Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rousey gets UFC belt

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't know about that

I think her vs cyborg should have done for title belt

Post #31   11/18/12 7:04:05PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

What were the ratings for Kaufman vs Cohen?

who's Cohen?

I'll assume you mean Coenen...and that wasn't even the co-main event, let alone main event so that point is invalid

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #32   11/18/12 8:31:53PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Gogoplatapus

who's Cohen?

I'll assume you mean Coenen...and that wasn't even the co-main event, let alone main event so that point is invalid

I believe the point was unless Rousey has been in the fight, most women's MMA fights have not gotten high ratings. Why is that point not valid?

Last edited 11/18/12 8:44PM server time by MALICE
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   11/18/12 8:43:14PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
So basically what we can gather from this thread is that sexism is pretty widespread in MMA, even amongst hardcore fans. Sorry, but it's true.

There was no contention when Aldo and Cruz acquired their belts unchallenged, because they proved themselves to be the best in their divisions under the WEC banner, and when WEC merged with the UFC (thus becoming one company), the WEC champions became UFC champions. There were no existing UFC champions, so there wasn't need for a unification bout.

When Dan Henderson came to the UFC from PRIDE, he had to have unification bouts with both Silva AND Rampage. Do you think he was just simply the #1 contender? No. These were billed as unification bouts.

Had there been challengers for Aldo, Cruz and now Rousey, there is little doubt there would have been unification bouts.

But Rousey is a woman, and as people have clearly admitted in this thread, many don't consider her or other female fighters to be worthy of a UFC title, so suddenly the UFC has to change tradition to pacify fans with a demonstration of Rousey's worthiness to compete in the UFC. Do you all realize that blacks had to prove themselves above and beyond their white competitors in the MLB and other mainstream American sports before they became a normal part of the culture? I'm sorry, but this is nothing new. Rousey and many other female fighters have more than showed that they have a place in the big show, time and time again, I am fairly certain that she didn't have to give sexual favors to Dana White.

This is what the word "hogwash" was invented for.

Last edited 11/18/12 8:48PM server time by warglory
2 total post edits

Post #34   11/18/12 8:45:52PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by warglory

So basically what we can gather from this thread is that sexism is pretty widespread in MMA, even amongst hardcore fans. Sorry, but it's true.

There was no contention when Aldo and Cruz acquired their belts unchallenged, because they proved themselves to be the best in their divisions under the WEC banner, and when WEC merged with the UFC (thus becoming one company), the WEC champions became UFC champions. There were no existing UFC champions, so there wasn't need for a unification bout.

When Dan Henderson came to the UFC from PRIDE, he had to have unification bouts with both Silva AND Rampage. Do you think he was just simply the #1 contender? No. These were billed as unification bouts.

Had there been challengers for Aldo, Cruz and now Rousey, there is little doubt there would have been unification bouts.

But Rousey is a woman, and as people have clearly admitted in this thread, many don't consider her or other female fighters to be worthy of a UFC title, so suddenly the UFC has to change tradition to pacify fans with a demonstration of Rousey's worthiness to compete in the UFC. Do you all realize that blacks had to prove themselves above and beyond their white competitors in the MLB and other mainstream American sports before they became a normal part of the culture? I'm sorry, but this is nothing new. Rousey and many other female fighters have more than showed that they have a place in the big show, time and time again, I am fairly certain they she didn't have to give sexual favors to Dana White.

I guess whoever said Dana is banging her could be a sexist comment but nothing else in this thread has struck me as sexist.

Bottom line is that aside from lightning striking, the product is boring and there is only one relevant fighter in the world. One.

Don't believe the hype.

Post #35   11/18/12 8:52:32PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Gogoplatapus

who's Cohen?

I believe the point was unless Rousey has been in the fight, most women's MMA fights have not gotten high ratings. Why is that point not valid?

It is valid. Guys are trying to convince themselves that this is good because Uncle Dana says it's good.

Post #36   11/18/12 8:54:16PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by warglory

But Rousey is a woman, and as people have clearly admitted in this thread, many don't consider her or other female fighters to be worthy of a UFC title, so suddenly the UFC has to change tradition to pacify fans with a demonstration of Rousey's worthiness to compete in the UFC. Do you all realize that blacks had to prove themselves above and beyond their white competitors in the MLB and other mainstream American sports before they became a normal part of the culture? I'm sorry, but this is nothing new. Rousey and many other female fighters have more than showed that they have a place in the big show, time and time again, I am fairly certain they she didn't have to give sexual favors to Dana White.

