Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Quinton “Rampage” Jackson Says Joe Silva’s Matchmaking Is Why He’s Leaving the UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I have been saying this for years but I think Joe Silva is a terrible matchmaker contrary to what people have been led to believe.

I agree with Rampage in the fact that Phil Davis should not be going down several levels to face Griffin. It makes no sense...but what does one expect when Joe Silva is making these matches??? Half of the match ups he comes up with make no sense.

Post #16   10/25/12 9:26:23PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Im interested in a second 5 rounder between those two. I would prefer to have Rampage vs Glover so he can get that swingfest he's been wanting and can get knocked out.

Post #17   10/25/12 10:33:53PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
I blame Thiago Silva for this. Had he not used horse piss and failed the test, we would have seen Silva vs Rampage and a much happier Rampage afterwards...instead he got Hamill (only shot for sloppy TDs) and Bader (TD and ground control) with a beatdown from Jones in between.

I'm not faulting any of his opponents for their strategies, but obviously Rampage isn't very fond of it. I still want to see him fight Thiago though

Last edited 10/26/12 12:12AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #18   10/26/12 12:06:35AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Id prefer a tournament format...Why not for each title...No more this hand picking opponents who help your style...

The Strikeforce HW GP went so well, of course we should do many more.

At this point in their careers Rampage vs Griffin would be an undercard fight, at least with Glover he'll get some people watching his fight.

Post #19   10/26/12 12:33:27AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by kingsmasher

Id prefer a tournament format...Why not for each title...No more this hand picking opponents who help your style...

At this point in their careers Rampage vs Griffin would be an undercard fight, at least with Glover he'll get some people watching his fight.

Too true .

I'd give him a fair chance of beating Glover too.

Post #20   10/26/12 8:52:09AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by kingsmasher

Right, and Bellator's tournament style just sucks so much ass too, so all ideas of tourney's should just be abandoned

Post #21   10/26/12 9:48:29AM   

Biggavelli

Standup Guy

Career:115-100
Chips:
I'm a Rampage fan but I think he has been bitching to much recently.

I do think Joe Silva makes some iffy matchups, first to come to mind Griffin vs. Davis.

What is that all about? They should of just set up Rampage vs. Griffin 2. That would of been a much more competitive fight

Post #22   10/26/12 9:55:12AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,441-827
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

Posted by BillsNewAccount

BUT there has been A LOT of squash matches lately:
Silva v Bonnar
JJ v Chael
JJ v Vitor
And they just announced lil nog v Rashad Evans

Silva vs. Bonnar and JJ vs Vitor were last second matches to save a card. They were not deserving challengers but it was the best they could do under those circumstances and I'm glad that the cards went on. I'm not going to criticize them for that.

I don't think Little Nog vs Evans is a squash. Why would it be? You have a top 5 LHW coming off of a loss going against a top 10 LHW coming off of a win. Their age, experience and size isn't that different. I'll favor Evans, but doesn't seem like an unreasonable fight at all.

JJ vs. Chael--should be criticized but the reasons for making the match are obvious: they need to do something with TUF and something with Jones while he is rehabbing and this was a way of helping to generate interest with the show while keeping their rising star in the limelight. One part of me wants to slam them for this but I also want their product to be successful and I understand why they are doing this....but I won't fault anyone for criticizing this match.

Maybe I'm just jaded from watching boxing. I just watched Eric Morales fight for a title at 140 last weekend and I'm going to watch Wladamir Klitshko defend his title against Mariusz Wach (who?) in his next fight. Even Chael Sonnen looks like pretty good contender by comparison..

lil Nog has lost 2 of his 3 last fights to young quick wrestlers and neither of them were as talented as Rashad. There are plenty of guys lil Nog can take at 205 but Rashad isn't one. Joe Silva knows this and just wants to pad Rashad's record with another W over a well known name.

Post #23   10/26/12 12:32:08PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Chips:

Posted by airkerma
Right, and Bellator's tournament style just sucks so much ass too, so all ideas of tourney's should just be abandoned

The highest ratings Bellator has ever gotten for an event is less than half of what the worst TUF episode has attained.

Tournament formats in MMA are a gimmick, and not a model the UFC needs to follow.

Post #24   10/26/12 12:51:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Let's sum up the last 50 news articles concerning Rampage.....

Post #25   10/26/12 1:31:20PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by airkerma

The highest ratings Bellator has ever gotten for an event is less than half of what the worst TUF episode has attained.

Tournament formats in MMA are a gimmick, and not a model the UFC needs to follow.

I think that's leaving out quite a few confounding variables, as far as Bellator's ratings go:
1. Lack of marketing
2. Lack of available viewers
3. Poor timing
4. Smaller names for fighters
5. Poor television channel

These things are all reasons why Bellator doesn't do as well as let's say, a TUF episode, not to mention a TUF episode contains a large amount of drama so comparing the two is not exactly accurate. The numbers say more about Bellator than about the tournament style. Considering most major sports have playoffs, which are essentially elimination tournaments, it is safe to say that the sports world relies on tournaments.

If you want me to expand on any of this, I am very open for a discussion, but to say a tournament won't work 'just 'cause' is hardly a reason to shy away from the idea. Besides, isn't that basically what they just did with the flyweights?

Post #26   10/26/12 2:01:22PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2