Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who are you voting for? And let's use this thread to discuss Hurricane Sandy.

Print  
Presidential Poll
Obama 21 46%
Romney 6 13%
Other 4 9%
I'm not voting 15 33%
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,991-1,725
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
I don't care to vote for President. If anyone needs an explanation as to why I don't vote, please watch South Park

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #16   10/29/12 1:50:48PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,086-1,363
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Could affect up to 60Million people
60Mil is pretty damn big if you ask me... I'm thinking you haven't really looked into how big it's going to be. Do you have any idea what 8-12 FEET of increased tides can do to the east coast? From the house we have out there, that would imply that I could stand up inside the house and have the water up to my eyes. This also applies to NYC, so despite thinking the NY gets more coverage than Houston, it is because that much of a tidal increase can put a good portion of that city under water, and if the winds are blowing right, it will be worse. I'm not even including the weather projections for areas hundreds of miles away that are supposed to get nasty wind, rain, snow, and possible power outages.

what you just described is basically what happens to any coastal city hit by a hurricane. Do I even need to bring up Katrina? Or even what happened to Galveston with Ike?

Post #17   10/29/12 1:51:30PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

60Mil is pretty damn big if you ask me... I'm thinking you haven't really looked into how big it's going to be. Do you have any idea what 8-12 FEET of increased tides can do to the east coast? From the house we have out there, that would imply that I could stand up inside the house and have the water up to my eyes. This also applies to NYC, so despite thinking the NY gets more coverage than Houston, it is because that much of a tidal increase can put a good portion of that city under water, and if the winds are blowing right, it will be worse. I'm not even including the weather projections for areas hundreds of miles away that are supposed to get nasty wind, rain, snow, and possible power outages.

Its going to really ruin the worlds pumpkin crops

Post #18   10/29/12 1:54:38PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:424-342
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I concur. When Katrina was brewing, people did not anticipate the worst and the worst happened. Experts like my geology professor knew and we talked about it the week before. He described the potential disasters if the levees were to break and sure enough - they did.

To the doubtful posters, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Post #19   10/29/12 2:03:38PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Is there a way I can take back the props I've given to ghandikush?

Post #20   10/29/12 2:05:58PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I am voting and I did the poll, but I will leave it at that.

As for the storm, I hope that who ever is effected by it stays safe. Sounds like it could be epically terrible. I hope its not as bad as they say. So who ever is on the east coast, good luck.

Post #21   10/29/12 2:31:01PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:3,921-2,097
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am an Hour north of NYC and it was just light rain and wind. I went through many hurricanes living in Florida, especially 2004. People freak out up with this Hurricane and Irene last year around here.

Post #22   10/29/12 3:39:51PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,944-1,713
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's 4:20pm in southeastern PA. My in-laws have come to stay with us as they were told to evacuate Long Beach Island NJ. The storm is expected to hit the NJ coast 20-30 miles from their house (last I heard). We're getting really strong winds, and the lights have flickered twice now. Expecting the worst tonight and am doubtful the power will stay on overnight. A dead tree is down nearby but I just had a lot of trimming/deadwooding/cabling done on the trees near my house, so I should be ok. The biggest thing for me will be if the power goes out, will the basement flood? I failed to get a generator after Irene and I'm kicking myself now. Shoulda just bit the bullet and spent the money. First world problems, I know.

Post #23   10/29/12 4:24:00PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:1,465-862
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Post #24   10/29/12 4:43:04PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Take a goddamn joke, hurrcanes is bad mmkay

Post #25   10/29/12 4:48:09PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scoozna

It's 4:20pm in southeastern PA. My in-laws have come to stay with us as they were told to evacuate Long Beach Island NJ. The storm is expected to hit the NJ coast 20-30 miles from their house (last I heard). We're getting really strong winds, and the lights have flickered twice now. Expecting the worst tonight and am doubtful the power will stay on overnight. A dead tree is down nearby but I just had a lot of trimming/deadwooding/cabling done on the trees near my house, so I should be ok. The biggest thing for me will be if the power goes out, will the basement flood? I failed to get a generator after Irene and I'm kicking myself now. Shoulda just bit the bullet and spent the money. First world problems, I know.

Candles will work just fine. Stay safe, Scoozna.

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Football, MLB, NBA, NHL Leagues for cash | FanDuel

Post #26   10/29/12 5:21:28PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

I got your joke but it was bad taste and bad timing. Lives are at stake here.

Post #27   10/29/12 5:26:33PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

I got your joke but it was bad taste and bad timing. Lives are at stake here.

I dont get the big deal, a bunch of people arent evacuating and are without electricity, its their own fault I assume? Is there something special about this one? I HIGHLY doubt any cities not under sea level are getting submerged anytime soon.

Post #28   10/29/12 5:34:54PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,311-835
Chips:
I hope everyone along the east coast and their families stay safe for the duration of Sandy. Always take the necessary precautions, even if you don't find them necessary. Aside from the last 2 years, I lived my entire life in the New Orleans area and know a thing or two about these storms and everything that comes with it including being without power for weeks and the cleanup after it. Again, hope everyone stays safe.

Post #29   10/29/12 5:52:24PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:3,921-2,097
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by airkerma

Post #30   10/29/12 7:02:09PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5