Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rich Franklin Explains Why He is the UFC’s “Company Man”

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If there was a list of fighters in the UFC under the Zuffa era that the company would always stand behind no matter what, a few names would surely be etched into eternity.

Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar would quickly get added after their fight helped launch the UFC to a whole new stratosphere during The Ultimate Fighter season 1 finale. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell will always be remembered for his title reign, and as the face of the company when they finally hit the big time. 
Matt Hughes would likely gain the same kind of favor for his performances inside the Octagon and sticking by the UFC no matter what.

If there was another name that would surely be added to that list, it would be former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin.

On more than a few occasions, Franklin has stepped up when the company needed him.

Link

Post #1   10/22/12 2:37:33PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,007-579
Chips:
I wish being "the company man" meant a permanent return to MW and being matched up with some top contenders...like Stann, Bizzz, or Belcher for that matter. I find a lot of fights at mw with Rich to be very compelling, for instance I wish we could have seen him fight Chael.

Last edited 10/22/12 2:53PM server time by airkerma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/22/12 2:51:46PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I've always liked Franklin.

Last edited 10/22/12 3:09PM server time by george112

Post #3   10/22/12 3:06:31PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

What a classy son of a bitch. Fan, and always will be. There needs to be a humble piece to the puzzle. Some many egotistical nut bags out there, glad he provides the balance.

Post #4   10/22/12 3:30:43PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
Near the end of the article Franklin says "I’d never turn down a fight with the UFC," but earlier in the article he admits to turning down a fight with Gustafsson. Actions speak louder than words. Talk is cheap.

Post #5   10/22/12 3:37:59PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,424-810
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Near the end of the article Franklin says "I’d never turn down a fight with the UFC," but earlier in the article he admits to turning down a fight with Gustafsson. Actions speak louder than words. Talk is cheap.

Text is Cheap too.

he didnt take Gustafsson on 2 weeks notice. How do you know he didn't mean he wouldn't turn down a fight in the UFC as long as he was given enough time for a full training camp?

Last edited 10/22/12 3:50PM server time by Poor_Franklin

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #6   10/22/12 3:42:17PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
I always liked Rich and always put a bet down on him since the Anderson Silva fights. He's HoF Company Man.imo He's got some great names on his wall, and Cung Le will just be another.

WAR MATH TEACHER!

Post #7   10/22/12 4:07:41PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Sir_Karl

Text is Cheap too.

he didnt take Gustafsson on 2 weeks notice. How do you know he didn't mean he wouldn't turn down a fight in the UFC as long as he was given enough time for a full training camp?

or 4 weeks at the very least

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #8   10/22/12 4:09:18PM   

Dberntson

Standup Guy

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,010-590
Camp: TKO
Chips:
He may not be the tougher teacher ever, as Baron Von Raske was a substitute teacher, but I would bet that he is the toughest math teacher in the U.S.

Post #9   10/22/12 4:17:54PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,844-989
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
You gotta love Rich, he's a class act!!! Probably a good thing he turned down the Gustafson fight, I like Rich but I think Alex would be waaaay to big for him and murder him!!!

Post #10   10/22/12 7:08:02PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I wish being "the company man" meant a permanent return to MW and being matched up with some top contenders...like Stann, Bizzz, or Belcher for that matter. I find a lot of fights at mw with Rich to be very compelling, for instance I wish we could have seen him fight Chael.

Rich is still elite too; so it would be a huge test for these guys. rich is gatekeeper who can win most of his fights vs contenders

Post #11   10/22/12 8:09:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

Rich is still elite too; so it would be a huge test for these guys. rich is gatekeeper who can win most of his fights vs contenders

If Anderson Silva wasn't the middle weight champion, Rich Franklin could be a lot more than a gate keeper.

He's never been dominated by anyone other than Anderson. He has all the skills you need in MMA and he's got a great mind for fighting. I think there's a decent chance that he could capture the title if Anderson were to retire tomorrow.

Post #12   10/22/12 11:50:42PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Manak

Posted by airkerma

If Anderson Silva wasn't the middle weight champion, Rich Franklin could be a lot more than a gate keeper.

He's never been dominated by anyone other than Anderson. He has all the skills you need in MMA and he's got a great mind for fighting. I think there's a decent chance that he could capture the title if Anderson were to retire tomorrow.

completely agree, forgot to add i think he would still be champ if not for anderson.

Post #13   10/23/12 12:14:36PM