Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Inaugural World Series of Fighting card deemed a success

Print  
Was WSOF 1 a Success
All around success 14 58%
Lopsided fights killed it 3 13%
Mediocre at best 3 13%
All around failure 0 0%
-------------------------- 4 17%
Posted By Message

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Across the board, there was nothing but high praise for the first World Series of Fighting card.

Fighters were impressed and felt taken care of. Trainers got the same vibe.

The WSOF brought it all — sparkling production values, big names, good fights and a few highlight reels.

For all accounts, it was a smashing success.

"I couldn't ask for a better start," WSOF President Ray Sefo said. "I'm so happy and proud with the turnout. Like I said, there are a lot of great emotions. This is our first event, and, of course, we're going to get better and better and better."

Whether fans give the WSOF the same approval will be decided on future cards, but if Saturday's card is any indication, the more than 5,000 fans who showed up at the PH Live venue at Planet Hollywood have something to look forward to.

Anthony Johnson, who scored a knockout victory against D.J. Linderman in the card's co-main event, praised the company, adding they got close to everything right on the first try.

"I didn't think it would be like this," Johnson said. "Usually, people have a promotion and don't do it right at first. (The WSOF is) on the ball and doing exactly what they should be doing."

Johnson, a former UFC fighter, provided the night's biggest highlight.

After Johnson was poked in the eye, referee Herb Dean didn't give Johnson a chance to recover. Linderman rushed in and got caught by a Johnson straight right hand. Linderman fell face-first onto the canvas as Johnson threw down his mouthpiece in celebration at the 3:58 mark of the first round.

"He got careless and rushed me and left himself open," said Johnson, who has a bad history of getting poked in the eye. "Every time I get hit in the eye, it stuns me, but I work through it."

Full Article

Post #1   11/4/12 2:57:18PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:
I'm really excited for an NBC backed organization run by Sefo, he seems like a really good guy and WSOF seems like THE organization to really stick around and co promote K-1, world MMA, and to be a generally positive influence.

I am excite

Post #2   11/4/12 2:59:44PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
This was straight up better than a third of the UFC events this year. Good on Sefo for putting together a strong card and the fighters for delivering!

Post #3   11/4/12 5:00:22PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I thought the card was "okay". It wasn't a stellar package but it didn't stink either. I think whoever they have choosing who fights when needs their head examined. The Burkman/Harris fight should have definitely been on the main card. The main card fights were fairly lopsided and while I like Bas Rutten as a person....he is a terribly awkward and downright weird commentator. I don't think the show was a failure but I don't think it was too successful either. There is a lot they need to work on.

Last edited 11/4/12 5:24PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/4/12 5:23:48PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I thought the card was "okay". It wasn't a stellar package but it didn't stink either. I think whoever they have choosing who fights when needs their head examined. The Burkman/Harris fight should have definitely been on the main card. The main card fights were fairly lopsided and while I like Bas Rutten as a person....he is a terribly awkward and downright weird commentator. I don't think the show was a failure but I don't think it was too successful either. There is a lot they need to work on.

Burkman Harris didnt have nearly the drawing power and also was a grappling decision waiting to happen, but was a much better matchup to people who know what theyre watching for sure. Better than AJ and "the guy AJ knocked out"

Post #5   11/4/12 5:33:05PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
They need to come out strong with a quick turn around, and add depth with all the retreads. As a free fight org they might have a chance on NBC.

Post #6   11/4/12 8:00:51PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
That card was awesome. I could watch Spong kill cans all day. It's funny a former welter weight knocked out a former super heavy weight too and the KO itself was super funny.

Can I call Rumble a former welter weight? Has he actually ever made it to 170?

Post #7   11/5/12 2:45:56PM