Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White suggests Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey vs. 'Cyborg' Santos is close

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
to be honest this fight not happening i think is best for wmma right now. they really have no landscape to build off of, yea this could be a nice trilogy of fights between the 2 but outside that it is nothing. they need other fighters to develop otherwise once this fight happens all interest in wmma is pretty much over. this time talking about this fight is good for wmma to grow and get more contenders then hopefully the fight happens. wmma just lacks to much depth right now

Post #16   10/7/12 1:16:43AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Rousey could get the W. Gina Carano had Cyborg on her back and was landing great ground and pound in their fight. Of course, Rousey doesn't have the stand up of Carano though, or even close to Cyborg.

I don't want to see this fight in the UFC though. Strikeforce, yes. Like manak said, WMMA needs to grow more. Invicta FC is doing a great job of that right now, but it will take a couple more years before WMMA takes off in my opinion.

I used to want women's divisions in the UFC, but Invicta is doing so well I would almost prefer if they became the UFC of WMMA.

Post #17   10/7/12 4:41:46AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I actually agree man! All I can think is that this is the right fight, but just not the right time.....what would the UFC back it up with? A one time WMMA fight is just going to confuse casual fans and make the following fights in WMMA (not in the UFC) seem not as good. I want the fight to happen in Invicta before seeing it done wrongly in the UFC. Now if Divy could build it with a sexy little tourney like the did the FLW Div then I would be extremely excited. Just think of this, they start building a Rousey vs Cyborg hype train while they introduce a new fighter class! Have the tourney going on while introducing the Champoins.....then the night the tourney finales it could be the same that Rousey vs Cyborg happens, the stare down between Champ and Challenger after the interviews....could be gold!

Post #18   10/7/12 4:51:59AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I'm not reading into what Dana says so much anymore.

He also said Stephens would be fighting.

As its to early in the morning and I'm watching Sunday NFL Countdown, ill pass on naming other bullshit things Dana has said regarding people fighting each other

Post #19   10/7/12 10:46:44AM   

941_Florida_Boy

MMA Regular

941_Florida_Boy Avatar

Career:1,478-1,030
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
Ronda has everything to lose and nothing really to gain as I see it...

If Cyborg wins - it basically kills womens MMA (again)

If Ronda wins - people will still be interested in watching Ronda (#1 because it's easier on the eyes than watching Cyborg whom looks like a man imo) (#2 people will want her to fight Gina Carano which would be awesome)

I just feel like nobody wants to watch Cyborg beat up little girls anymore - she should really be fighting men at this point

Good luck to Ronda though if it does happen - she'll be fighting to keep Women's MMA alive

Post #20   10/7/12 1:18:04PM   

samelia

Learning to Sprawl

samelia Avatar

Career:227-164
Chips:

The really good women fighters are just as entertaining imo because they are more able to open up on eachother.

More able to open up? Like more able to talk about their feelings?
Sorry that was too good to resist

Post #21   10/7/12 4:07:08PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Just let Cyborg/Rousey fight on the last SF card, close the promotion, bring the talent worth while over to the UFC, let the women go to Invicta, UFC buys into Invicta to help them promote and stuff.

Win, win, for all, besides SF folding, but they don't even have a deep enough talent pool anymore to replace fights, or legit title contenders, divisions are just way to thin.

Post #22   10/8/12 1:29:09PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
In a perfect world Strikeforce and mainstream WMMA could be killed with one stone.

Post #23   10/8/12 2:03:12PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

In a perfect world Strikeforce and mainstream WMMA could be killed with one stone.

Why? We should want more promotions at a high level to compete.

Post #24   10/8/12 3:10:20PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Gogoplatapus

ya just not Strikeforce when it's owned by the elephant. Makes no sense.

Post #25   10/8/12 7:10:39PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Gogoplatapus

ya just not Strikeforce when it's owned by the elephant. Makes no sense.

Yeah got you definitely just overtake formalities. Everyone knows they were just waiting for the monopoly think to blow over in the news.

Post #26   10/8/12 11:50:48PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
Rousey vs Cyborg headlines a UFC PPV in Vegas

Post #27   10/9/12 4:34:24AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Right, get those women back in the kitchen...

Post #28   10/9/12 9:15:48PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2