I guess whoever said Dana is banging her could be a sexist comment but nothing else in this thread has struck me as sexist.

Bottom line is that aside from lightning striking, the product is boring and there is only one relevant fighter in the world. One.

Don't believe the hype.

"I like the idea of All Womans UFC being totally separate so I can avoid it entirely." This, sir, is sexist.

Post #37   11/18/12 8:54:19PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by MALICE

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Gogoplatapus

who's Cohen?

It is valid. Guys are trying to convince themselves that this is good because Uncle Dana says it's good.

So you're saying that hardcore MMA fans aren't experienced enough in the viewing of this sport to recognize skilled fighters vs the unskilled, male or female? Give me a break.

Post #38   11/18/12 8:57:15PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

What are you guys talking about? The Flyweights had a tourney because it was a new division. This is just transferring a division from Strikeforce to the UFC. The same thing happened when Aldo came from the WEC to the UFC. I don't understand the complaints. This is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

Post #39   11/18/12 9:06:51PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory
"I like the idea of All Womans UFC being totally separate so I can avoid it entirely." This, sir, is sexist.

I don't see how this statement is sexist. I don't like watching the WNBA, but I do enjoy watching the NBA. Why do you think that is? Does it make me sexist? I don't want women's or men's golf, tennis, and soccer for the exact same reason. Bottom line is, the statement was not sexist. You have just played the sexist card for no apparent reason.

Last edited 11/18/12 9:15PM server time by MALICE

Post #40   11/18/12 9:07:19PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by warglory

I don't see how this statement is sexist. I don't like watching the WNBA, but I do enjoy watching the NBA. Why do you think that is? Does it make me sexist? I don't want women's or men's golf, tennis, and soccer for the exact same reason. Bottom line is, the statement was not sexist. You have just played the sexist card for no apparent reason.

The WNBA is a totally separate organization from the NBA, and virtually all the other sports you mentioned also all have separate leagues promoting their individual sports with varying degrees of success. The UFC has a far different format than virtually all other sports in existence, because it promotes itself as a brand (like the WWE), as opposed to simply being an organizing federation for team and/or individual athletes.

Unlike female variations (i.e. the WNBA), with separate management, money and production values, the UFC's production, international reach, and financial clout covers every division of athletes in it's organization, and allows persons to dictate their own destiny. So for a fan to say that they would rather keep women off of main cards, and reserve them for their own brand within the same organization, that is blatantly sexist and a clear demonstration of giving men better opportunities than women, when it doesn't have to be that way (unlike other sports).

I know you and others who support your opinion of the "separate but equal" concept think it's best for those who don't like female mma, but think about that statement for a moment, and how that has worked out in a historical context.

And for the record, if someone said the same thing about female tennis players not needing to be on the same card as male tennis players (as that is one of the few sports in the world where females and males are respected equally, if not more so for the women), that would be equally sexist, whether you personally enjoy watching tennis or not.

Last edited 11/18/12 9:57PM server time by warglory
2 total post edits

Post #41   11/18/12 9:54:30PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Gogoplatapus

who's Cohen?

because you cant compare the ratings for an event headlined by Rousey and an event that wasn't headlined by Coenen vs Kaufman unless you compare Rousey vs ___ to Noons vs Diaz II. That is why it is invalid. That's like comparing the PPV buys between GSP vs Condit and Bisping vs Stann.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #42   11/18/12 11:01:36PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

But Rousey is a woman, and as people have clearly admitted in this thread, many don't consider her or other female fighters to be worthy of a UFC title, so suddenly the UFC has to change tradition to pacify fans with a demonstration of Rousey's worthiness to compete in the UFC. Do you all realize that blacks had to prove themselves above and beyond their white competitors in the MLB and other mainstream American sports before they became a normal part of the culture? I'm sorry, but this is nothing new. Rousey and many other female fighters have more than showed that they have a place in the big show, time and time again, I am fairly certain that she didn't have to give sexual favors to Dana White.

this x 1000. I need to STL

Post #43   11/18/12 11:04:59PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Makes sense to me. They bring in a new division so the current title holder should get the belt. She's more than earned it, in my opinion.

Exactly.

There is no reason to have a title fight when you already have a champ. It wouldn't make any sense.

It would be like stripping her of the title.

Post #44   11/18/12 11:29:23PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:
Hmmm. Some very good points. Thank you, warglory, for your well thought out posts.

Post #45   11/19/12 7:58:34AM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5