Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WWE takes shot at UFC on 'Monday Night Raw'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Coming off a weekend when both the UFC and World Wrestling Entertainment held major pay-per-view events, the pro wrestling juggernaut on its flagship 'Monday Night Raw' show took a direct shot at what it publicly claims is not its competitor.

The WWE regularly puts graphics on its broadcasts talking about beating other sports properties like the NBA and Major League Baseball in television ratings, social media engagement or web site hits. UFC is often mentioned within a grouping, but rarely does something on the graphic come across as a direct putdown in these "Did You Know" bumpers that play on WWE's shows on Monday and Friday.

Both companies, for obvious reasons, will publicly state they are not competitors. For UFC, a company looking for credibility with the public as a major sport, it makes no sense for any comparisons to be made with pro wrestling which does far stronger television ratings. For WWE, it is the dominant force in its world, but when doing talks about business with media and other corporations its executives for the past seven years have been constantly asked questions about the UFC.

LINK

Post #1   11/20/12 8:52:15PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This is actually funny.

Let's see if Dana even responds. WWE is big. Fake as it may be it is BIG. Bigger then the UFC

Post #2   11/20/12 8:57:57PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

This is actually funny.

Let's see if Dana even responds. WWE is big. Fake as it may be it is BIG. Bigger then the UFC

It's big, has been around a lot longer too, but over the past few years the ratings have been dipping a lot, Raw has been very inconsistent with it's ratings, ever since they tried to clean up everything, for Linda's run at congress, viewership has declined. I hardly watch anymore, but I keep up with results online, just so when I do watch, I know somewhat what's going on.

The numbers are a little BS too, Smackdown was at 2 million something viewers while TUF was like around 640,000, that is far from 10 times the amount.

One show SD couldn't beat, was GoldRush

Post #3   11/20/12 9:18:19PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Gold Rush FTW!

Am I the only one that hates the dakota boys?

Post #4   11/20/12 9:22:18PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's kinda funny that they would feel the need to throw a useless stat up like this. It's also interesting that they don't show the comparison of PPV buys, which would be more of an apples to apples approach.

Last edited 11/20/12 9:25PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   11/20/12 9:23:52PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

It's kinda funny that they would feel the need to throw a useless stat up like this. It's also interesting that they don't show the comparison of PPV buys, which would be more of an apples to apples approach.

That's because the only WWE PPV's that do good, are the OG's Royal Rumble, Mania, Summer Slam, and Survivor Series. I think even with UFC PPV declining numbers they still out do the WWE most of the time.

Post #6   11/20/12 9:28:14PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

The numbers are a little BS too, Smackdown was at 2 million something viewers while TUF was like around 640,000, that is far from 10 times the amount.

If you take a closer look at the claim, it isn't even about viewership...it's about social activity. I had to read it a second time as well, so I'm sure 90% of the folks watching live inferred the same.

That's because the only WWE PPV's that do good, are the OG's Royal Rumble, Mania, Summer Slam, and Survivor Series. I think even with UFC PPV declining numbers they still out do the WWE most of the time.

Oh, I know...that's why I think it's funny that they wouldn't bring up that comparison in a million years.

Last edited 11/20/12 9:34PM server time by grappler0000

Post #7   11/20/12 9:34:01PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

If you take a closer look at the claim, it isn't even about viewership...it's about social activity. I had to read it a second time as well, so I'm sure 90% of the folks watching live inferred the same.

Good catch, guess they were telling the truth then, lol.

Post #8   11/20/12 9:39:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
And if it's "social activity" they are counting, do they account for where the activity comes from? I'm fairly certain Smackdown is broadcast in several countries. Does the social activities of all those countries count? The show is also a 3-hour block, if I'm not mistaken. Is the social activity only measured during the broadcast? And if so, do they measure it per hour or per episode. Smackdown would obviously have an advantage over nearly any other program in that regard, if it were measured per episode.

Also, something to take into account is that if the WWE uses this company for statistics, then they know exactly where the numbers come from...making it easy to procure the results they want.

Live programming vs reality television. One show has been on Fridays for several years, while the other is still trying to find its home. One show has been on the same network for a couple of years, while the other just got its start this year.

Just seems like a silly comparison about a really silly stat. Whatever though.

Post #9   11/20/12 9:57:31PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I can imagine the discussion between wrestling crazies regurgitating that 'stat'.

Post #10   11/20/12 10:00:59PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

And if it's "social activity" they are counting, do they account for where the activity comes from? I'm fairly certain Smackdown is broadcast in several countries. Does the social activities of all those countries count? The show is also a 3-hour block, if I'm not mistaken. Is the social activity only measured during the broadcast? And if so, do they measure it per hour or per episode. Smackdown would obviously have an advantage over nearly any other program in that regard, if it were measured per episode.

Also, something to take into account is that if the WWE uses this company for statistics, then they know exactly where the numbers come from...making it easy to procure the results they want.

Live programming vs reality television. One show has been on Fridays for several years, while the other is still trying to find its home. One show has been on the same network for a couple of years, while the other just got its start this year.

what channel is Smackdown on in the states? I would assume it's audience is much bigger than FX's

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   11/20/12 11:24:11PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by george112

This is actually funny.

Dana should not respond - it's apples and oranges imo

Post #12   11/21/12 12:05:55AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I hate to say but the UFC will take a long time to catch WWE...Why? idk but I was at someones house and wanted to watch Bellator and they wanted to watch WWE for the kids that were there...its another baby sitting tool...

Also in other news about the money WWE generates I do know

vince mcmahons wife just spent like 60 million dollars of her own money trying to get into the senate...she tried twice and failed...

WWE dwarfs what the UFC does in money....WWE is a publicly traded company....also merchandising is probably ten times at least than what the UFC does...

THink about it...How many wrestling shirts do you see pple wearing if you go anywhere compared to a UFC exclusive brand...

I hate that crap but the UFC will need lots of time to get to that level...

Last edited 11/21/12 7:18AM server time by kingsmasher

Post #13   11/21/12 7:12:11AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by grappler0000

what channel is Smackdown on in the states? I would assume it's audience is much bigger than FX's

It's on SyFy now, used to be on a free channel for the longest time I think CW.

Post #14   11/21/12 8:26:30AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,788-935
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is just like the WWE. They do stuff like this with stats all the time, to create very misleading information. For example, in one of these posts entitled 'WWE13 dominance' it explained how the game was the number 1 sports title, beating the madden, fifa and nba games that week. What it didn't mention was that these other games all came out months ago... They do it all the time, twisting data to show how they're more popular than much bigger things such as basketball and even mcdonalds. They know they can get away with it because the majority of their viewership is coming from kids. Hell, they even erased Chris Benoit. If you check out their archives, it's as though he never existed.

As for the decline in ratings, we might see them rise again. As BuffaloDave pointed out, the WWE entered the 'pg' era, basically due to Linda McMahon wanting to run for politics (lol). Now that that has failed twice with the 100 million she spent on it down the toilet, we may see WWE get less pg in order to get an older audience. Kids will watch wrestling anyway, I know I did when I was a kid and it was aimed at an older audience (during the attitude era), so it might actually increase in popularity again...

Post #15   11/21/12 8:27:58AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2