Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sean Sherk discusses his health, UFC return, Ben Henderson vs. Nate Diaz, and much more

Print  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,733-1,430
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's been over two years since former UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk has stepped inside the Octagon, but "The Muscle Shark" hasn't gone anywhere. Sherk's battled a series of nagging injuries during that time, but he's continued training, hosted seminars, and has gotten himself into the equipment business with his Elevation Training Mask (available at TrainingMask.com).

All the while, he's continued planning his return to action, and isn't near ready to walk away from a sport he's been involved with for the last 13 years. I caught up with Sherk last weekend in Maplewood, Minn., where he was a guest for an event from local Minnesota promotion Cage Fighting Xtreme, and he discussed a number of topics, including his health, returning to action, the UFC's lightweight division, the upcoming Championship bout between Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz, and more. Here's what Sherk had to say:

LINK

Post #1   10/25/12 10:54:38AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
feed Florian to him around March-April next year

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #2   10/25/12 11:51:06AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He is a classic example of too many fights wearing on an old battered body. He can't stay healthy from his super aggressive training. He was always just one step below the best when he was in his prime.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   10/25/12 11:56:34AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
good read. i have always liked sherk. i think if he is having that many physical probs he shouldnt make his return anytime soon. it sounds like he has everything undercontrol.

i have used his Trainingmask, it makes cardio sessions really painful. i didn't know he was behind that, good for him. ive never heard him commentate but i wouldn't mind having him as a guest commentator for an undercard or something like that

Post #4   10/25/12 12:43:23PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Sherk I am not a fan.....He seems to think hes a striker.....I remmeber the fight with Edgar he wanted to stand, trade and box....Basically never attempted a takedown period....
poor game plan...

I believe his arms a way too short...Basically hes just a Urijah Faber type guy but really not quite as athletic...

IF anything if he can het to a lighter weight it might be cool but in LW I dont see him mattering...I thgouht he lost to Evan Dunham...but the cut on Evans head was too much for the judges to overlook...

Post #5   10/25/12 1:06:51PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,252-1,525
Chips:
I am shocked that he says he doesn't watch MMA outside of the few live events he goes to. I don't think that is a good idea, especially considering the game already evolved past him when he was still fighting. Maybe that is why the sport evolved beyond him in the first place.

Post #6   10/25/12 2:00:18PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I am shocked that he says he doesn't watch MMA outside of the few live events he goes to. I don't think that is a good idea, especially considering the game already evolved past him when he was still fighting. Maybe that is why the sport evolved beyond him in the first place.

You might be surprised by the amount of fighters that don't watch fights regularly. I've talked to a few that are by far more interested in being competitors than fans. Clearly the majority of fighters are fans to a certain degree and they watch friends/teammates/coaches when they fight, but Sherk is not the first guy I've heard that from, so it doesn't surprise me at all at this point.

Post #7   10/25/12 2:18:02PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Sir_Karl

You might be surprised by the amount of fighters that don't watch fights regularly. I've talked to a few that are by far more interested in being competitors than fans. Clearly the majority of fighters are fans to a certain degree and they watch friends/teammates/coaches when they fight, but Sherk is not the first guy I've heard that from, so it doesn't surprise me at all at this point.

id say in most sports pro dont really watch their sport that much outside seeing family/friends play. The majority of watching their sport comes from studying film for that upcoming opponent. makes sense though, you have to be able to turn off at some point so you do not burn out

Post #8   10/25/12 2:55:15PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
WAR MUSCLE SHERK! Four losses on his record: Hughes/GSP/Penn/Edgar

I'll watch and root him on as long as he want's to lace the gloves up!

Post #9   10/25/12 3:15:41PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Chips:
He's 39 and hasn't fought in over two years. I'd be surprised if he came back successfully, if at all.

I've always liked Sherk but I don't see him beating the top guys anymore. I'll still get excited for his return though.

Post #10   10/25/12 3:53:41PM   

Biggavelli

Standup Guy

Career:115-100
Chips:
I would like to see him come back, I never used to be a huge fan of his but over the years I've grown to like him.

Post #11   10/26/12 8:51:46AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
WHO THE HELL IS SHEAN SHIRK?????

Last edited 10/28/12 12:40AM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #12   10/26/12 7:29:55PM   

Biggavelli

Standup Guy

Career:115-100
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

WHO THE HELL IS SHEAN SHIRK?????

Post #13   10/26/12 7:44:43PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

WAR MUSCLE SHERK! Four losses on his record: Hughes/GSP/Penn/Edgar

I'll watch and root him on as long as he want's to lace the gloves up!

Should be 5 losses with Dunham added to the list.

Post #14   10/26/12 7:46:54PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,064-693
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by Todd_keuneke

SHEAN SHIRK OWES ME MONEY FOR A SEMINAR I DID WITH HIM AND HE NEVER PAID

no one owes a real bad ass money.

if you was a bad ass you would have.... eh nevermind... if you was as hard as you claim i wouldn't have to explain it to you

Post #15   10/27/12 1:27:50PM