forrest... as he is always in Anderson Silva's highlight package.

Post #5   11/22/12 11:17:42AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

he did give some good fights to hughes though. trigg was very legit IMO. i'll never forget when he had hughes hurt i believe in the second fight and some how hughes just hulks up and out of no where picks up trigg and walks off with him slung over his shoulder. we all went crazy, hughes was truly a genetic freak.

Yep. This was the fight that got me into watching MMA.

Post #6   11/22/12 12:13:51PM