Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Martin Kampmann: Georges St. Pierre vs Anderson Silva is not the ‘super fight’ to make

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
According to Martin Kampmann, a bout between Georges St. Pierre and Anderson Silva is not the 'super fight' to make after UFC 154. 'Hitman' argues that a showdown between Silva and light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is much more intriguing ... and way more super.

What do Tito Ortiz, Freddie Roach and Martin Kampmann have in common?

They all believe a contest between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and welterweight champions, Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre, is not the 'super fight' to make because of the fact "The Spider" is simply too big for the French-Canadian.

They all could very well be spot on with their assessments, given that Silva walks around at 215 to 220 pounds, while "Rush" probably doesn't even break the 200-pound mark on any given day.

Furthermore, Ortiz believes a showdown between heavyweight title holder Junior dos Santos and light heavyweight kingpin, Jon Jones, is a much more even fight. Kampmann, meanwhile, shares the same sentiments as just about any other mixed martial arts (MMA) fan, saying a fight between "Bones" and "The Spider" is the "super fight" to make.

In the Dane's conversation with ESPN, he declares St. Pierre would get knocked out by the Brazilian bomber:

"I think [St-Pierre] is going to get knocked out. That's my honest answer. Everything aside, I'd much rather see Anderson Silva fight Jon Jones. [Silva] is calling out the smaller guy. I'd like to see him fight Jon Jones. I think that's a much more interesting fight, and that's not just from my personal perspective. It's also from a fan's perspective."

Link

Last edited 11/14/12 6:40AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/14/12 6:39:59AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:647-349
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
meh...one or the other, im sick of all this superfight talk. The great thing about the ufc is that there is always awesome match ups anyways.

Post #2   11/14/12 6:46:02AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
'Hey guys...ME! I want to fight GSP after beating Hendricks, don't take this shot away from me'

Post #3   11/14/12 8:58:26AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

'Hey guys...ME! I want to fight GSP after beating Hendricks, don't take this shot away from me'

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Even if Silva and Jones is the more exciting match up. Kampmann didnt need to bring it up, he clearly wants GSP if he beats Hendricks.

Post #4   11/14/12 9:05:55AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by airkerma

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment. Even if Silva and Jones is the more exciting match up. Kampmann didnt need to bring it up, he clearly wants GSP if he beats Hendricks.

If Kampmann beats Johnny I think he deserves a shot at GSP, so I dont blame him for saying the things he's saying..

Post #5   11/14/12 9:25:56AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Even if that is the case he is still correct in his assessment. Silva v Jones is the real superfight here. Silva v GSP is a mismatch due to the size difference.

Post #6   11/14/12 9:35:54AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by airkerma

If Kampmann beats Johnny I think he deserves a shot at GSP, so I dont blame him for saying the things he's saying..

feed him to Diaz for a #1 contender fight. I'd like to see Kampmann's face end up like like this

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   11/14/12 9:58:08AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
All this size difference business seems bogus to me. Is Andy bigger than GSP? Yes but JJ is the biggest 205er on the planet. There would be an even greater size disadvantage in the Andy JJ fight and there is over a 40lb difference in JJ v JDS.

Post #8   11/14/12 10:46:45AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

All this size difference business seems bogus to me. Is Andy bigger than GSP? Yes but JJ is the biggest 205er on the planet. There would be an even greater size disadvantage in the Andy JJ fight and there is over a 40lb difference in JJ v JDS.

Great post because I personally dont think the size advantage matters in either of these fights. One man has just as much chance at beating the other in both fights.

Post #9   11/14/12 11:35:00AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

so is forrest griffin but he didn't seem to tower of anderson. I think the biggest difference is anderson is close to JJ in height and reach then GSP is to him. plus JJ has said him self that his future is HW so JJ vs JDS will happen. that 40 lb does not exist is JJ isn't cutting to 205 so it will be much closer than that, plus JJ many finally gain some weight on his legs and add even more weight for the JDS fight. the weight difference doesn't mean much to me as all these guys would weight in for there fight near the same but the size adv will show in height, reach, and muscle mass

Post #10   11/14/12 1:05:54PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Manak

so is forrest griffin but he didn't seem to tower of anderson. I think the biggest difference is anderson is close to JJ in height and reach then GSP is to him. plus JJ has said him self that his future is HW so JJ vs JDS will happen. that 40 lb does not exist is JJ isn't cutting to 205 so it will be much closer than that, plus JJ many finally gain some weight on his legs and add even more weight for the JDS fight. the weight difference doesn't mean much to me as all these guys would weight in for there fight near the same but the size adv will show in height, reach, and muscle mass

Let's get the facts straight here:
JJ wingspan 84.5
Andy wingspan 77.6
GSP wingspan 76

While I'll concede there would be no or little size advantage if JJ were to move to HW it is daft to assume JJ and Andy size up any better than Andy v GSP.

Post #11   11/14/12 2:49:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:
Um....

Why not both?

You just don't want the champ tied up in case you win.

Post #12   11/14/12 3:28:02PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It pisses me off that people are saying Silva is ducking JJ. Silva does not owe anyone anything

Post #13   11/14/12 5:19:07PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

It pisses me off that people are saying Silva is ducking JJ. Silva does not owe anyone anything

He also changed his mind and said he'd take the fight.

If anything, JJ is now ducking Silva.

Post #14   11/14/12 11:41:26PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by airkerma

Even if that is the case he is still correct in his assessment. Silva v Jones is the real superfight here. Silva v GSP is a mismatch due to the size difference.

^this

Silva is not interested in fighting anyone to challenge him....even the guys who he has fought were one trick ponies IMO..

I really thought Bisping beat Chael and I bet real money on Chael in the end I said WTF there went that....Even Bisping told Chael I think I got you....and wasnt Chael supposedly said Yeah I think so too?

Basically then the only decent guy Silva has fought is Henderson....

Post #15   11/15/12 1:36:41AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2