Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Schiavello: Jones/Sonnen "Cheapens the title"

Print  
Does Jones/Sonnen Cheapen the Title?
Yes 21 58%
No 15 42%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:822-526
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This week on The MMA Podcast we welcomed Michael Schiavello, and he chatted with us for a good 45 minutes talking about his career in kickboxing & MMA, the future of K-1, and current topics in MMA like TRT and Sonnen/Jones. You won’t want to miss what he has to think about the Sonnen/Jones matchup and he does not mince words.

“[The Ultimate Fighter] has become very old. The formula has become very old. The contestants that have been going into the house have become the same old repartee of what they say, and what they do, and how they act. A lot of respect is gone from it in how they act. A lot of the martial arts is gone from it. They are just fighters that are coming in, not martial artists who are coming in … There’s just too much of it. It’s something the UFC has done quite often is they overload, they overkill on events, on shows.”

“Now you’ve got Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones and they’re eventually going to fight for the light heavyweight title? That’s ridiculous. Chael Sonnen, how did he do with that title shot? Oh, he’s going to deserve a title shot because he appears on a reality TV show? What does that say for the sport? It’s no longer about rankings, it’s about ratings. There’s guys like Dan Henderson, guys like Lyoto Machida, Glover Teixeira that should be next in line to get that light heavyweight shot but you have to go through a reality TV show now to get a crack at the UFC championship? In what other sport does this happen? What other sport?”

“The UFC says they want to be the biggest sport in the world, they say they want to be bigger than soccer, they say they want to be as big as the NFL, they want to be bigger than boxing, so be it. But you’re hatching championship fights out of a reality TV show? I don’t know if boxing ever does that. I can’t remember when boxing’s done that. I can’t remember when football’s ever done that, tennis has ever done that. What other sport has done that where a championship fight is being decided by participance in a reality TV show? It’s ridiculous.”

“Chael Sonnen comes up a lot from middleweight, goes on a reality TV show, and then gets a crack at the light heavyweight world championship? How does that compute? The only way it computes is because it’s for the ratings. Because the ratings are doing so poorly at the moment. To me it cheapens the title a lot because a guy like Dan Henderson deserves that crack, a guy like Lyoto Machida deserves another crack at it, a guy like Teixeira in maybe another two fights deserves a crack at it. Not a dude that just lost, not just lost, got his ass handed to him - handed to him – at middleweight by Anderson Silva. Completely handed to him. And now his next fight’s going to be for the light heavyweight world championship in a division he hasn’t fought in to take on the champion because he’s on a reality show? Makes no sense. Only makes sense in the world of ratings. That’s it.”

Check out the 45 minute clip of our interview with Michael on YouTube now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbvmT5fHBo8

Post #1   11/2/12 7:27:46PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:665-362
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
he does make some good points...although im still strangely looking forward to jones vs sonnen..in no way does chael even remotely deserve a title shot. Interesting to see where chael ends up after he loses to jones.

Post #2   11/2/12 7:38:15PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

he does make some good points...although im still strangely looking forward to jones vs sonnen..in no way does chael even remotely deserve a title shot. Interesting to see where chael ends up after he loses to jones.

The way I feel about the build-up for the fight:

The way I feel about the fight itself:

Post #3   11/2/12 7:41:34PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,384-1,280
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't know why people are pissed.

I mean when randy fought tim slyvia
His last fight was a light heavy weight title loss to lidell
He retired came back with a instant title shot against tim
He didn't deserve it. But good for business

Jones vs sonnen same
Sonnen moving up a weight class. Coming off a title loss
Tuf needs a boost or else they may die.

Jones and sonnen coaches
Mid day slot again
The rating should be huge for this.
I am looking forward to this

Post #4   11/2/12 8:26:17PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:730-442
Chips:
I think in the past, we expected some shitty matchups due to lack of depth in weight classes.
Now MMA has risen so far, we expect to see the best fighting the best, not the biggest mouth

Post #5   11/2/12 9:24:26PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

I don't know why people are pissed.

I mean when randy fought tim slyvia
His last fight was a light heavy weight title loss to lidell
He retired came back with a instant title shot against tim
He didn't deserve it. But good for business

Jones vs sonnen same
Sonnen moving up a weight class. Coming off a title loss
Tuf needs a boost or else they may die.

Jones and sonnen coaches
Mid day slot again
The rating should be huge for this.
I am looking forward to this

when Randy fought Tim there was not any other HW worthy of a title shot and only like 3 in the division totally....Big difference to whats happening with Chael...

Post #6   11/2/12 9:32:26PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Schiavello Cheapens Jones/Sonnen fight

Post #7   11/2/12 9:32:48PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
What ever happened to fight fans

Post #8   11/2/12 9:34:33PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dana's in the empire business.

Post #9   11/2/12 11:12:29PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

What ever happened to fight fans

Theyre busy wondering how Shogun Lyoto and Hendo are all being given the next title shot when Sonnen is getting the next title shot

Anyway I cant imagine how Gustaffson, mr wonderful and Evans feel at this point.

It almost litterally makes me sick, and would make me sick if it wasnt one of my most hated fighters too. Promise.

Post #10   11/2/12 11:22:00PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Shut your pie-hole 'The Voice' you sound like the combination of Kangaroo Jack making sweet love to 'The Bushwackers'

Go back to interviewing Hulk Hogan and Steevan Seegal

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #11   11/2/12 11:52:33PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

How do bogus title fights help that empire? I'm super excited to see them jaw back and forth, but I wouldn't put Chael on a list of the top 10 people who deserve a title shot at 205 lbs right now. Ridiculous.

Post #12   11/3/12 3:35:35AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by jakewalters

How do bogus title fights help that empire? I'm super excited to see them jaw back and forth, but I wouldn't put Chael on a list of the top 10 people who deserve a title shot at 205 lbs right now. Ridiculous.

I would think poster means money fights as far as empire goes vs real rankings based fights.

Post #13   11/3/12 4:53:44AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by jakewalters

I would think poster means money fights as far as empire goes vs real rankings based fights.

True. The only thing that makes sense in making Jones/Sonnen is boosting ratings, like Schiavello said. Long-term making this sport mainstream... this hurts you a lot.

Post #14   11/3/12 5:28:41AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Thing is IMO I dont see Jon Jones mouthing off on TUF against Chael I expect Jones to just walk the other way and maybe bore us.....and that means not feeding into the hype machine that Dana wants...

Or Dana tells Jones pre-taping that its all for hype and please feed into it for ratings and TV....He pays Jones extra to be an actor....

Post #15   11/3/12 10:52:03AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3