Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

DaMarques Johnson confirms UFC release

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:879-498
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Following a loss at the recent UFC on FUEL TV 5 event, DaMarques Johnson is a UFC fighter no longer.

The welterweight fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 9" runner-up today confirmed his contractual release via Twitter.

His release follows a three-fight losing streak, though the latest defeat came on late notice with some peculiar details.

Johnson (16-12 MMA, 4-6 UFC), who never went to a decision in 10 career UFC fights, met Gunnar Nelson, and the fight took place at UFC on FUEL TV 5 on just 12 days' notice. The bout, which ended with a first-round loss via rear-naked choke, also came just 56 days after a violent knockout loss to Mike Swick.

LINK

Post #1   10/9/12 12:00:53PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:952-638
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
This is a good call. I like the guy but he either needs to get serious about fighting or stay gone

Post #2   10/9/12 1:02:55PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Scumbag UFC, asks a guy to fight on two week's notice TWICE, and holds him accountable like fighters with full camps.

Post #3   10/9/12 2:41:42PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-792
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

Scumbag UFC, asks a guy to fight on two week's notice TWICE, and holds him accountable like fighters with full camps.

Yeah I don't like that.

But its the UFC. Unwarranted cuts are commonplace among legitimate ones

Post #4   10/9/12 2:53:51PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
he did not look good in this last fight for sure. i think they should have given him one more chance but maybe this will be a wakeup call to get serious. i do think that bellator should jump on this opportunity though, i think he could be successful there.

Post #5   10/9/12 2:59:55PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,730-1,561
Chips:

Posted by frizzzlecake

He set the catchweight specifically for him and then missed it by 8 pounds. It's also not the first time he's missed weight and he's 4-6 in the ufc (None of the guys he beat are still with the ufc), on a three fight losing streak where he was finished all three times. Spin it any way you'd like, the cut is justified imo.

Last edited 10/9/12 3:04PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/9/12 3:03:32PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:879-498
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by frizzzlecake

He set the catchweight specifically for him and then missed it by 8 pounds. It's also not the first time he's missed weight and he's 4-6 in the ufc (None of the guys he beat are still with the ufc), on a three fight losing streak where he was finished all three times. Spin it any way you'd like, the cut is justified imo.

It's not like he saved the card by taking the fight, so I also see the release justified as well.

Post #7   10/9/12 3:10:25PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,013-583
Chips:
I don't like it. He isn't great and he did miss weight, but he offered to fill in. I think this sends a terrible message and Dana will soon find himself in his own shit that he bred. If you cut guys when they step up, win lose miss weight, whatever, you will soon find out that nobody will take those short notice fights. Then who suffers? The fans. Notice the steady increase in fighters playing it safe in order to win? Perhaps we will begin to witness more fights being scrapped altogether when replacements refuse to step up, as the risk vs reward is incredibly one sided.

Moves like this inherently damage the product.

Post #8   10/9/12 3:24:05PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I don't like it. He isn't great and he did miss weight, but he offered to fill in. I think this sends a terrible message and Dana will soon find himself in his own shit that he bred. If you cut guys when they step up, win lose miss weight, whatever, you will soon find out that nobody will take those short notice fights. Then who suffers? The fans. Notice the steady increase in fighters playing it safe in order to win? Perhaps we will begin to witness more fights being scrapped altogether when replacements refuse to step up, as the risk vs reward is incredibly one sided.

Exactly

Doesn't matter if it saves the card or not. As a fan I'd want to watch one more fight on a card then them scrapping the fight altogether.

It's not like Johnson missed weight on purpose. Personally if i got offered a fight on 2 weeks notice I would sure as hell take it thinking I could for sure make weight . That's a big payday that could be the last for a while considering Johnson isnt a big name and all. So why not take the fight???

