Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Official RATE The Song Above You Thread

Print  
  Page 5 of 12   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8   >>
Posted By Message

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Never heard this song before but it's pretty good. 8.5/10

As for my song.. It's a guilty pleasure but I love me some Young Jeezy.

Young Jeezy - Trap Star

Jeezy also a guilty pleasure to me. His old stuff anyway. I bumped this track back in the day for sure. 6.5/10

Black Angels - Black Grease

Can't live without this band. Top of my 'to see' list.

I hear ya gogo. I like the free Slaughterhouse mixtape better than the album.

Wu-Tang - Severe Punishment

I like the song Gogo. 7/10

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #61   10/13/12 3:56:25PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Wu-Tang - Severe Punishment

I like the song Gogo. 7/10

There's always that soft spot in my heart for a little Wu 7.5/10

I'll keep the hip-hop going

Biggie - 10 Crack Commandments

Post #62   10/13/12 5:21:26PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:913-568
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

There's always that soft spot in my heart for a little Wu 7.5/10

I'll keep the hip-hop going

Biggie - 10 Crack Commandments

10/10.

Biggie - Hypnotize

Last edited 10/13/12 5:37PM server time by jakewalters
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #63   10/13/12 5:31:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
7/10 I like biggie

Switching genres

Boneyards- Parkway Drive

Post #64   10/13/12 6:17:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by george112

7/10 I like biggie

Switching genres

Boneyards- Parkway Drive

3/10

3rd rate, generic deathcore. So many stereotypes in this song. Sorry! lol

Black River - Lucky in Hell

Post #65   10/13/12 8:20:38PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
That's heavy metal man . Not deathcore

To each his own

Post #66   10/13/12 8:31:29PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

That's heavy metal man . Not deathcore

To each his own

Well deathcore is metal. death metal+metalcore=deathcore

But more power to you if you dig it man. We all got our tastes!

Last edited 10/13/12 8:36PM server time by warglory

Post #67   10/13/12 8:35:36PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
Well yeah if you look at heavy metal as an umbrella term. I do not. As most people dont. They each have their own characteristics that are not hard to pick out.

Post #68   10/13/12 8:39:37PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Well yeah if you look at heavy metal as an umbrella term. I do not. As most people dont. They each have their own characteristics that are not hard to pick out.

Well death metal falls under the metal genre, as does metalcore, so when you combine the two, it's still considered heavy metal, and Parkway Drive is most definitely metal, but falls under the deathcore genre. It you don't think Parkway Drive is deathcore, I'd like to hear what you consider to actually be part of that genre.

Post #69   10/14/12 1:21:33AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

Well death metal falls under the metal genre, as does metalcore, so when you combine the two, it's still considered heavy metal, and Parkway Drive is most definitely metal, but falls under the deathcore genre. It you don't think Parkway Drive is deathcore, I'd like to hear what you consider to actually be part of that genre.

As much as I would like to list hundreds of bands I refuse to derail this awesome thread. If people want they can do a very simple google/youtube search and find out for themselves that they are different.

I'm giving your song a 6.5/10

Earth Angel- The Temptations

Last edited 10/14/12 6:36AM server time by george112

Post #70   10/14/12 6:35:43AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by warglory

Posted by george112

As much as I would like to list hundreds of bands I refuse to derail this awesome thread. If people want they can do a very simple google/youtube search and find out for themselves that they are different.

Hey whatever works man, I'd like to see some of the bands you are referring to though, pm if you want. Not a big deal, I just can't wrap my mind around the argument that deathcore isn't metal.

Post #71   10/14/12 12:51:02PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
Lol I never said deathcore wasn't metal. I said it wasnt heavy metal. Those are separate genres. Metal i guess could be the umbrella term your referring to. But thats not what you said in original post

Rock- umbrella term for...
Alternative
New age
Contemporary
Etc..

Metal-umbrella term for...
Heavy metal
Death metal
Etc..

Get what I'm trying to say?

