Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Seven Different Opponents Turned Down Fight Against Tyrone Spong

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If there was one major question surrounding Tyrone Spong's impressive debut on Saturday night after knocking out 37-year old Travis Bartlett, it was why was Tyrone Spong actually fighting Travis Bartlett in the first place?

LINK

Post #1   11/5/12 2:16:42PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

If there was one major question surrounding Tyrone Spong's impressive debut on Saturday night after knocking out 37-year old Travis Bartlett, it was why was Tyrone Spong actually fighting Travis Bartlett in the first place?

LINK

Well let him fight Anthony Johnson in his second fight...

Let me guess they train together so they wont face each other...

Post #2   11/5/12 3:18:07PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm surprised it wasn't more than 7. It's going to take some sick wrestling to stop that dude.

Post #3   11/5/12 3:22:34PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
He looks intimidating as hell. However his opponent was no world class striker himself. A couple of more fights and ill see where my opinion is at on him

Post #4   11/5/12 3:27:39PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

I'm surprised it wasn't more than 7. It's going to take some sick wrestling to stop that dude.

We havent seen any grappling from him yet, but I can only hope they teach him some uber sprawling.

Post #5   11/5/12 4:02:31PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
The guy that faced Spong though I would take jon jones with his hands tied behind his back...

They gotta get those fights on an even keel....it was a serious miss match set up there and thats the problem in most organizations beside Bellator IMO..

Post #6   11/5/12 4:07:12PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

The guy that faced Spong though I would take jon jones with his hands tied behind his back...

They gotta get those fights on an even keel....it was a serious miss match set up there and thats the problem in most organizations beside Bellator IMO..

Really? Hector Lombard was given a squash match at least once a year in Bellator.

I'd like to see Spong given a bigger challenge but who in their right mind would fight someone who has no-name recognition but has knocked down Overeem?

Post #7   11/5/12 4:22:23PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by kingsmasher

Really? Hector Lombard was given a squash match at least once a year in Bellator.

Yeah we have some expert can crushers in all orgs. Bisping was notorious for fighting cans in half his fights. Leben, Day, and Rivera might not be cans exactly but they are significantly below his level.

Post #8   11/5/12 5:25:10PM   

JackHammerXXX

MMA Regular

JackHammerXXX Avatar

Career:1,953-1,250
Chips:
I think you ask yourself, do you bring him along before you start putting him up against proven fighters, or do you jump right into big matchups with just a 1-0 record a la Brock Lesnar?

I think his striking is top shelf shit, but in what was a fight against a moving punching bag for the most part, sure he looked ready for a big name. Im more inclined on giving him a wrestler or at least somebody that will engage a grappling sequence or two? Geez I mean anybody would try to close the distance or try clinch/takedown?!

That Knockout was still devastating and I can't wait to see this guy fight again. Great camp and I'm interested to see how well Rashad performs against Lil Nog, knowing who he's sparring with these days

Post #9   11/5/12 5:58:21PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:
Cant wait to see if Spong evolves into UFC material

Post #10   11/5/12 6:12:47PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush
Yeah we have some expert can crushers in all orgs. Bisping was notorious for fighting cans in half his fights. Leben, Day, and Rivera might not be cans exactly but they are significantly below his level.

yet beating Leben was good enough for Anderson to fight for the title

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   11/5/12 6:31:55PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,954-1,208
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
They asked me too, but I turned it down because I don't know how to fight

Post #12   11/5/12 6:35:46PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ghandikush

To be fair that's when Leben was one fight away from a title shot himself. He was on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc.

Last edited 11/5/12 6:59PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   11/5/12 6:55:36PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ghandikush

To be fair that's when Leben was one fight away from a title shot himself. He was on a 5 fight win streak in the ufc.

Sherdog exists, try using it.

P.S. By the way once upon a time Herring was a very solid win too.

Last edited 11/5/12 8:08PM server time by ghandikush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   11/5/12 8:07:45PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by JackHammerXXX

I think you ask yourself, do you bring him along before you start putting him up against proven fighters, or do you jump right into big matchups with just a 1-0 record a la Brock Lesnar?

I think his striking is top shelf shit, but in what was a fight against a moving punching bag for the most part, sure he looked ready for a big name. Im more inclined on giving him a wrestler or at least somebody that will engage a grappling sequence or two? Geez I mean anybody would try to close the distance or try clinch/takedown?!

That Knockout was still devastating and I can't wait to see this guy fight again. Great camp and I'm interested to see how well Rashad performs against Lil Nog, knowing who he's sparring with these days

Well IMO what is WSOF trying to do? I get it now.....Bunch of KOs to make it look exciting and sell it to someone else like its reputable....Makes sense really...But as a fan that wants to see the best of the best fight each other it just wont keep my interest...

Truthfully if the UFC starts making circus fights "chael and Jones" their prerogative will be to grow it as entertainment and not a sport, I will lose interest their too...

It just seems to me Dana is becoming what he cant stand about boxing....

Promoters just trying to make the most money not making the sport abide by a code of ethics....its why we will never see Floyd and Pacman until theyre both over the hill then they will try to sell it as an epic battle when out of their prime...

Post #15   11/5/12 10:00:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2