Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Injuries

Print  
Posted By Message

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
So in the last few months there has been quite a few injuries in my gym. We all know that MMA is a dangerous sport. When fighters come in on a daily basis and punch, kick, choke and joint lock each other there are bound to be injuries. however, I have seen more injuries happen because of weird, freak accidents lately. a few months back I ruptured an organ while rolling jujitsu, we were even going light, just kind of feeding each other sweeps and stuff when I got kneed in a weird spot. next thing I know I'm in surgery. another time a fighter was practicing take downs when somebodies bigtoe went in his eye and broke his ocular bone. then, today, me and another fighter were kickboxing with takedowns and I threw a knee tap the same time he tried a lateral drop and my head landed in his jaw and broke it in 2 places. I consider these fairly serious injuries.

my question is, what are some of the injuries others have had while training MMA, jujitsu, kickboxing etc.? anything weird that you have seen? has anybody had to give up a sport because of injuries?

Post #1   10/15/12 2:02:25AM   

941_Florida_Boy

MMA Regular

941_Florida_Boy Avatar

Career:1,554-1,084
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
i broke my hand on a guy's face once, he needed stitches but my hand was jacked for weeks

Post #2   10/15/12 9:46:44AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Nothing strange about the injuries that I can think of but I have seen a ton of them. Its the nature of the sport. I had to cut my rolling time back a ton due to a seperated shoulder. I was on top in mount I went for a belly down armbar on a dude that had a belly that didn't allow my knees to touch the ground. When I went forward with it I tried to post on my head and it fucked me up real nice.

Post #3   10/15/12 10:35:48AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I saw a guys ankle get broken cause he refused to tap. He deserved it. From what I heard the guy was a pomus prick. I was visiting this gym with a friend. Glad I came that night. Their trainer wasnt even mad. I thought the dude should have let up, because we talking about practice, but, whatever.

Post #4   10/15/12 11:31:25AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
i have seen lots of people get their arm broke from not tapping. its always a bad idea not to tap to an armlock. live to fight another day right.

Post #5   10/15/12 12:39:20PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Didn't you guys move your gym to some new digs? I remember Hougland was buying (or bought?) a different place to move the gym to....f I'm remembering right. Could the new building be cursed?

Post #6   10/15/12 5:05:02PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,291-843
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Me and a guy who I've rolled with multiple times accidentally got his elbow dislocated from an armbar.

He was in my guard and I went for a triangle. He tried to stack me but I switched to an armbar. His momentum from trying to stack and me locking it in made him fall forward over me and his elbow just kind of bent the wrong way

I felt horrible

Post #7   10/15/12 5:19:46PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 39-50

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,612-1,018
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I got a free month of muay thai classes as a gift last spring & they nearly killed me! haha I've never been so sore!!!
ANYWAYS My first class we were doing a little pad work & everyone partnered up. Luckily a couple buddies of mine came with me & we took it slow on each other. The class bonehead (who obviously mistook this little after work fitness class as a ufc training camp) got partnered up with a 5 foot nothing middle aged chubby fellow & everyone got to work. Even tho the trainer would advise everyone to take it easy & have fun this bonehead would CRUSH the pads every time like he just caught them in bed with his mother. 5 minutes in everything is going smooth until the trainer calls for a right high kick & just then the chubby fellow slipped on some sweat & stumbled forward directly into the path of the monster head kick that the bonehead had thrown & SMACK! The little fellow did his best Paulo Thiago impression (vs Siyar) & was laid out cold. He woke up shook but mostly embarrassed. To his credit he came back to class after a week & told everyone he was slightly concussed. haha That stupid bonehead never even apologized I think

Post #8   10/15/12 7:37:13PM