Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Robert Drysdale: 'Arrogant' and 'idiot' Anderson Silva wants Georges St. Pierre fight, not Jon Jones, because of size advantage

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Speaking to ProMMAInsider.com, Robert says though Silva is a "phenomenal" fighter, as a person, he is as "arrogant" as they come:

"I think he's phenomenal man. I think he is phenomenal. I just think he's got an attitude man. Yeah. He's great, he's a phenomenal striker, unbelievable man. I keep saying that. He's really that good. But, I don't think much of the guy just because of his attitude. I don't think much of him as a person. I think he's incredibly arrogant and I just don't look up to people like that, I don't care how skilled you are. I really don't. To me, it's like, 'Alright, you're skilled, but you're an idiot.' So, whatever. I don't think that much of the guy as a person."

Chiming in on the much-publicized "super fight' between UFC welterweight champion and Silva, Drysdale believes the only reason Anderson wants the bout is because he knows he can beat "Rush" due to his size.

A fight against light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, however, is a whole different ball game, and according to Drysdale, Silva recognizes that:

"I would like to see him and Jon Jones, man. I think that would be a hard pick. Him and GSP, I think he would have an edge on [him] because he's going to be so much bigger, so much taller. Because he walks around 220-something from what I hear. Him and Jon Jones would be a better match and fun to watch. He knows that he can beat GSP because of the length. His (Silva's) wrestling has improved a lot from preparing for Chael Sonnen. But, that would be GSP's best bet and even so, he wouldn't be much better than Anderson on the ground. Jon Jones, it's a different ball game, he's longer than Anderson Silva and he's a better wrestler. Yeah, he (Silva) knows that."

Let's see, that's now at least six major prominent figures in the fight game that believe Silva is picking on the much smaller man. With Freddie Roach, Tito Ortiz, Martin Kampmann, Cesar Gracie and Firas Zahabi sharing Robert's sentiments.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/20/12 7:23:39PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Could not agree more with Robert

Post #2   11/20/12 7:30:40PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I agree with Drysdale, GSP-Silva would be a mismatch. Silva is a HUGE MW, he's even a pretty big LHW so why call out the much smaller guy? His reach is huge compared to GSP's and he's been drilling TDD for over a year with his recent fights with Sonnen. He never had any intention of fighting GSP before his knee surgery so why call him out after a long lay off?

I didn't like how he said he wouldn't fight Jones because they are friends despite never training together or from what I can gather being around each other much but I never voiced an opinion on it. But Pushing for a fight with GSP when both him and GSP have clear contenders in their weight classes just annoys me. Jones has pretty much cleared out the LHW devision so if its a super fight he wants why not step up and take that one?

It then only really disrupts one weight class, Silva gets his super fight, Jones doesn't have to take a gimme fight and GSP can fight Hendricks or anyone else gunning for a title shot in a pretty clogged up devision.

Anyway, rant over. Drysdale is a cool dude!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   11/20/12 7:35:05PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Pretty much. Hes taking the easier route imo

Post #4   11/20/12 7:45:19PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
None of these fights have even been booked yet and I'm already sick of hearing about them.

Post #5   11/20/12 8:04:04PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
It's about C.R.E.A.M., not size.

Post #6   11/20/12 8:12:29PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,162-1,476
Chips:
I have to agree 100% with Drysdale. I have been saying the same sh*t for a while now.

Post #7   11/20/12 11:01:45PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
I would agree good sir...but who dare be the one to say that to his face...not I

Post #8   11/21/12 12:11:32AM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

None of these fights have even been booked yet and I'm already sick of hearing about them.

Too right. I like Drysdale as a fighter but he should STFU about people he does not know. Wanting him to get KTFO now - People living in glass houses throwing stones - he's the one who needs to stop fighting below his level (in MMA, I know Drysdale's BJJ credentials)

Post #9   11/21/12 12:19:10AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Chips:
Silva knows he coming close to the end and wants to make as much money as possible, and he knows this could close that deal..the 2 top fighters in UFC history, are u fucken kidding, why wouldnt he want to fight GSP..Jones fight wont even match up to the amount of money to be made if Silva vs GSP match could be made..Jones still has a few opponents left in the LHW, Silva and GSP has clean house..and Jones has stated he didnt want to fight Silva and vice verse..the bigger picture is that its the smartest move for both Silva and GSP right now, the biggest draw in UFC history, i can prolly put my life saving on that..

Post #10   11/21/12 1:03:27AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Are you kidding me? Anderson Silva vs. Georges St. Pierre is the better fight for Silva to take for a multitude of selfish reasons, surely, but it is also the more historic option. The two greatest UFC fighters ever, the top two pound for pound fighters in the world for a few years now, will be fighting at a time where they have not squandered any portion of their legacies. Jones vs. Silva is interesting too and would probably be more fun to watch, but it lacks the same dynamic history-making spectacle that Silva vs. GSP would have.

(And GSP can win. He could take down The Spider.)

Post #11   11/21/12 1:31:33AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
Number 1 vs number 2 pound for pound is only interesting if the number 2 is from a higher wieght class. Anderson is the better fighter pound for pound and he has more pounds.
I think silva will fight gsp and jones but it makes more sense to fight the smaller guy first.

Post #12   11/21/12 5:50:26AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I definitely agree with Drysdale. If however Silva's long term plan is to solidify GOAT by beating GSP THEN beating Jones after, I can see the sense in it. If he did it the other way around then there is more chance of spoiling the GSP fight by having already lost to Jones. But that of course is assuming those are his plans.

Post #13   11/21/12 5:52:06AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-43

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,344-866
Chips:
This is what I've been sayin since the fight was brought up

Post #14   11/21/12 6:01:20AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Everyone knows this...If this was a schoolyard fight pple would ask Silva why do you wanna pick on a guy smaller than you...

OF course he wants the money...Who can blame him so let him and Ed Soares roll out the excuses...

I seriously doubt if Silva ever faces Weidman period...

I am betting this so called Superfight if it happens would be Silvas last fight besides him stepping in for some other BS fight to finish his contract...

Post #15   11/21/12 7:26:58AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2