Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bellator Making Hard Push to Keep Eddie Alvarez

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
According to Alvarez’s manager, Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management, Bellator is pushing hard to keep their former champion right where he is as they make their transition to Spike TV in 2013.

“Bjorn and Eddie had a great conversation and had some great talks. Bjorn has expressed interest in keeping Eddie, and talks have gone really well, and that’s all I can really say at this point,” Robinson told MMAWeekly.com this week.

“Talks have gone really well with Bellator and Eddie just wants to fight the best fighters he can, and get a contract he feels is fair, but I can tell you Bjorn has gone out of his way to make Eddie feel welcome and talks have gone well so far, so we’ll see what the future brings,” said Robinson.

LINK

Post #1   10/25/12 10:44:01AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Chips:
Bjorn's bankroll < Lorenzo's, so unless loyalty is Eddie's deciding factor, Eddie is done in Bellator because better fights, more exposure, and better pay are all on the other side of the fence.

Post #2   10/25/12 10:50:28AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Bjorn's bankroll < Lorenzo's, so unless loyalty is Eddie's deciding factor, Eddie is done in Bellator because better fights, more exposure, and better pay are all on the other side of the fence.

Well if he stays in Bellator hes there poster child and will get all teh attention at evry event...If he comes to the UFC hes just another fighter nothing special...

Post #3   10/25/12 11:29:28AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,690-1,482
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Well if he stays in Bellator hes there poster child and will get all teh attention at evry event...If he comes to the UFC hes just another fighter nothing special...

Eddie is NOT just another fighter. The man puts on the type of fights fans want to see and wins. Eddie is easily a top 10 LW and has been for a few years in my opinion.

I was hoping to see Eddie in the UFC, but my gut is screaming he stays with Bellator

Post #4   10/25/12 11:55:48AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

I completely disagree. Eddie has some great wins for a guy that hasn't fought in the UFC: Pat Curran, Aoki, Imada, Kikuno, Kawajiri, Pitbull, Neer, Hellboy, and it goes on. There is a logjam of talent at 155 in the UFC and Eddie fits right in there and can beat any of the guys there now on any given night. Just because a guy hasn't fought in the UFC yet doesn't discredit his resume, and Eddie's is excellent. Also, the guy puts on exciting fights and that's a huge plus for anyone fighting in the big show and it definitely makes them stand out from being "just another guy". I suggest you watch some of Eddie's fights Smasher, if you aren't impressed by the guy after seeing him in action then your eye for talent needs a monocle.

Post #5   10/25/12 12:20:18PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
to hell with bellator, Eddie! all us devoted MMA fans have been waiting for him to step into the octagon for years. i dont know how to use twitter or Facebook or anything like that but somebody needs to let Dana and Lorenzo know that Eddie needs to be in the ufc. bellator has some good talent but they still aint the big leagues. if anybody deserves to be in the ufc its Eddie.

Post #6   10/25/12 12:33:47PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

I completely disagree. Eddie has some great wins for a guy that hasn't fought in the UFC: Pat Curran, Aoki, Imada, Kikuno, Kawajiri, Pitbull, Neer, Hellboy, and it goes on. There is a logjam of talent at 155 in the UFC and Eddie fits right in there and can beat any of the guys there now on any given night. Just because a guy hasn't fought in the UFC yet doesn't discredit his resume, and Eddie's is excellent. Also, the guy puts on exciting fights and that's a huge plus for anyone fighting in the big show and it definitely makes them stand out from being "just another guy". I suggest you watch some of Eddie's fights Smasher, if you aren't impressed by the guy after seeing him in action then your eye for talent needs a monocle.

I agree 100% Cowcatcher. I can't sit back and say I've seen everyone of his fights but the ones I have seen have been amazing to say the least. Most recently a couple weeks ago against The Pitbull where he landed that nasty headkick and finished him in the 1st. A fight that most people thought would be super close or even go the distance.

If you look back on Eddie's resume, lets just look at his last 10 fights. Eddie is 9-1 with only one of those fights going the distance. A Decision win over Pat Curran whose also a beast. Eddie finishes fights. There's nothing unexciting about a guy that finishes tough opponents. With the exception of the Michael Chandler loss whose another fighter that fits into the thick of things and is a UFC caliber fighter.

Post #7   10/25/12 12:46:39PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:
To all those who think Eddie Alvarez is exciting......

Heres my opinion...

His excitemnet turns to Hector Lombard when faced with guys like Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Ben Henderson, and most the top 10 of UFC...

