Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

DaMarques Johnson confirms UFC release

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Damarques could have just said no both times and still be a UFC fighter.

Post #16   10/9/12 4:41:47PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Damarques could have just said no both times and still be a UFC fighter.

I agree and this is the problem with the cut IMO.

If he hadn't taken those short notice fights he would have had a better chance to win his next 2 appearances. Does that mean he would have? Of course not.

But there's at least a chance that this cut is indirectly due to him taking fights on short notice. That sends the message: "Do us a favor and you just might get punished."

Post #17   10/9/12 5:06:33PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by frizzzlecake

Scumbag UFC, asks a guy to fight on two week's notice TWICE, and holds him accountable like fighters with full camps.

He set the catchweight specifically for him and then missed it by 8 pounds. It's also not the first time he's missed weight and he's 4-6 in the ufc (None of the guys he beat are still with the ufc), on a three fight losing streak where he was finished all three times. Spin it any way you'd like, the cut is justified imo.

Yup, they didn't cut him fast enough IMO. As with Brenneman, both guys were never going to be anything but gatekeepers/record padders, and I'm glad to see them both make way for new talent.

Post #18   10/9/12 5:09:03PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,878-916
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:
The guy is not a very good fighter...certainly not UFC caliber. This cut is long overdue. Johnson was 4-6 in the UFC and all the wins were against guys that got booted from the UFC even sooner. His striking is somewhat good albeit lacking power, but his wrestling and ground game in general are mediocre. There's only so long I wanna watch the top MMA org in the world show a guy that struggles to be competitive against anyone in the top 50 of the division.

Post #19   10/9/12 5:15:28PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

The guy is not a very good fighter...certainly not UFC caliber. This cut is long overdue. Johnson was 4-6 in the UFC and all the wins were against guys that got booted from the UFC even sooner. His striking is somewhat good albeit lacking power, but his wrestling and ground game in general are mediocre. There's only so long I wanna watch the top MMA org in the world show a guy that struggles to be competitive against anyone in the top 50 of the division.

The guy has had a submission of the night bonus and an honorable mention for fight of the year in 2009

Without the short notice fights he possibly could have 6-4 record. Which is a winning record. I'm not saying he would have won those fights but a full fight camp certainly helps.

Who can blame the guy for wanting to get paid?

Post #20   10/9/12 5:23:08PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by OnyxShadow

The guy has had a submission and knockout of the night bonus and an honorable mention for fight of the year in 2009

Without the short notice fights he possibly could have 6-4 record. Which is a winning record. I'm not saying he would have won those fights but a full fight camp certainly helps.

Who can blame the guy for wanting to get paid?

Post #21   10/9/12 5:25:27PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,493-865
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the fact they threw him to Gunnar. I know it was Gunnar's debut but the dude is a manimal.

You'd have to imagine if DW wanted to keep him around he wouldn't have had him fight Gunnar. If that is the case it's just one more slimy move for the always hypocritical bald father.

Tell Matt Mitrione to fight the best wrestler in mma when he got taken down by a gassed Morecraft.

I imagine Meatrione googled Cormier, saw him body slam Barnett and declined the fight. Which is what D-Zilla should have done.

Post #22   10/9/12 6:11:50PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I personally think its his own fault. If your a fighter and you tell the boss yes ill take the fight then you better make the weight especially when the fight has been made into a catch weight bout to help you out.

Post #23   10/9/12 6:31:03PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:987-655
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by sparky

I personally think its his own fault. If your a fighter and you tell the boss yes ill take the fight then you better make the weight especially when the fight has been made into a catch weight bout to help you out.

This post is on the money

Post #24   10/9/12 7:19:14PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Chips:
Even though I think the cut sends a bad message, I will say that I'm not going to miss Johnson.

He came and trained with us at Curran Martial Arts for a bit. I got a chance to meet him and roll with him and I really didn't like his attitude.

He had a definite "holier than thou" attitude. Like he was hot shit because he's a UFC fighter. Maybe this will humble him a bit.

PS.

I'm not trying to fighter bash here. This is my personal opinion of the guy informed by personal experiences.

Post #25   10/9/12 8:07:10PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:1,878-916
Camp: World Top Team
Chips:

Posted by george112

The guy has had a submission of the night bonus and an honorable mention for fight of the year in 2009

A full training camp doesn't get him a win over any of the last three guys that beat him...and none of them with the potential exception of Nelson is particularly impressive. Getting nifty subs and being in fun fights is nice and all, but there's only so long that's relevant in the big leagues. Its not like any of his last 6 losses were even close. In all cases he was subbed or KO'd.

Post #26   10/9/12 9:04:18PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

Scumbag Dana cut's Damarques a guy willing to fight anytime for his company, but calls out Meathead and Jones who weren't willing to step in for injured fighters.

okay i'm done now, to me this has nothing to do with DaMarques and everything to do with the philosophy of the UFC. All the injury's that are accruing and your cutting guys who are willing to step in with one phone call? I won't be surprised or angry when fighter's tell Dana Hell No!

Fighter's Union anyone?

Post #27   10/9/12 9:35:22PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I have no problem with cut, don't miss weight. you can say all you want about short notice but you have requirements you still have to meet. A job is a job no matter the situation and if you don't meet the standards than tough shit. That is life and professional sports is one of the toughest life's in the sense that it chews people up and spits them out without missing a beat.

Post #28   10/9/12 10:57:57PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Chips:
Missing weight didn't help

Post #29   10/10/12 8:48:51AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2