Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Winkeljohn: Jon Jones isn't far from 'that Anderson Silva place' with his striking

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been undeniably dominant in his UFC run thus far, but one thing he hasn't shown is thunderous power with his striking. Trainer Mike Winkeljohn thinks it's only a matter of time before he's able to develop that though. In an interview on Sherdog Radio, he said that JBJ is close to being like, of all people, Anderson Silva in terms of one-hitter quitters:

"Since he's come to camp, I'm real blessed that this young man listens and he went from being mostly a wrestler to now he's turning over to becoming a great striker in the division. He's almost there, he's almost to that Anderson Silva place where he is going to start getting those one punch and one kick knockouts. Just wait, you haven't seen anything yet."

LINK

Post #1   10/24/12 8:45:32PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:976-624
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
those side kicks jones does to fighters knees is a dirty imo

Post #2   10/24/12 9:28:17PM   

NaturalBornKiller92

MMA Regular

NaturalBornKiller92 Avatar

Career:131-89
Chips:
One of the only knocks on Jon Jones, imo, has been that he couldn't finish people early. This allows his opponents to have more chances at one punch knockouts as they have more time with him in the octagon without being finished...just splitting hairs on a great fighter. If he starts getting one punch knockouts down, he will become even harder to handle.

Last edited 10/24/12 9:53PM server time by NaturalBornKiller92
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/24/12 9:52:29PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Yes he is. . . Jones will never be anywhere near Anderson when it comes to striking. Never.
Anderson is lethal, accurate, powerful, poised and quick. Jones is rangey and flamboyant but his striking is simple and his footwork sucks. He's a wrestler and he's got too many bad habits to ever be as good as Anderson.

Jones may end up being the better mma fighter** over time but he'll never be as good as Anderson when it comes to striking.

** He won't be.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   10/24/12 10:09:03PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

+1 I agree, he pretends he's an honorable fighter and then threatens his opponents careers by kicking them in the knees so their legs go the wrong way. Don't tell me it's a fight, anything goes - its a sport. There are no rabbit punching rules for the same reason.

Last edited 10/24/12 10:19PM server time by infestructure

Post #5   10/24/12 10:17:44PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

Rampage said it best... he has no honor

Post #6   10/24/12 10:40:16PM   

DailyGrindMMA

Learning to Sprawl

DailyGrindMMA Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Skill wise, Jones is very far from Anderson with his striking. However, as far as being effective in his division, Wink is right, he's not that far behind him.

He out struck Shogun, Rampage, Machida, and Rashad.... in a row.

Until proven otherwise, he is the best striker in the division right now.

And the best wrestler...

Scary.

Post #7   10/24/12 11:13:08PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by DailyGrindMMA

Skill wise, Jones is very far from Anderson with his striking. However, as far as being effective in his division, Wink is right, he's not that far behind him.

take away the massive reach advantage and he would get exposed

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   10/25/12 1:08:02AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

anderson does them too, be fair. I wish they werent legal but i cant call them dirty. also remember back when fighters used to cover eachothers mouths to disrupt breathing? legal.

Last edited 10/25/12 1:34AM server time by ghandikush

Post #9   10/25/12 1:32:57AM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,545-881
Chips:
those knee kicks (not just JJs) bother me too. makes me sick to my stomach seeing folks' knees get kicked like that, but that might be bc mine are bad.

Post #10   10/25/12 4:25:34AM   

DailyGrindMMA

Learning to Sprawl

DailyGrindMMA Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DailyGrindMMA

take away the massive reach advantage and he would get exposed

DUH.

but unless he loses an arm in another drunk driving accident, he has the 85" reach.

and this is why he can hold his hands out and make shogun look silly from a mile away

Post #11   10/25/12 5:30:13AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:699-385
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by Lungsofsteel

+1 I agree, he pretends he's an honorable fighter and then threatens his opponents careers by kicking them in the knees so their legs go the wrong way. Don't tell me it's a fight, anything goes - its a sport. There are no rabbit punching rules for the same reason.

come on seriously ! that is a muay thai technique...if its legal then how is it dirty ?? what is the difference with elbowing someone in the face or frank mir breaking minotauro's arm ?

by jones doing that move he is always keeping his opponent guessing and that is the trick when striking. Don't you think if that move was so bad and if it had done so much damage in the past that they would have it banned ? it's completely legit and a very smart move.

about winkeljohn's comment...i think jones has phenomenal kicks and he uses his range very good...but his boxing cannot even be mentioned in the same sentence as andersons' at this point. Anderson is still on a completely other level imo....striking wise that is.

Post #12   10/25/12 7:16:28AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,838-1,149
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
When he starts beating people the way Silva wrecks them with his KO power in his hands, feet, and knees.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #13   10/25/12 9:58:22AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I have seen Jon Jones get touched far more then I have ever seen Anderson get hit.

Post #14   10/25/12 10:00:06AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
My first response was to point out how Machida got the better of him striking....but rumour has it that that is the case with Silva as well.

Post #15   10/25/12 11:13:24AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2