Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Silva then offered the fight to Johnson, through his manager Monte Cox. When Cox called Silva back to tell him Johnson agreed to take the fight at 170 pounds, Silva said he told Cox about the Attonito release and wanted him to tell Johnson what had just happened as well. Cox did just that.

Later that day, Silva saw Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter 17 tryouts in Las Vegas. He said he thanked Johnson for taking the fight but also noticed that he looked heavier than usual. A couple of hours later, Johnson told Silva that he weighed 210 pounds and didn't think he could make 170 pounds. Silva then offered him a 175-pound catch weight fight against Nelson, which both fighters agreed to.

At the Sept. 28 weigh-ins in England, Johnson ended up weighing 183 pounds, missing weight by 8 pounds. As a result, twenty percent of his purse was given to Nelson. Johnson lost the fight the next day and was released earlier this week.

"I thought it was incredibly unfair to Gunnar Nelson to fight someone that much larger than him," Silva said. "Johnson told me he could make the weight. He's not doing me a favor if he missed weight because I could have gotten someone else who would have made the weight.

"I never pressure anyone to take late notice fights. I got a bunch of guys who want to fight. If one says no, I will find someone else. No problem."

LINK

Post #1   10/11/12 6:02:26PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Rich got released? That seems crappy.

Post #2   10/11/12 6:26:17PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He dicked them around for a few straight days when they could've been looking for a different replacement. I don't think it's crappy at all, personally.

Post #3   10/11/12 6:45:16PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

He dicked them around for a few straight days when they could've been looking for a different replacement. I don't think it's crappy at all, personally.

But, weight cutting on short notice can't be easy.

Post #4   10/11/12 8:02:29PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

But, weight cutting on short notice can't be easy.

I agree with Fleek, I mean it's not that hard to jump on a scale and see how much you weigh, to give a honest answer if you can make weight or not.

Post #5   10/11/12 8:18:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Demarcus has stepped up on more than one occasion to take a fight. They should have over looked the loss.

I do think the missed weight did hurt. He was facing nelson he was a huge underdog. I hope he goes to bellator

Post #6   10/11/12 8:36:14PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Johnson will win 2-3 fights outside the promotion and be brought back. I almost forgot all about Attonito. He hasn't fought since December. IMO either guy should have fought Papy Abedi before getting their walking papers. That would have been a fun fight to watch

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #7   10/11/12 8:41:16PM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

I Agree. I don't like that decision at all. The guy was trying to step in and do a favor and 2 days later realized he wasn't gonna make it and told them.

If I was under contract with the UFC I would tell them no. It obviously isn't in your best interest to go out on a limb and try to help them. Here you have 2 different guys who tried and they released both of them. My opinion of Joe Silva has gone down the toilet on this one.

Post #8   10/11/12 10:09:12PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:

Posted by NE-1

I Agree. I don't like that decision at all. The guy was trying to step in and do a favor and 2 days later realized he wasn't gonna make it and told them.

If I was under contract with the UFC I would tell them no. It obviously isn't in your best interest to go out on a limb and try to help them. Here you have 2 different guys who tried and they released both of them. My opinion of Joe Silva has gone down the toilet on this one.

Also having to travel overseas. I get that Joe was probably angry and probably angry overall with all the injuries. But, I wouldn't cut Rich in that situation.

Post #9   10/11/12 11:35:10PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
I don't feel that bad about the weight cutting issue as I am not an elite athlete and I cut from 226 down to 204 in only 36 hours last week. I dont spend 6 hours a day in a gyme excercising and training on how to whoop a guys ass and I havent been on a wrestling squad with coaches etc in years. Weight needs to never be an issue for professional athletes unless they are suffering from a lower body injury. If they are then they shouldnt accept the match to begin with.
On the flip side if he had made weight then the fact that he stepped up the way he did should have gotten him a pass on the loss, but another notch down in the rankings could not be avoided.

Post #10   10/12/12 1:46:06AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,754-923
Chips:
"I never pressure anyone to take late notice fights. I got a bunch of guys who want to fight. If one says no, I will find someone else. No problem."

Looks like this didn't apply to Rich. He wanted to take the fight on short notice, turns out he couldn't make it, lets them know, and is cut. That doesn't add up to the quote from Silva here. Disagree with this decision.

Agreed on the DaMarques front though.

Post #11   10/12/12 4:38:02AM   

941_Florida_Boy

MMA Regular

941_Florida_Boy Avatar

Career:1,495-1,043
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
I have mixed feelings about this topic.

#1 - when you have an "important" figure like Joe Silva asking you to take a fight on short notice - how do you NOT feel pressured?

#2 - if you know you can't make weight - be honest about it EARLY enough that the "powers that be" can try to find a solution in a reasonable amount of time

#3 - I'm against ANYONE being cut without 3-4 straight loses with having a FULL training camp behind them

I realize my opinion on this is an ill-fated event that will fall on deaf ears more than likely...

I just think there are exciting fighters that put on great performances and for one reason or another are "forced" out of the UFC largely due to the ever-growing/expanding roster of fighters within the promotion...

Just my opinion... but I would still like to see people like Rich Clementi, Arlovski, John Alessio, Jason Miller, War Machine, Luigi Fioravanti, Pete Spratt, Luke Cummo, Tamdan McCrory, Dustin Hazelett, Josh Burkman, Tyson Griffin, Mike Brown, Leonard Garcia, and even Jens Pulver & Gomi to name a FEW...

maybe not all of these fighters have been officially "cut" as of yet and for that I apologize - my point is that even though they may not be "TOP TEN" or even "TOP 30" guys - I still enjoy the performances they put on & would love to see them continue to compete inside the Octagon...

Post #12   10/12/12 11:29:20AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by Bythar

Looks like this didn't apply to Rich. He wanted to take the fight on short notice, turns out he couldn't make it, lets them know, and is cut. That doesn't add up to the quote from Silva here. Disagree with this decision.

If he has 'a bunch of guy's' why did the Jones fight get cancelled after Sonnen was turned down?

Post #13   10/12/12 3:12:27PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,754-923
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by Bythar

If he has 'a bunch of guy's' why did the Jones fight get cancelled after Sonnen was turned down?

Indeed.

Post #14   10/12/12 6:40:43PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Scumbag Joe Silva, Cut's Rich for being honest, then cut's DaMarques for being a replacement and not being honest.

I always liked Rich too ever since TuF.

Post #15   10/12/12 11:37:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2