Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Pride done?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
Anyone else notice the influx of the top Pride fighters coming to UFC? I thought PRIDE was staying? It may just be the UFC in the future it looks like from what Dana is saying. Does this bother anyone else?

Post #1   5/30/07 11:49:05AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,512-1,449
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
in some ways i like it(all premiere fights on PPVs and dream matches), on the other hand its like seeing the dodgers leave brooklyn, a legacy is crumbling before our eyes. i think pride will be geared towards asian fighters and once they make a name for themselves there we will see them farmed out to UFC. i wonder what guys like barnett and hunt will do now since it seems barnett wants nothing to do with UFC, and hunt is above 265(hopefully he can get the weight down and come over). its sad for sentimental reasons, but all the matches people have talked about for years can happen now so there is a silver lining.

Post #2   5/30/07 12:33:16PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
I think it is sad. With the exception of the ring I liked everything about Pride more than the UFC. The 10 minute first round in my eyes was much better. Stomps and head kicks was not just great for the great KO it delivered, but it also helped keep wrestlers honest. I think it is to big a part of fighting to keep out of MMA. The thing I am going to miss the most is the judging of the entire fight not rounds. BJ Penn vs GSP is great example of why the fight should be judged, and not rounds. GSP did absolutely no damage to BJ, but was able to control BJ, and prevent BJ from hurting him anymore and he got the win in the UFC. On the flip side GSP face looked like he it went through a meat grinder, and had to go to the hospital while BJ was drinking at his after party.

That being said as much as I am sad Pride is dead, I am very excited Zuffa is making the dream fights come true. No more debating we will actually see true world champs.

Post #3   5/30/07 1:26:00PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
What really got me worried was when Dana anounced that he will unify the 205lb belts...

First off, I think Hendo's a beast, but he is better at 185... Matter of fact he's the top 185er in my book... So why doesn't he set up a fight with the winner of Silva / Marquardt? I think he's trying to set up Dan to lose so he can have both belts in the UFC, now this will def be a great fight, but it's still Dana trying to show the UFC's dominance over all other orgs... HENDO SHOULD BE FIGHTING SHOGUN IN THE PRIDE RING... If he wins that fight, then he should be fighting to unify the titles, or send Shogun over if he wins the belt and let us see that rematch...

It just seems ominous to me that he would unify the belts like this...

And to answer your question, this makes me very sad... I love Pride, and it seems like Dana is hell bent on relegating it into a feeder org for the UFC... I'd obviously like to see the best fight the best, but it's depressing to see Dana carving up Pride like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Post #4   5/30/07 1:26:07PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't really see how you can say that since Rampage is also a PRIDE fighter... having him beat Dan doesn't really prove anything in the whole UFC vs PRIDE debate. Not that it matters much at this point, it's just going to be one big organization now.

Post #5   5/30/07 2:16:06PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
dont bother me none, i think its great that UFC is getting the top fighters... UFC is the best, no one can say they're not!

Post #6   5/30/07 2:23:16PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
PRIDE is done for the immediate future, anyway.

Post #7   5/30/07 2:33:18PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

dont bother me none, i think its great that UFC is getting the top fighters... UFC is the best, no one can say they're not!

Yeah its wasy to say that now that Pride is having the life sucked out of it by the vampiric Zuffa, but a year ago people would have hotly contested the point you just made.

Post #8   5/30/07 2:44:29PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
Pride will be missed but I do think MMA will explode with all the new fighters in UFC. The fights will be great. The cards will be packed with great fights, too. Will miss the ground knees and stomps though

Post #9   5/30/07 2:50:54PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by Leland

Anyone else notice the influx of the top Pride fighters coming to UFC? I thought PRIDE was staying? It may just be the UFC in the future it looks like from what Dana is saying. Does this bother anyone else?

I think pride was purchased by the ufc purely for the fighters under its contract. There was never gonna be any plans for pridefc to have a bundle of cash thrown in to the production, it was all about bringing the down the company of the ufc's closest rival and in doing so put all of the top fighters in one orginisation, making the ufc the biggest mma event on the planet.
The ufc is the best show, as they have the biggest bank. And that is purely because the ufc has transformed into a business/sport rather than just an mma event. I dread to think how much the frettitas and dana have made the ufc in the last 5 years.
I believe the plan is to eventually stop pride as an event in japan and ship the ufc over there a couple times a year so the ufc in japan can be upto par with the rest of the world. The UK & IRELAND are primary targets now, I believe soon the ufc will pop up its tent in countrys like france, germany, spain and even one day in russia. The worldwide explosion of the ufc in every country will melt the fact that pridefc is dead as eventually no one will care as pride as an mma contender will be forgotton about.
I was a fan or pride. I liked the difference in the rules and the difference of cage vs ring, thats what sepperated them as two different orginisations.
I am sad to see pridefc go down, but at the same time, im happy that the ufc is growing, the fighters are the best around, the ufc is branching out oversea ( especially in uk ) and that the ufc is finally getting accepted everywhere.
Game on !!!!!!

Post #10   5/30/07 7:48:26PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In a word "YES"

Post #11   5/31/07 2:39:27AM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
It's gone, and it's a great shame. I enjoyed Pride a lot more. Now, less mixed martial arts for everyone!

Post #12   5/31/07 11:19:45AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
yeah UFC likes to do PPV only lol. I wish they'd bring back more Unleashed.

Post #13   5/31/07 3:35:11PM   

paulhauffe

Learning to Sprawl

paulhauffe Avatar

Career:312-185
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
I get the impression Pride will just be the UFC's Japanese equivelant of the WEC. I did like the way the Pride shows were put together, and also the bushido. think the UFC could benefit from having tournaments (not where fighters fight twice on the same night coz thats obviously not allowed) as im gettin a little tired of TUF!

Post #14   6/1/07 4:19:12PM   

AdamG

Learning to Sprawl

AdamG Avatar

Career:601-428
Camp: SF Fight Fans
Chips:
I don't see how Pride could have been revived as a company. They lost their TV contract and were struggling to make money. Zuffa bought the WEC simply for the contracts, and now it is a feeder org. Maybe Pride will suffer the same fate, but why not just use the fighters? I will miss Pride, the tournaments, the Japanese fans, and people getting kicked in the head while they're on the ground. I won't miss the freak fights, the announcer or the insightful commentary by Twinkle Toes.

Post #15   6/1/07 5:17:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2