Without the short notice fights his record could possibly be with 2 more W's in it

Post #9   10/9/12 3:39:32PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

I see your point but he was 35 pounds over when he accepted the fight. There was no reason to take the fight if he couldn't make the weight in time. By doing so he screwed himself and made the company look bad by being well over the limit. We don't know if another guy would have filled in or not but either way he took the fight, said he could make 175 and then missed it by a lot and was completely dominated. For all we know there were a couple of guys that would have done it, but Johnson volunteered to do it so the UFC stopped looking for an opponent.

Guys will always offer to fill in because it means they get paid. The bigger fights may be a different story but there are 100s of guys out there that would accept any fight any time.

Post #10   10/9/12 3:39:53PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by airkerma

I see your point but he was 35 pounds over when he accepted the fight. There was no reason to take the fight if he couldn't make the weight in time. By doing so he screwed himself and made the company look bad by being well over the limit. We don't know if another guy would have filled in or not but either way he took the fight, said he could make 175 and then missed it by a lot and was completely dominated. For all we know there were a couple of guys that would have done it, but Johnson volunteered to do it so the UFC stopped looking for an opponent.

Guys will always offer to fill in because it means they get paid. The bigger fights may be a different story but there are 100s of guys out there that would accept any fight any time.

On the same token . Why did the UFC give the fight to Johnson since he was so much over? I mean 35 pounds has to make a difference in a person's apperance.

Im gonna reiterate the fact that these fights are how these guys get paid. That I can guarantee is the deciding factor in stepping up for a short notice fight.

Anybody that isn't a bigger name would have stepped up your right because it could be a while before they fight again

Last edited 10/9/12 3:55PM server time by george112

Post #11   10/9/12 3:49:35PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by airkerma

On the same token . Why did the UFC offer the fight to Johnson since he was so much over? I mean 35 pounds has to make a difference in a person's apperance.

Im gonna reiterate the fact that these fights are how these guys get paid. That I can guarantee is the deciding factor in stepping up for a short notice fight.

Anybody that isn't a bigger name would have stepped up your right because it could be a while before they fight again

They call fighters camps when they offer a fight, they don't go down and visit them personally to give them the fight. Dana and Sean Shelby probably didn't see Johnson until the day of the weigh ins. Also, do we know they reached out to him or he reached out to them? Because I don't know that and I'm assuming most people don't. If they reached out to him he can turn the fight down and tell them he's not going to make the weight but he'd like to fight as soon as possible. He's a name that fans are familiar with and he would get a fight sooner rather than later. If they didn't then he went in knowing he had to lose 35 pounds in two weeks . Not only is doing that highly unlikely, it's extremely damaging to his body in the long run.

At the end of the day though Damarques Johnson isn't ufc level and his fights show that. It was a matter of time before he got cut and this was the straw that broke the camel's back for the UFC I guess.

Last edited 10/9/12 4:09PM server time by budgellism

Post #12   10/9/12 4:08:19PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,184-1,225
Chips:

Posted by george112

On the same token . Why did the UFC give the fight to Johnson since he was so much over? I mean 35 pounds has to make a difference in a person's apperance.

I doubt the UFC sent any representatives to see Johnson in person so they wouldn't know how far overweight he was until he arrived for the event.

I also doubt he volunteered the information that he was 35lbs over, or they would have looked for someone else to fill in.

I think the cut was a justifiable one, Johnson wasn't having any success in the UFC, and was likely given a nice bonus for stepping up on short notice.

I don't believe that taking a fight on short notice should automatically save your job, if it was a close fight maybe, but that wasn't the case this time.

Post #13   10/9/12 4:12:05PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by george112

I doubt the UFC sent any representatives to see Johnson in person so they wouldn't know how far overweight he was until he arrived for the event.

I also doubt he volunteered the information that he was 35lbs over, or they would have looked for someone else to fill in.

I think the cut was a justifiable one, Johnson wasn't having any success in the UFC, and was likely given a nice bonus for stepping up on short notice.

I don't believe that taking a fight on short notice should automatically save your job, if it was a close fight maybe, but that wasn't the case this time.

Post #14   10/9/12 4:14:04PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
This is gonna motivate fighters on the fringe of being cut to take a short notice fight...

Post #15   10/9/12 4:18:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2