Last edited 10/14/12 1:45PM server time by george112
2 total post edits

Post #72   10/14/12 1:36:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Lol I never said deathcore wasn't metal. I said it wasnt heavy metal. Those are separate genres. Metal i guess could be the umbrella term your referring to. But thats not what you said in original post

Rock- umbrella term for...
Alternative
New age
Contemporary
Etc..

Metal-umbrella term for...
Heavy metal
Death metal
Etc..

Get what I'm trying to say?

Dude I have been listening to metal for close to 15 years, I ran a successful metal blog for over 7 years, and I have never heard anyone break down heavy metal and metal as separate genres. Using the term "metal" is the exact same thing as saying "heavy metal." Heavy metal is the universally accepted term for for the genre as a whole, which encompasses all sub-genres. Some purists use "heavy metal", "classic metal" and "traditional metal" interchangeably for the old school original style of metal, but Parkway Drive would not be included stylistically in this affiliation, as this is reserved for bands of the NWOBHM genre, as well as bands like Manowar, Accept, Judas Priest, etc.

Parkway Drive is a heavy metal band, that plays under the deathcore genre. I say they are deathcore because they adapt the 2nd wave of metalcore begun in the late 90's, with stalwarts such as Unearth and Killswitch Engage as highlight acts. This new wave of metalcore differentiated itself from the 1st wave of metalcore (when hardcore punk began adapting heavier riffs, while maintaining the breakdown and backbeat of punk rock, including bands such as Merauder, Sick Of It All, Earth Crisis, Biohazard and Hatebreed), by assimilating Swedish melodic death metal riffs into it's arsenal (i.e. In Flames, At the Gates). The 2nd wave of metalcore is far more metal than punk, but the breakdowns and much of the backbeat was maintained. Parkway Drive has strong influences from the 2nd wave of metalcore.

Deathcore came about as a natural progression from the 2nd wave of metalcore, by adapting brutal death metal techniques from bands such as Suffocation and Dying Fetus. The first bands to adopt this style early on, back in the first part of the 2000's was All Shall Perish with their album Hate.Malice.Revenge, and 2003's Shut It Down from Animosity. Parkway Drive clearly adopts brutal death metal techniques, and more than that, they use very stereotypical techniques like the drop bass effect during breakdowns, drop tuning, and a growling style of vocals which is a combination of 1st wave metalcore screaming, and brutal death metal growling (including pig squeals).

Parkway Drive is painfully stereotypical deathcore. More power if you like them, but they fit the mold perfectly. Do they have some traditional melodic riffs? Yes, but that doesn't make them traditional metal, it means they are using the same riffs as the Swedes used 20 years ago when they combined Maiden-esque melodies and galloping, with death metal. Nothing new.

If you feel I'm wrong with my breakdown, I invite you to come up with a differing one.

Post #73   10/14/12 6:18:35PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
I will start off by saying that you listening to metal and running a blog gives you no more bearing in this discussion then if you were to have not stated those facts. Totally irrelevant and it is all based on opinion.

Genres are subjective and that was the point I was trying to make. Where your from if yall use heavy metal as the term you described then great. But where I'm from right here in Texas we don't use the term like that.

Secondly im not sure what your post was trying to accomplish other then in the end saying that I was right and acknowledging the fact that I said at the very beginning is was heavy metal. It seemed you needed to take it a step further and validate your superior metal knowledge by adding in the deathcore stuff. And by also saying that I said deathcore wasn't metal. Like I said use google or YouTube and you will find people arguing until their fingers bleed about which bands are in what genre. Deathcore.hardcore. metalcore. Melodic deathmetal. Parkway drive fits into more then one of those categories and IMO when I say they are heavy metal it is to avoid pointless arguments like these that so often frequent metal YouTube videos and what have you.

So in conclusion I stand by what I said that they are heavymetal not deathcore because I will not bind them to being lumped into just one subgenre. That being deathcore. Now like you said their are purist bands that stay true to their established genres . I don't have to list them because I'm sure you already know what I'm talking about and if not its ok because in the end it seems we are not going to agree.

Post #74   10/14/12 6:37:39PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,585-904
Chips:

Posted by george112

LOVE THIS SONG 10/10!!!!!

Stevie Wonder- Higher Ground