Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The troubles of dealing with Anderson Silva and other UFC superstars

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After Anderson Silva successfully defended his UFC middleweight title against Chael Sonnen for the second time, UFC President Dana White sat down in front of reporters and tried, as best he could, to explain to us what it was like to work with the world's greatest fighter.

"I swear to God, it's like dealing with an artist," White said. "It's like dealing with an artist or some big, crazy, talented actor. That's what it's like."

The thing is, White wasn't complaining.

Link

Last edited 11/13/12 5:00PM server time by prophecy033
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/13/12 4:59:27PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
INteresting article....Similar to what I said...If you support a fighter like Silva well really his antics and not fighting this and that person....You allow him to dictate what he does...

This situation reminds me of Fedors management...I thoguht he actually woulda liked to test himself but his sorry management denied it to fans...but I dont know Russian so I have no idea what hes ever said..

Thats why all this Silva support, hes the greatest is so untrue IMO...Ali fought the greatest...Even Mayweather and Manny have fought the best but the greatest would be each other....We know where boxing is headed...

I think for MMA to really legitimize itself as honest and integrity you at some point have to put a foot down..A ranking system..Or a format like Bellator...Jeez I read somewhere I think a cool idea would be Champions from each country then unite the belt..I mean if UFC kicked out Silva or any fighter....What would that fighter do? Have to fight elsewhere for less money and audience...

It comes down to me in the end is how good of a negotiator is Dana...

I just dont want to see this like WWE and more like a professional league with a commisioner like football and rules regulations and forced fights....

and one fight the fans could vote on...lol...they could give us a choice of five fights..

Last edited 11/13/12 6:59PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/13/12 6:55:22PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

INteresting article....Similar to what I said...If you support a fighter like Silva well really his antics and not fighting this and that person....You allow him to dictate what he does...

This situation reminds me of Fedors management...I thoguht he actually woulda liked to test himself but his sorry management denied it to fans...but I dont know Russian so I have no idea what hes ever said..

Thats why all this Silva support, hes the greatest is so untrue IMO...Ali fought the greatest...Even Mayweather and Manny have fought the best but the greatest would be each other....We know where boxing is headed...

I think for MMA to really legitimize itself as honest and integrity you at some point have to put a foot down..A ranking system..Or a format like Bellator...Jeez I read somewhere I think a cool idea would be Champions from each country then unite the belt..I mean if UFC kicked out Silva or any fighter....What would that fighter do? Have to fight elsewhere for less money and audience...

It comes down to me in the end is how good of a negotiator is Dana...

I just dont want to see this like WWE and more like a professional league with a commisioner like football and rules regulations and forced fights....

and one fight the fans could vote on...lol...they could give us a choice of five fights..

Not sure if your serious???? Are you saying Silva hasn't fought the best? Who has done what he has to make them better? Or the greatest of all time?

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   11/13/12 7:26:48PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
this is one problem combat sports has always had. there is no set season/format that everyone has become accustomed to from other sports. it is just so unpredictable in fighting that i don't know how you could have a set season.

Post #4   11/13/12 8:07:36PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,612-1,430
Chips:
Ben Fowlkes

Post #5   11/13/12 8:30:03PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,054-613
Chips:
I can honestly say I've never seen a fighter's contract with the UFC, but I suspect the issue could lie with the initial contract and then subsequent additions to the original. You would imagine that in the contract it would say something along the lines that a fighter must fight when approached by the boss, making situations like this irrelevant. However, how many guys sign a 6 fight contract and then are cut after losing 2-3 in a row? It seems like the contracts are much to flexible, when rigidity is necessary, both for the fighters and for the bosses.

Post #6   11/14/12 8:47:08AM