Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

“All aboard the UFC Injury Train” an Unofficial record of MMA Fighter Injury

Print  
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Last year, one of our members (MMA Opinions), Adam Boucher began keeping a tally of the injuries in the UFC. He affectionately called it the “UFC Injury Train”. Whenever a fighter suffered an unfortunate mishap, he’d make a post and call everyone by saying “All aboard the UFC Injury Train”. I was wondering how far he’d gotten since tracking these incidents around UFC 143, and here’s where we stand:

LINK

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   10/10/12 4:28:04AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
It is a bit hard to get perspective on this because it doesn't have what the history of injuries was like previously in the UFC.

Post #2   10/10/12 7:20:00AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:

Posted by landstander

It is a bit hard to get perspective on this because it doesn't have what the history of injuries was like previously in the UFC.

Very true. It would be great if we had something to compare these numbers to.

I find all the injuries a little suspicious. I base my suspicion on a 2 things.

1. The large proportion of injuries since the UFC implemented fighter insurance in comparison to years prior (once again I have no numerical evidence of this, I am just going on the basis that my memory serves me well).
Obviously this is a double edged sword, fighters that would have pushed through some discomfort before now have the option to bow out because they are compensated. Which is good and bad.

2. After some Google searching I came up with the number of injuries in the NFL from the past few years: 2007- 413, 2008 -416, 2009- 388, 2010 464. From January to now the UFC has 83 fighters sidelined due to injury (based on this list). However, keep in mind that the NFL according to the research has 2,600 players going through the NFL system on an annual basis. And they are all in training the entire season.

24 fighters on a card * 23 events = 552 fighters (assuming 12 fight card)
83/552 =14.86% of fighters schedule to fight pulled out injured

Average players injured per yer NFL 420.5 / 2600 players 16.16% injured

If you look at the number of active players and number of games I believe these percentages are a bit too close.

I realize the data isn't perfect, but it's something to go off of at this time

Post #3   10/10/12 9:56:31AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by NE-1

Posted by landstander

Very true. It would be great if we had something to compare these numbers to.

I find all the injuries a little suspicious. I base my suspicion on a 2 things.

1. The large proportion of injuries since the UFC implemented fighter insurance in comparison to years prior (once again I have no numerical evidence of this, I am just going on the basis that my memory serves me well).
Obviously this is a double edged sword, fighters that would have pushed through some discomfort before now have the option to bow out because they are compensated. Which is good and bad.

2. After some Google searching I came up with the number of injuries in the NFL from the past few years: 2007- 413, 2008 -416, 2009- 388, 2010 464. From January to now the UFC has 83 fighters sidelined due to injury (based on this list). However, keep in mind that the NFL according to the research has 2,600 players going through the NFL system on an annual basis. And they are all in training the entire season.

24 fighters on a card * 23 events = 552 fighters (assuming 12 fight card)
83/552 =14.86% of fighters schedule to fight pulled out injured

Average players injured per yer NFL 420.5 / 2600 players 16.16% injured

If you look at the number of active players and number of games I believe these percentages are a bit too close.

I realize the data isn't perfect, but it's something to go off of at this time

Damn good post my friend

It's not just you. I too have noticed injuries a lot more prevalent since insurance took effect. But like you I'm just going off of my memory. I like to think my memory is very good though so im fairly confident your on the money when you say its a good AND bad thing.

The good is that legitimate injuries are taken care of etc..

The bad fighters faking injuries to avoid other fighters etc..

Post #4   10/10/12 10:37:30AM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:488-293
Chips:
I think it's safe to add Bigfoot's future opposition to this list!

Post #5   10/10/12 2:09:02PM