Its easy to be exciting against guys you have a ton of confidence you can beat....

Im just not so sure he can carry that confidence to the next level...

Its like football...A freat exciting WR in college who breaks tackles and throws people out the way to make a TD...He gets to the NFL "UFC" and realizes wow these guys are all just as fast as I am, are better wrestlers and flat out stronger...

To assume he will be exciting to watch in the UFC is jumping the gun....

Lets sign him first and then give him an easy fight.....which of course the UFC will...

Oh my bad....many here will say a fight like Joe Lauzon or Sam Stout wont be easy but they arent top ten...

Last edited 10/25/12 1:00PM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/25/12 1:00:09PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Heres my opinion...

His excitemnet turns to Hector Lombard when faced with guys like Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Ben Henderson, and most the top 10 of UFC...

Its easy to be exciting against guys you have a ton of confidence you can beat....

Its like football...A freat exciting WR in college who breaks tackles and throws people out the way to make a TD...He gets to the NFL "UFC" and realizes wow these guys are all just as fast as I am, are better wrestlers and flat out stronger...

Lets sign him first and then give him an easy fight.....which of course the UFC will...

Oh my bad....many here will say a fight like Joe Lauzon or Sam Stout wont be easy but they arent top ten...

Assuming he won't be exciting after he has been is CLEARLY jumping the gun. I understand that guys have fallen flat once in the UFC but when you start saying every guy will thats just ridiculous brah

Post #9   10/25/12 1:11:07PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

While the premise makes sense, I feel that Bjorn could outspend Lorenzo on Alverez depending on how high the stakes get. He would be a great addition to the UFC roster, but at a certain point I don't see the UFC throwing that much money at a LW. Not saying they wouldn't try and don't have deeper pockets, but I would be surprised if they were really willing to pick up an overly hefty contract.

Post #10   10/25/12 1:27:34PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by cowcatcher

While the premise makes sense, I feel that Bjorn could outspend Lorenzo on Alverez depending on how high the stakes get. He would be a great addition to the UFC roster, but at a certain point I don't see the UFC throwing that much money at a LW. Not saying they wouldn't try and don't have deeper pockets, but I would be surprised if they were really willing to pick up an overly hefty contract.

I'd usually agree, but when Dana publicly reaches out to a guy and it's a guy he's talked about with some esteem in the past, I think it's almost guaranteed that Dana spends the money to get him. On top of that, he's taking one of the bigger draws away from the competition, it makes sense to spend some dough on Eddie,. I don't think they'll have to break the bank for him, either, but he more than likely will be paid more than a 12/12 contract right off the bat.

Post #11   10/25/12 1:52:59PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,167-622
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by kingsmasher

Heres my opinion...

Assuming he won't be exciting after he has been is CLEARLY jumping the gun. I understand that guys have fallen flat once in the UFC but when you start saying every guy will thats just ridiculous brah

Hector Lombard will be getting another chance to prove his excitement inside of the UFC win he fights Palhares. There was a good chance Hector Lombard fought Tim Boetsch injured. Well that's what he said and it sure did appear that way to me.

Glover Texeira is another fighter who is exciting and never had his chance in the UFC and you see how that turned out.

Post #12   10/25/12 1:53:41PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Well if he stays in Bellator hes there poster child and will get all teh attention at evry event

at EVERY EVENT? WOW!!!!!! Even the ones where he's not fighting??? What a deal!!! STAY IN BELLATOR EDDIE!!!!!

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #13   10/25/12 4:12:54PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:
I'm just going to skip past the obviously ridiculous and misinformed posts.

I hope Eddie comes to the ufc. Not because he's going to win a title, but because he's an entertaining Lightweight (who happens to be my favourite fighter) that has a ton of great match ups available for him. Besides a second Chandler fight, there really isn't anything left for Eddie in Bellator and it would be a waste imo to have him there.

Post #14   10/25/12 4:16:31PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by kingsmasher

Well if he stays in Bellator hes there poster child and will get all teh attention at evry event

at EVERY EVENT? WOW!!!!!! Even the ones where he's not fighting??? What a deal!!! STAY IN BELLATOR EDDIE!!!!!

Even the ones hes not fighting yeah....I could see the reporters asking him more questions than any other current fighter on the roster except Askren and Mcdonald..

So yeah I think at those events to as long as he makes an appearance.

I dont think he comes to the UFC...

Post #15   10/25/12 6:59:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2