Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kyle Kingsbury contemplates retiring from MMA after recent string of losses

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Stephan Bonnar may not be the only mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter to cash-in on his 401K soon.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight monster Kyle Kingsbury recently hinted that he, too, might be leaning toward retiring from the sport after suffering three consecutive losses inside the Octagon.

Appearing on "The MMA Hour" "Kingsbu" revealed his latest setback, which came at the ferocious hands, feet and elbows of Jimi Manuwa one month ago at UFC on Fuel TV 5: "Struve vs. Miocic," which lead to a six-month medical suspension because of multiple face fractures, has forced him to do some "soul searching" and evaluate whether or not he wants to continue fighting.

His words:

"I have no idea. They asked me for a quote right after the fight and I just said you know, I got some soul searching to do. I got to see where I'm at mentally, emotionally, and spiritually and really digest the whole situation. Digest the career, digest everything that's going on in my life and see if this is something I want to continue to do. Thankfully I got a six month suspension to figure it out, so it's not anything I have to decide right off the bat. But, it is something where you look at your career and, a lot of fans will look at me and say, 'That guy never had a shot at winning a title.' And, maybe they're right, but, nobody gets into this sport thinking, 'I'm going to be a millionaire by being a fighter.' People get into this sport thinking, 'I want to beat someone's ass and I want to try to get the title.' Getting to the UFC level and now being 4-4 as a UFC fighter, it was never my goal to come in and be a .500 fighter. It was never my goal to come in and win one, lose one, win three, lose three, that kind of deal. So, whatever I end up choosing, if I do end up wanting to fight again, I know there is going to be a period of time where I will work at trying to improve before I come back to the table to fight again. You look at a guy like Dan Hardy who took time after his losses and came back and he's well again. So, whatever the decision is, there is going to be sometime between now and the next one."

LINK

Post #1   11/2/12 5:32:55AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Kingsbu is a tough guy that has plenty of fights left in him, but having lost a few in a row is messing with his confidence hopefully he figures it all out and we see him back in teh octagon sooner rather than later

Post #2   11/2/12 10:18:50AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Kingsbu is a tough guy that has plenty of fights left in him, but having lost a few in a row is messing with his confidence hopefully he figures it all out and we see him back in teh octagon sooner rather than later

I agree with this. I think he's got some fights left in him. He sure can take a beating. Would love to see him stick around and get his head right.

Post #3   11/2/12 10:29:03AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,840-896
Chips:
At one point Kingsbury looked like he might be a top 10 fighter. However, I think it turned out that he was just too big for most low-mid level fighters. His actual skill level does not match his bulk advantage.

Post #4   11/2/12 10:36:48AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

At one point Kingsbury looked like he might be a top 10 fighter.

I wouldn't say that but Kingsbu did look pretty good for a while there before his fight with Maldonado.

Post #5   11/2/12 1:49:31PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Chips:
Best thing for him would be to ask for his release from the UFC, go fight on some smaller circuits for about a year. Evaluate his career after that, see where he stands.

Post #6   11/2/12 4:28:44PM