Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva's takedown defense

Print  
Anderson Silva's Takedown defense
Good 15 63%
Bad 9 38%
Posted By Message

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I am just curious what the majority of people think about Anderson's takedown defense.

Post #1   11/18/12 3:29:28AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Against orthodox fighters - the combination of the distance he can put between him and his opponent, his footwork and the range at which he can counter makes him incredibly hard to takedown.

Southpaws can get him with a doubleleg if they can navigate the distance

Post #2   11/18/12 1:06:37PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
He has no tdd against good wrestlers...but basically the majority of his opponents cant wrestle..Thats why he doesnt want to face weidman...

Post #3   11/18/12 1:19:14PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

He has no tdd against good wrestlers...but basically the majority of his opponents cant wrestle..Thats why he doesnt want to face weidman...

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   11/18/12 2:52:55PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
depends if the ref let's Silva grab the fighter's shorts to keep the distance.

Post #5   11/18/12 3:31:12PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,159-691
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I personally think it's as good as he wants it to be. I think it might be a marketing tool for his image if he had a hole in his game. But then if it actually was a hole in his game and he was inviting people to try it surely that's a stupid thing to do? And surely it'd give his opponents confidence that they might beat him? But yet is he likely to get strikers such as Bonnar to try and wrestle him instead of sticking to his normal fight plan? It's impossible to judge just how good he is, it's unmeasurable because of the number of guys who haven't had a chance to turn the MMA fight into a wrestling match because the fight was over.

All I can say is Statistically:

Baring in mind a rib injury he was taken down by Sonnen 3 times in the first fight out of 7 attempts. In the second fight it was 1/4.

So in 6 rounds thats 4/11... against a guy who outwrestled Bisping, Stann, Okami, Marquardt, Baker, Horn, Miller etc...

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #6   11/18/12 3:59:10PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

I personally think it's as good as he wants it to be. I think it might be a marketing tool for his image if he had a hole in his game. But then if it actually was a hole in his game and he was inviting people to try it surely that's a stupid thing to do? And surely it'd give his opponents confidence that they might beat him? But yet is he likely to get strikers such as Bonnar to try and wrestle him instead of sticking to his normal fight plan? It's impossible to judge just how good he is, it's unmeasurable because of the number of guys who haven't had a chance to turn the MMA fight into a wrestling match because the fight was over.

All I can say is Statistically:

Baring in mind a rib injury he was taken down by Sonnen 3 times in the first fight out of 7 attempts. In the second fight it was 1/4.

So in 6 rounds thats 4/11... against a guy who outwrestled Bisping, Stann, Okami, Marquardt, Baker, Horn, Miller etc...

All those guys in the end arent wrestlers period..Bisping I thought beat Chael..Okami has decent TDD...well hes suppose to but lets be honest who has he fought and used his TDD effectively that can wrestle and he won...

Boetsch and Chael would be a fight I want to see...

Post #7   11/18/12 6:29:34PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I see a fight of a man who can fight guys at 205
Vs a man who fights at 170

Gsp will get him down but I think the spider will nail him eventually

Post #8   11/18/12 7:08:02PM