Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Liddell Admits To After-Hours Rounds Before Bout With Jackson

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Chuck Liddell admits he made after-hours rounds of Las Vegas nightclubs in the week before his Ultimate Fighting Championship light-heavyweight title defense against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

LINK

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #1   5/31/07 5:30:36PM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
And here we go again...

Post #2   5/31/07 6:09:44PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm really sick of hearing all of this garbage every time a fighter loses. Ohhh I had a staph infection, I had a torn acl/mcl/pulled calf/hamstring/quad/deltoid/whatever.... ohhh I _partied too hard!_ although to be fair chuck is not and never has been one of the fighters to use such excuses himself, it's still equally sad to see all of these fans and the popular media try to hand him excuses.

Post #3   5/31/07 6:15:36PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,179-778
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
its not like partying had any affect on the fight, anyone could have been extremely hung over went a minute into that fight. maybe if the fight went deep this excuse could be understandable. Chuck made a mistake and got caught by Rampage end of story.

Post #4   5/31/07 6:19:00PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Chuck actually isn't making any excuses...

He said that he always goes out when he fights in Vegas (stating that he did it before both fights with Tito)... It seemed like the guy writing the article said it may have made a difference, that and Jackson's trainer used it as motivation... Other than that, Chuck just said that he got caught and that he'd be back...

Cool to see that article in the LA times... Do ya'all get a lot of that out there?

Post #5   5/31/07 6:19:41PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:
If you read the article, Chuck makes no excuses whatsoever. He says that he has always stayed out late, that he didn't drink, and that he has done this before other victories.

Does that mean it didn't contribute? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. But you can't say that The Iceman is making excuses when he says that he made a mistake, caught caught, and got beat and that this had nothing to do with it.

That's just not an excuse.

Post #6   5/31/07 6:40:30PM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,179-778
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
im not saying that chuck is the one making excuses, its the media that only follows chuck that pisses me off. they seem to think this is a huge upset and are making excuses like this that are completely bogus. Chuck has handled this like a real fighter, not making excuses and not taking away credit from rampage.

Last edited 5/31/07 8:02PM server time by Lord_Lenny
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/31/07 8:01:02PM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm really sick of hearing all of this garbage every time a fighter loses. Ohhh I had a staph infection, I had a torn acl/mcl/pulled calf/hamstring/quad/deltoid/whatever.... ohhh I _partied too hard!_ although to be fair chuck is not and never has been one of the fighters to use such excuses himself, it's still equally sad to see all of these fans and the popular media try to hand him excuses.

Post #8   5/31/07 8:18:25PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Thats not why Chuck Liddell lost. Going into his fight with Quinton Jackson, Liddell was suffering from a detached retina and groin problems and concussions and his MCL and his ACL and his broken legs and high cholestorol and twisted knees and torn calves and fractured shins and broken ribs and alcohol poisoning (he was out partying with Sandis Ozolinsh)and hip flexors and hip pointers and back spasms and kidney disease and UCL tears and stubbed toes and broken finger and thigh strains and sprained wrists and dislocated shoulders and stingers and hepatitis and brain hemorrhages and heart attacks and broken collarbones and dislocated jaws and dental injuries and thumbs to the eye and he got Punk'd this one time and arthritis and diabetes and one time a piano fell on him and there was this other time when he was facing an evil wizard and the wizard cursed his first-born and Chuck had to travel over yonder plains and mountains to recover the fabled Amulet of Agarazoth to lift the curse and keep his son's head from exploding and he didn't get hurt TOO badly that time, although he got singed a little from fighting the great Red Dragon(or maybe it was Randy Couture)that guarded the treasure, but the voyage took a couple weeks, and thyroid disease and getting shot in the face (hunting trip with Dick Cheney) and Seasonal Affective Disorder and Parkinson's Disease and the flesh eating virus and malaria and tuberculosis and smallpox and polio and rickets and the shingles and food poisoning and an unfortunate series of devastating paper-cuts.

This would of course explain his lackluster performance against Rampage.

Post #9   5/31/07 8:56:44PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
You know thats complete bullshit, and he just made himself sound so much of a jackass. I'd rather see him get outclassed, which he did, than have him make an excuse. But see heres the catch, for him saying that makes him sound even more unprofessional. Did he seriously think that would give him anymore credibility on why he lost? He pretty much said, "hey I don't take my job seriously, nor my opponents. I am not worth all the money I get paid, oh and yeah, I drink too much, and blow percocets before interviews."

Post #10   5/31/07 9:34:48PM   

chris_baisden04

Learning to Sprawl

chris_baisden04 Avatar

Career:50-27
Camp: F.W.O.
Chips:
okay chuck liddell was such an over rated fighter, I dont think he has good standup at all, he was just going against a buncha UFC Noobs and when he went against a real top class fighter like jackson he got owned for the second time!!

Post #11   5/31/07 10:47:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by chris_baisden04

okay chuck liddell was such an over rated fighter, I dont think he has good standup at all, he was just going against a buncha UFC Noobs and when he went against a real top class fighter like jackson he got owned for the second time!!

You are right...other than knocking out a Dutch Kickboxer, a UFC Hall of Famer/Olympic alternate twice, a King of Pancrase, a World Kickboxing champion, a NCAA Division I National Wrestling Champion...with wins over a World Abu Dhabi Champion, a BJJ Blackbelt/Pro Boxer, having 13 of 20 wins by KO, with 8 of those wins over current or former UFC champions, having lost to only 3 men and avenging all but 1 loss, he has had an easy climb up the ladder.

Posted by bayonetxwork

You know thats complete bullshit, and he just made himself sound so much of a jackass. I'd rather see him get outclassed, which he did, than have him make an excuse. But see heres the catch, for him saying that makes him sound even more unprofessional. Did he seriously think that would give him anymore credibility on why he lost? He pretty much said, "hey I don't take my job seriously, nor my opponents. I am not worth all the money I get paid, oh and yeah, I drink too much, and blow percocets before interviews."

Since you only read the title and didn't actually read the article, I'll sum it up. Chuck says his staying out late did not affect his performance...he is just a night owl and has always done this...oh, and he wasn't drinking; just hangin out. Rampage said that Chuck's staying out late and living it up may have cost him the match. Chuck never used the excuse...the title of the article suggests a lot more than is actually there. If anyone is making the suggestion, it would either be Rampage's camp or the author himself.

Post #12   6/1/07 2:07:13AM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:

Yeah cause guys like Couture, Babalu, Ortiz, Horn, Belfort, Randleman, etc. are easy washed up cans right?... They have been around and know what they are doing and are amazing athletes, I would like to see you go in against one and not last for more than a few seconds. Shit, I doubt you could even get through me in a few seconds.

Post #13   6/1/07 2:41:03AM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
You have to admit it does sounds a little Tim Sylvia, after he was taught some manners by Randy

Post #14   6/1/07 7:37:21AM   

Ogre365

MMA Regular

Career:84-60
Chips:

With all do respect Randy Couture isn't a noob. It wasn't that his past opponents were noobs, it was because the fighting styles matched up good for Chuck. Rampage brought an aggressive good standup game and Chuck hasn't competed against that in a long time.

Post #15   6/1/07 11:52:08AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2