Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Observations from UFC on FUEL 6 you may have missed

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC Macau is in the books and Zuffa's first trip to China ended up as a success. Apart from having that arena feel, commercials may have cut out several minutes of your viewing experience. To make up for that, here are several tidbits from being live at the Cotai Arena that you may have missed out on during the FUEL TV broadcast:

- Macau is a popular tourist spot which is just a few short hours away from several countries in Asia. This was one of the primary reasons the UFC chose this location to start with their Asian expansion, as they knew a lot of people would fly in to see the event while also catering to a very young Chinese market at the same time.

They were right on the money with this one, as a huge percentage of the crowd were indeed from several different nations. This led to the crowd being split during several bouts with huge contingents from countries like the U.S., China, Brazil, and South Korea cheering on their countrymen.

- Like a lot of events in the U.S., the judges in Macau all had monitors they can use cageside...

Full Story

Post #1   11/11/12 8:52:39AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

- Like a lot of events in the U.S., the judges in Macau all had monitors they can use cageside...
- Prior to getting the third round submission, all three judges scoring the Thiago Silva vs. Stanislav Nedkov fight had Silva winning the first two rounds, even if Nedkov scored a big knockdown and controlled most of the fight on the fence. Had the Bulgarian not gassed and got finished, it could've been a very controversial issue right now.

and like a lot of events in the US, the judging is horrible. 30-37, 30-27, 28-29 for Cacares?? Silva 20-18 after 2 rounds??

- TUF veteran, Andy Wang was in Mac Danzig's corner for his fight against Takanori Gomi.

And that is why he looked like crap. I wish this info was out before so I would have gotten 11 points instead of 0

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   11/11/12 11:02:34AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If I knew danzig was gonna trade with gomi and not
Wrestlefuck him I would have easily picked gomi

Did I see Donnie yeun in the audience ??

Post #3   11/11/12 12:54:06PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Chips:

- Prior to getting the third round submission, all three judges scoring the Thiago Silva vs. Stanislav Nedkov fight had Silva winning the first two rounds, even if Nedkov scored a big knockdown and controlled most of the fight on the fence. Had the Bulgarian not gassed and got finished, it could've been a very controversial issue right now.

In my mind, Silva absolutely won the first round. Holding someone against a cage means nothing to me if you are being outstruck in the clinch and at range, which Nedkov definitely was. He got 0 takedowns on several attempts. I would have had it 2-0 for Silva as well, but that knockdown made it 1-1 in my book for Nedkov having the most effective strike in the round+ the control.

Clinching someone and getting outstruck is not winning a fight. Ring generalship is only to be taken into account when a fight is close in all other aspects.

Post #4   11/11/12 12:55:42PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,394-794
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

In my mind, Silva absolutely won the first round. Holding someone against a cage means nothing to me if you are being outstruck in the clinch and at range, which Nedkov definitely was. He got 0 takedowns on several attempts. I would have had it 2-0 for Silva as well, but that knockdown made it 1-1 in my book for Nedkov having the most effective strike in the round+ the control.

Clinching someone and getting outstruck is not winning a fight. Ring generalship is only to be taken into account when a fight is close in all other aspects.

This sums up my thoughts as well.

Post #5   11/11/12 1:23:51PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

clinching someone all round is control, aggressiveness and effective grappling. Holding someone against the cage is almost the same thing as holding someone on the ground...effective grappling. He was preventing Silva from escaping, from landing anything significant, and neutralized any threat he was. I agree with 1-1 on the scorecards, but 2-0 is kind of a joke. The knockdown should have won the round as it was the most significant part of the round, which was close with Nedkov winning the control and grappling and Silva winning the striking.

Last edited 11/11/12 4:37PM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #6   11/11/12 4:35:57PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,873-1,070
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by pmoney

clinching someone all round is control, aggressiveness and effective grappling. Holding someone against the cage is almost the same thing as holding someone on the ground...effective grappling. He was preventing Silva from escaping, from landing anything significant, and neutralized any threat he was. I agree with 1-1 on the scorecards, but 2-0 is kind of a joke. The knockdown should have won the round as it was the most significant part of the round, which was close with Nedkov winning the control and grappling and Silva winning the striking.

The way the rules read, octagon control and aggressiveness can't overcome an advantage in striking or grappling. Also, according to the rules, pushing someone against the fence doesn't qualify as grappling. If a majority of the action is done standing up, then striking is the key rating, with aggressiveness and octagon control only used as a tie breaker for even striking.

Post #7   11/11/12 5:27:31PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,400-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Until he got caught I had Silva winning round 2 because he landed strikes no matter where the fight took place where as Nedkov did next to nothing. Silva was clearly in no danger on the fence and landing more strikes. Effective grappling isn't hanging on to the guy so you don't get hit in the face. If Thiago came out and rushed across the cage and held Nedkov against the fence while eating knees and dirty boxing for four minutes we would be calling Thiago a washed up bum who needed to be cut, Instead Nedkov fails over and over again and tries nothing else and lands a solid punch. To say Thiago won some great comeback like they were implying was a joke, he was clearly in control of that fight from start to finish, in fact I kept wondering when Thiago was going to submit Nedkov because he looked so amateur.

Last edited 11/11/12 5:28PM server time by sbulldavid

Post #8   11/11/12 5:27:45PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Until he got caught I had Silva winning round 2 because he landed strikes no matter where the fight took place where as Nedkov did next to nothing. Silva was clearly in no danger on the fence and landing more strikes. Effective grappling isn't hanging on to the guy so you don't get hit in the face. If Thiago came out and rushed across the cage and held Nedkov against the fence while eating knees and dirty boxing for four minutes we would be calling Thiago a washed up bum who needed to be cut, Instead Nedkov fails over and over again and tries nothing else and lands a solid punch. To say Thiago won some great comeback like they were implying was a joke, he was clearly in control of that fight from start to finish, in fact I kept wondering when Thiago was going to submit Nedkov because he looked so amateur.

Sorry bubbs, I was a fan of Nedkov and thought he had a chance until the fight started, then he was outclassed, and I don't feel he should have won any points 'controlling' Silva against the cage, he was fighting to survive, Thiago was fighting to win.

Last edited 11/11/12 6:55PM server time by infestructure

Post #9   11/11/12 6:54:42PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,400-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Nedkov will learn from this fight and improve, he does have potential but he's still raw as a fighter.

Post #10   11/11/12 7:44:54PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Chips:
Holding someone does not classify as effective grappling. Only control. With him getting outstruck in the clinch 10-1 you cant really give him aggression either for the clinchwork.

Post #11   11/11/12 8:26:56PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Holding someone does not classify as effective grappling. Only control. With him getting outstruck in the clinch 10-1 you cant really give him aggression either for the clinchwork.

In fact, when he was attempting takedowns against the fence, it would actually do the opposite of award control. Thiago would be awarded control for defending the takedown and keeping the fight standing.

Post #12   11/11/12 10:10:04PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Pookie

In fact, when he was attempting takedowns against the fence, it would actually do the opposite of award control. Thiago would be awarded control for defending the takedown and keeping the fight standing.

you guys are right. Looking back, I'm not sure why I was arguing But I still stand by it being 1-1 after 2 rounds

Post #13   11/12/12 4:08:00PM