Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

GSP or Silva - Which Champion has a tougher fight stylistically?

Print  
So which champion has a tougher matchup stylistically?
GSP with Johny Hendricks 14 45%
Anderson Silva with Chris Weidman 17 55%
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So supposedly the blueprints for beating Anderson Silva are to take him down, hold him there and avoid the submissions.

The supposed blueprints for GSP is to land a clean power shot and make him question his heart.

Hendricks has the ability to keep the fight standing and in his last 5 fights he has finished 3 in the opening round. But in the 2 decisions with Pierce and Koscheck, they were both razor close.

Silva's supposedly got bad takedown defence but it's weird that Chael can take Silva down in 6 straight rounds but in one round Silva barely loses his balance at all throughout a couple of takedown attempts.
Weidman though has never been in any controversy and has never been hurt or in a dangerous position.

So which champion has a tougher matchup stylistically?

I'd say they're identical, but sometimes I question whether Silva "let" the Sonnen match be a close match for marketting purposes. So I'm picking Hendricks

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   11/18/12 2:27:51PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
I dont see a clear #1 contender at mw, I dont think weidman has earned it yet, honestly id put boestch ahead of him, beating okami who was just the #1 contender and then derailing the lombard hype train impressed me more then beating maia, who immediately droped to WW and Munoz

Which why im so glad there fighting, winner deserves a shot

To answer the question, Hendricks, I think he has a great shot, I dont see weidman even making it clise with silva

Last edited 11/18/12 2:40PM server time by king_katool
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/18/12 2:36:55PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,147-613
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm gonna go with equal. Both challengers have about the same chance IMO.

Post #3   11/18/12 3:19:13PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:484-292
Chips:
Honestly I think Hendricks has the best chance. His TDD and concrete block could put GSP away quick.

This coming from a Weidman nuthugger.

Post #4   11/18/12 3:28:48PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I think style wise you have to say Anderson has a tougher challenge just because he has a bit more trouble with wrestlers. GSP dominates every wrestler based fighter he faces and in my opinion Hendricks wont be any different. GSP will finish Johnny I think, Hendricks has nothing off his back and when GSP puts him there and starts pounding him into a puddle I think he will wilt away like a dying flower.

Post #5   11/18/12 4:25:20PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Silva by a mile he has an extreme weakness to wrestling and Weidmans BJJ game can hang with anyone in the division...He also has a long reach...

Come on man...I cant believe anyone would actually think GSP....I thought Hendricks lost to Koscheck but the UFC needed Hendricks to win for a future title shot against GSP...

I dont think Hendricks could beat Condit or Rory...Just cause he one punched Fitch and Kampmann with a left just means they fully underestimated...

I think Kampmann just never thought he would get hit and would just get taken down...and surprise...

Post #6   11/18/12 6:25:41PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,775-1,119
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Silva by a mile he has an extreme weakness to wrestling and Weidmans BJJ game can hang with anyone in the division...He also has a long reach...

Come on man...I cant believe anyone would actually think GSP....I thought Hendricks lost to Koscheck but the UFC needed Hendricks to win for a future title shot against GSP...

I dont think Hendricks could beat Condit or Rory...Just cause he one punched Fitch and Kampmann with a left just means they fully underestimated...

I think Kampmann just never thought he would get hit and would just get taken down...and surprise...

yet a one elbow vs a rusty injured fighter makes him the best. And how is takedown defense Silva's biggest weakness if he still wins?

try harder

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #7   11/18/12 9:26:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by kingsmasher

yet a one elbow vs a rusty injured fighter makes him the best. And how is takedown defense Silva's biggest weakness if he still wins?

try harder

I think kingsmasher's comments can be ridiculous, but he made legitimate points here, and they shouldn't be disregarded as trolling by default.

Post #8   11/18/12 10:14:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I think Hendricks is perhaps a bit overrated thus far. He is a great talent, and deserves the next shot if that is indeed what happens, but I don't think he has demonstrated any particular aspect of his game that would be a threat to GSP.

I think Weidman's strength and wrestling ability will be far more problematic for Silva (though I think Silva would still win).

Post #9   11/18/12 10:17:00PM   

wurzel

Learning to Sprawl

wurzel Avatar

Career:74-76
Chips:
I think both fighters retain their belts. Silva should have a slighty harder time doing so.

Post #10   11/18/12 11:35:48PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,775-1,531
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Weidman could use his wrestling and ground game to win because Silva has had problems with great wrestlers before (ie the first Chael Sonnen fight).

Last edited 11/19/12 1:58PM server time by tepid55
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/19/12 1:55:02PM