Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BJ Penn Serious About His UFC Comeback with Stacked Team of Training Partners

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,115-716
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by voodoo-jitsu

Posted by postman

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by tallica62

I'm not really excited to see BJ back...against anyone really...

i am

Me too! How can anyone not want to see BJ Penn fight? Thats just nonsense.

Did someone say nonsense

I'm with tallica on this one

Really Why? What would make you not want to see one of the best fighters to ever live fight? His fights are always good. I'm having a hard time understanding why you wouldn't want to see him fight?

i just think that the window of success has closed on him. even in his prime he wasn't all that motivated, i doubt he's coming into his later fights very motivated either. the top guys are going to be too much for him. he's been around a long time, and i agree with you he was one of the best. if he stepped aside and stopped fighting it wouldn't hurt my feelings any. or it could be that i just never cared for him

Post #16   11/15/12 4:23:00PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm with postman. Bj fighting is a treat for us all. Worse case scenario is he loses but doesn't everyone already think that's going to happen? Like postman said his fights are never boring and he is dangerous basically everywhere the fight goes. Imo i wouldnt be surprised if he actually won the fight.

Post #17   11/15/12 4:28:54PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Anyone else from Canada want to chime in on how badly BJ is going to get whupped lol?

To me this will be a good indicator as to just how good Rory's wrestling really is. He's looked great outwrestling guys who couldn't wrestle a mop bucket out of a broom closet, but this will be a stern test.

I"d rather see BJ at 155, but he's not an easy fight for anyone in any division. Really psyched for this one, hopefully it's a good scrap.

Post #18   11/15/12 5:02:26PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I"d rather see BJ at 155, but he's not an easy fight for anyone in any division. Really psyched for this one, hopefully it's a good scrap.

Same here!! Hopefully the comeback is for this fight, then a move back down to 155.

Post #19   11/15/12 6:04:48PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Good for him.
And it should be a decent fight. I'll definitely watch. But I'll watch from the perspective of "can he do it?"

And if he wins then what? It'll take a lot more than a victory over Rory to convince me he's not at that Tito-Ortiz-a-year-ago stage of his career.

Post #20   11/16/12 10:27:55AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fans are sooooo shallow. Hes a washed up bum despite going to a draw with at the time the 2nd ranked welterweight in the world Fitch. So by everyones logic Erick Silva should retire since Fitch clearly beat him. Get it together posters

Post #21   11/17/12 11:31:25AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
ill take BJ to run through Rory its not even close Rory is in big big trouble

Post #22   11/17/12 12:46:28PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Fans are sooooo shallow. Hes a washed up bum despite going to a draw with at the time the 2nd ranked welterweight in the world Fitch. So by everyones logic Erick Silva should retire since Fitch clearly beat him. Get it together posters

By that argument alone, no, Penn shouldn't retire, but there's other factors and this is an invalid comparison. Silva's young, athletic, relatively injury free, and a physically big guy at WW. A loss to Fitch could motivate him to take his opponents' strengths into consideration, to intelligently gameplan and create opportunities instead of waiting for an opening.

On the other hand, BJ doesn't have anything else to prove. He's beaten some of the best, never been submitted or knocked out cold, and he's not getting any younger. He's also on the smaller side for WW, and while I think he could have some exciting fights at LW, I don't see his skillset as especially problematic for guys like Bendo and Maynard.

Like others I see this going like GSP - Penn 2. Rory's gonna get ahold of Penn and ragdoll him around, laying a beating on him that doesn't quite stop him but leaves no doubt who dominated.

Frankly, win or lose here, if BJ's still motivated to fight, I'd like to see him get to 155 and welcome Gil Melendez to the UFC. Easy to market, introduces the casual fans to one of the best by fighting one of the best of all time, and it helps determine Melendez's real chances in the UFC without giving him a title shot immediately.

Last edited 11/17/12 1:24PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   11/17/12 1:23:56PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I wanna see Bj fight badly, he is one of the only true fighters in the game and fights anyone. He has power which could get in the way of Rory's hype train. I noticed in a fight Rory seemed like he got rocked and he seemed like he was lucky to get the take-down, maybe in Che Mills fight. If BJ cracks him hard and he can't get the takedown, because Bj has some of the best TDD in history, than this could be a quick win for BJ. One thing I will never buy are the Training hard rumors and the afterfight excuses for Bj, it gets really old.

Post #24   11/17/12 1:33:40PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
the BJ melendo fight sounds good, and I coined Melendo, im so good jk lol

Post #25   11/17/12 1:50:07PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2