Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New and improved UFC welterweight Jon Fitch says he's caught his second wind

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
After 10 years of plodding away at his MMA career, in hot pursuit of a title, top UFC welterweight Jon Fitch feels like he's never been in a better position to make a run at the 170-pound belt.

Jon Fitch is boring, Jon Fitch doesn't finish fights, Jon Fitch "lays and prays" and will never be an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) title holder.

Whether you've made or believed the aforementioned statements, you're certainly aware of them if you're a fan of mixed martial arts (MMA). After what's been an absolute grind of a career, it felt, for many, as though the perennial UFC welterweight contender was destined to forever be a bridesmaid and never a bride.

However, all that may have turned around, after Fitch's recent unanimous decision win over top prospect Erick Silva at the UFC 153 event in Rio de Janeiro back on Oct. 13, 2012. Sure, he still was unable to procure a finish, but it was the complete antithesis of a Jon Fitch fight.

It was exciting.

He brought the fight from opening horn to the end. And even though it had to go to the judges' scorecards, the win was a dominant one, and it was against a very tough and athletic fighter.

The victory gives Fitch hope for a dynamic contrast in his not so far off future:

"Erick Silva's a very tough fighter, but I believe this is the new Jon Fitch. I kinda got a second wind in my career, and we're gonna see a lot of bigger and better fights for me."

So, what's the difference? Was it just one fluke fight, or are we seeing a new improved version of the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) product?

If you ask him, it's decidedly the latter:

"I think it's partly an accumulation of years of training and finally having the confidence in my full skill set, to really open up and not worry about making mistakes in a fight, knowing that even if I do make a mistake, I'll be able to find my way back on top for the win."

Link

Last edited 11/14/12 11:40AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/14/12 6:22:44AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,493-865
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Everyone said Fitch couldn't finish a fight... But that all changed when he took Silva to a decision.

On the real though, he has had some exiting fights: Penn, GSP, Silva. Even him getting KO'd was pretty cool. I'd watch Fitch headline a card.

Post #2   11/14/12 11:08:25AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,474-841
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fitch catching a second wind is a scary thought for other WWs

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #3   11/14/12 2:55:39PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
Fitch is a good fighter. Hope he makes a run.

Post #4   11/14/12 3:02:55PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fitch finishing fights is a scary prospect to look forward to.

I can't wait

Post #5   11/14/12 3:54:58PM