Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC's Chad Mendes has battery count dropped, pleads no contest to lesser charge

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After two months, Chad Mendes' legal ordeal is over.

The onetime UFC featherweight title challenger on Monday had a battery charge against him dropped in Hanford, Calif. Instead, according to reports, Mendes pled no contest to a lesser public disturbance charge, paid a fine and was released.

Mendes (12-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is scheduled to meet Hacran Dias (21-1-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC on FX 6 in December.

The Team Alpha Male fighter was charged in late August with battery for allegedly sucker punching a man during a July 29 bar fight in Hanford. The charge carried a possible $2,000 fine and up to six months in county jail.

According to the "Hanford Sentinel," Kings County Sheriff's deputies say Mendes "sucker punched a man in the face" at a local bar during the July incident.

"I have said from the beginning that the ridiculous allegations published by the media were either false or incredibly sensationalized. Today’s outcome proves it," Mendes stated in the widely reported release.

LINK

Post #1   10/23/12 1:10:58PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave
"I have said from the beginning that the ridiculous allegations published by the media were either false or incredibly sensationalized. Today’s outcome proves it," Mendes stated in the widely reported release.

Yeah right. If you weren't guilty, why are you copping to lesser charges? I mean I guess he could be innocent and it could be a he said she said situation that leaves Mendes in question as the higher profile party.... He pleads to lesser charges and gets it expunged from his record shortly thereafter... But I guess at this point only Mendes and the bar goers know exactly what happened.

Post #2   10/23/12 1:28:07PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
^ Innocent people sometimes cop out to lesser charge, because going into the court room is a toss up. Unless your completely innocent and have enough evidence to prove you are innocent, I would try to settle all legal arguments outside of the court room.

Post #3   10/23/12 2:33:02PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by BuffaloDave

Yeah right. If you weren't guilty, why are you copping to lesser charges? I mean I guess he could be innocent and it could be a he said she said situation that leaves Mendes in question as the higher profile party.... He pleads to lesser charges and gets it expunged from his record shortly thereafter... But I guess at this point only Mendes and the bar goers know exactly what happened.

I'm sorry bro but I believe him (and I can't stand Mendes), he is acting vindicated. I have plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid further court battles before, it's a common tactic by the courts to get convictions and move people through faster

Post #4   10/23/12 5:04:34PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Posted by pmoney

Posted by BuffaloDave

I'm sorry bro but I believe him (and I can't stand Mendes), he is acting vindicated. I have plead guilty to lesser charges to avoid further court battles before, it's a common tactic by the courts to get convictions and move people through faster

Qoute from a Tort Law movie, "going to court actually ruins the whole process."

or something like that.

Post #5   10/23/12 5:29:20PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by BuffaloDave

What he pled to, is nothing more than a fine, Whether he's guilty or not, It's easier just for him by doing this, now the whole thing is behind him.

Post #6   10/23/12 6:01:01PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
A trained fighter with cardio for days probably isn't going to need to sucker punch a guy in a fight. As a matter of fact, his instincts are probably going to be to square up with the guy at a distance.

My guess is that he did get in a fight, lit the guy up and the guy tried to save face and get paid by claiming he was assaulted out of nowhere instead of losing a fight. Since it's tough to prove what happened when in a fight, and there seems to be an implicit acknowledgement that Mendes did tag him, copping to a lesser charge is probably the smart move.

Post #7   10/24/12 9:10:22AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,511-929
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Are there any civil charges?

Post #8   10/24/12 9:11:05AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

^ Innocent people sometimes cop out to lesser charge, because going into the court room is a toss up. Unless your completely innocent and have enough evidence to prove you are innocent, I would try to settle all legal arguments outside of the court room.

Not at all its more on the prosecution if they have enough proof...He can afford a lawyer....If he were innocent with a paid lawyer charges easily would be dropped. Prolly best deal he could get...

Post #9   10/24/12 1:16:20PM