Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rousey gets UFC belt

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

What are you guys talking about? The Flyweights had a tourney because it was a new division. This is just transferring a division from Strikeforce to the UFC. The same thing happened when Aldo came from the WEC to the UFC. I don't understand the complaints. This is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

I would disagree with your statement, "This is exactly how it is suppose to happen." It may be how it happens, but I don't think it is how it is suppose to happen. My thoughts are when a new division is brought into an organization, the two fighters considered to be at the top of the division should fight in the first title fight. The winner will be the new champion.

Simply proclaiming her the champ because she is the champ in another organization is not right. When a title is left vacant, or a new division is created, two fighters should be chosen to compete for the title. No freebies. Just my thoughts.

I didn't think this topic would provoke anyone, but apparently there were stronger feelings on the subject than I had originally believed.

Post #16   11/18/12 1:37:39PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I just don't want to lose any male fights over this. Keep it on separate cards please

Post #17   11/18/12 1:54:45PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:
I just don't think there is enough depth for even one women's division.

Post #18   11/18/12 2:00:53PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

I just don't want to lose any male fights over this. Keep it on separate cards please

I like the idea of All Womans UFC being totally separate so I can avoid it entirely.

This whole Rousy bubble could pop with one lady that can defend the armbar for a round or two, assuming their 5 round fights, followed by 3 of the sloppiest uneventful 3 rounds in history.

The only reason Womans stuff worked in Strikeforce and 'works' in Belator is because it's hardcore fans that watch and tolerate. Mainstream won't tolerate this.

I compare this to having to hear about Tim Tebow for the last 4 years. Much more to talk about but we get hung up on some bullshit.

Post #19   11/18/12 2:05:05PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

I just don't think there is enough depth for even one women's division.

Post #20   11/18/12 2:11:11PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MALICE

Posted by grappler0000

What are you guys talking about? The Flyweights had a tourney because it was a new division. This is just transferring a division from Strikeforce to the UFC. The same thing happened when Aldo came from the WEC to the UFC. I don't understand the complaints. This is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

I would disagree with your statement, "This is exactly how it is suppose to happen." It may be how it happens, but I don't think it is how it is suppose to happen. My thoughts are when a new division is brought into an organization, the two fighters considered to be at the top of the division should fight in the first title fight. The winner will be the new champion.

Simply proclaiming her the champ because she is the champ in another organization is not right. When a title is left vacant, or a new division is created, two fighters should be chosen to compete for the title. No freebies. Just my thoughts.

I didn't think this topic would provoke anyone, but apparently there were stronger feelings on the subject than I had originally believed.

When left in context, as it should be read, it makes perfect sense. In response to implications of unfair/special treatment, yes, this is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

Last edited 11/18/12 2:19PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   11/18/12 2:15:56PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Weaksauce.....FLW Div had a tourney......I wonder if Dana's hitin' it?

But the UFC didn't own any fighting organizations with a 125 pound weight class, if I'm not mistaken. When the UFC moved over the 135 and 145 pound divisions from the WEC, the WEC champs were crowned as the UFC champs of the newly formed divisions. Rousey is the Strikeforce champ and really the only reason the UFC has decided to add a women's division.Giving her the belt makes sense to me.

Post #22   11/18/12 2:23:18PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Everybody is making such great points.
I'm going to try to go through all this and make as balanced as a statement I can.

First,I'm not a huge fan of this but I see and understand why some are okay with it.
My biggest problem is that for a long time Dana said their wouldn't be a UFC womans division until their was better talent.
Now that they have a woman division,to showcase how deep it is since that statement we get an already crowned champion.
Granted this is a new division,but I would think,especially with the ladies division you would want to showcase how deep the division is,as opposed to go and just do the opposite. Couldn't they just find some former smackgirl fighter,load up on highlight clips and at least make a fight?
Imagine if when Overeem came to the UFC if they would have just handed him the championship. Why didn't they?
Because their was contention and competition.

Now truth be told their was already a UFC champion as well,and these situations are different. I'm not pretending they aren't. But the challenge is going to be showcasing the rest of the talent in this division. Perhaps a ladies tuf?
How much about this is acquiring the division or just the face behind it?

Now in the defense of the UFC,I can't just see them sinking the division.
I'm sure their thinking of ways to build it for the better and most likely will.

But I don't think this is a great way to start.

Post #23   11/18/12 2:37:28PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000
When left in context, as it should be read, it makes perfect sense. In response to implications of unfair/special treatment, yes, this is exactly how it was supposed to happen.

I apologize. I did not intentionally misquote you. That being said, mrsmiley's post has hit the nail on the head so nothing else need be said.

Last edited 11/18/12 3:32PM server time by MALICE

Post #24   11/18/12 3:32:19PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,788-935
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Bet you didn't say 'I wonder if Dana's hittin' it?' when Aldo and Cruz got their belts...

Post #25   11/18/12 4:11:46PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

The only reason Womans stuff worked in Strikeforce and 'works' in Belator is because it's hardcore fans that watch and tolerate. Mainstream won't tolerate this.

Rousey's fight with Kaufmann drew the highest ratings of any Strikeforce event in 2012 and the 2nd highest ratings they pulled in were for her fight with Tate.

Outside of Overeem and Fedor she was the biggest draw in the entire organization so I think you're underestimating her appeal to casual viewers.

Post #26   11/18/12 4:43:55PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Rousey's fight with Kaufmann drew the highest ratings of any Strikeforce event in 2012 and the 2nd highest ratings they pulled in were for her fight with Tate.

Outside of Overeem and Fedor she was the biggest draw in the entire organization so I think you're underestimating her appeal to casual viewers.

One fight.

What were the ratings for Kaufman vs Cohen?

Post #27   11/18/12 4:45:58PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

One fight.

What were the ratings for Kaufman vs Cohen?

Good Point. It just seems to me they will be relying solely on Rousey's name to carry the division. How many potential opponents are there for Rousey at this time?

Last edited 11/18/12 4:57PM server time by MALICE

Post #28   11/18/12 4:56:52PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Nothing to see here, this is standard practice.

Don't worry too much about sub-par women's fights appearing on loads of cards people.

The only female fights, will be when Rousey defends her belt. Dana has said this on numerous occasions. The depth of talent to support a division isn't there yet.

I think the challengers to her title will likely get one fight deals, with the option of more fights in case anyone beats Ronda.

Post #29   11/18/12 6:34:35PM   

spang714

MMA Regular

spang714 Avatar

Career:633-367
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

...I think this

Post #30   11/18/12 6:39:40PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5