Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shannon Lee thrilled father Bruce Lee's legacy continues to be honored by MMA

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
At Saturday night's UFC on FUEL 6, which marks the fight promotion's debut in China, the company took the unprecedented step of featuring Lee's image on the fight poster, emphasizing his role as a forebear of current-day fighters with the quote, "Bruce Lee is the father of mixed martial arts."

It was done with the permission of his estate, which is run by his daughter Shannon Lee through the Bruce Lee Foundation.

"I always make the distinction between Jeet Kune Do and MMA," Shannon Lee said on Wednesday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I don't see Jeet Kune Do as being the same thing as MMA, but I think when you start talking about my father's philosophical notion that in order to be a well-rounded fighter, you have to be able to defend an attack in any situation you find yourself, he was very much about needing to have a very precise and well-rounded arsenal when it came to real fighting. Of course, UFC is a sport, it's not street fighting but it's about as close as you can get in a controlled environment to a no-holds-barred fight, and I think my dad’s philosophies about needing to be a well-rounded fighter have been proven out in the sport."

LINK

Post #1   11/7/12 4:44:57PM