Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC on FX 5 results and analysis - Browne injures knee, gets mauled by Bigfoot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Article link

MINNEAPOLIS – Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva's fists did in Travis Browne. But a bum knee certainly didn't help matters.

With his opponent injured and clearly in trouble, Silva unloaded a big overhand right that set up in a first-round TKO victory in Friday's UFC on FX 5 heavyweight headliner.

The bout took place at Minneapolis' Target Center, and it aired on FX following preliminary-card bouts on FUEL TV.

The matchup featured two heavyweights headed in different directions. Browne looked to continue his undefeated run through the pro ranks and break into the division's elite. Silva simply hoped to avoid a third straight loss and a possible contract termination.

A confident Browne struck first with kicks but settled down and regrouped when Silva's big fists quickly countered him. "Bigfoot" then pushed his opponent into the cage, which resulted in the ref issuing a warning to Browne when he reached over the cage and used the illegal move to spin out of the clinch.

Then, when stepping forward with a punch, Browne clearly injured his left leg. Sensing an opportunity, Silva went on the offensive, walked the hobbled Browne into the cage, and then unloaded a big overhand right that scored an instant knockdown. Browne fell to his knees and never recovered, and Silva unloaded punches and hammerfists to force the referee's intervention.

The stoppage came at the 3:27 mark of the first round.

===========

Man, that sounds like a wild west newspaper headline. But seriously, this card was a treat for folks who love finishes and comebacks (especially ones in the 2nd round). Onward!

Silva vs Browne - An evidently injured knee leading to a quick finish, Silva crushes Browne with a big right hand and follow-up shots midway through R1. Browne looked flashy and mobile at the start, but he looks to have tweaked his knee following an early overhand right. After that, Silva patiently waited for his opportunity, cutting off the cage to land a train of a punch that basically re-enacted Nogueira vs Schaub. On paper, this was a not the best fight for Silva, as he's struggled against more agile heavyweights who can outwork and outmaneuver him. One thing he's rarely lacked is killer instinct, and Browne's injured knee was a great big bullseye.

Ellenberger vs Hieron - A calculated standoff between 2 smart veterans, Ellenberger rides timely takedowns and a few stunning punches to a 2-1 decision. Definitely the most reserved we've seen from Ellenberger, who usually comes out looking for a headshot. He'll need to be more aggressive to get a title shot, though this may be the follow-up fight to a loss he needed. Adjustments are made, new tactics are folded in with the old strengths, and what we can see after is a more complete fighter. The most exciting thing was that athletic hop-and-sprawl by Ellenberger late in R1. I don't remember seeing TDD like that since GSP/Kos I. Perhaps a bit disappointing, overall, but it's important to note that Hieron's good enough to generally avoid being dominated without being so good as to overwhelm the best welterweights. He was active enough to keep it close, but most shots were blocked and little landed flush.

Dodson vs Formiga - A tentative start before an exciting finish, Dodson clowns Formiga with his hands late in R2. The first few minutes were anything but Dodson's finest, as he seemed tentative despite a clear striking advantage. It wasn't just his flat stance or measured movement, but his punches consistently came up short. Check the moment 2 mins into R2 - Formiga charges, and Dodson just backs away. The flyweight champ, on the other hand, looks for opportunities like that to step back, plant his feet, and redirect momentum into a straight right counter. That said, Dodson eventually loosened up, changing levels with body shots before setting up that clean punch to the face (which to his credit landed even though Formiga's hands were up) and a flurry of strikes on the ground. Dodson's earned a title shot for sure, but as I said after Johnson won the belt, the champ will likely have evolved too much to be dethroned.

Edwards vs Neer - A textbook demonstration in the efficacy of early submission attempts, Edwards puts Neer to sleep with a leaping guillotine just past the first minute of R1. Neer's one of those guys who comes in and out of the UFC - he's got the tools to be a threat, but he doesn't have the physical ability to compete with the freaks. It's too early to apply that to Edwards, but he did get it done quickly tonight. Great stoppage by Gamst - Neer's arms had gone limp, but it was hard to tell as they were pinned from the struggle.

Johnson vs Castillo - An impressive comeback on the feet, Johnson hangs tough and fights tall for a clear KO early in R2. It's okay to call Castillo a gatekeeper, because we need these guys in the business - skilled, hard-nosed, reliable, but with enough of a ceiling on their ability to properly pace a prospect. Johnson showed me more than the talent displayed in his last couple fights, and that's heart - I say this whenever I can about fighters because it's important, and it's one of the hardest things to coach. Johnson was hurt in R1, and he managed to stay alert and mobile enough to get out of a decent arm triangle (which is one of the worst submissions you can fall into against a strong wrestler). In R2, he stayed at range, using his superior reach to plant some doubt in Castillo's mind. You can see it to where Johnson doesn't land super hard early on, but it's enough to get Danny's attention - whereas Danny comes up just a bit short when trying to return fire. That first counter from Johnson was well-timed, hitting Castillo when he was off balance and more vulnerable to any kind of strike, and the follow-up punches left Castillo in a bloody zen-like state. Since they both won on the same card, I'd be okay with Johnson against Volkmann - good test for each of them, and Volkmann's repeatedly shown he should never be counted out.

Pierce vs Simpson - Another comeback through clean standup, Pierce makes Simpson pay for punching wild with a vicious KO early in R2. Pierce is one of the real puzzles in the UFC, as he hits hard, weathers storms, and saps cardio with clinch work. So why is he in so many close splits? It's easy - he usually isn't aggressive enough. He's skilled and durable enough to feel like he can take anything, so urgency isn't a priority in his gameplans. That said, he showed off that toughness and heart tonight after getting clocked and thrown around in R1. More importantly, he showed why he deserved the win tonight by capitalizing on a stunned opponent. When Simpson had Pierce rocked, he landed some more shots but not enough of them in a row to finish. On the other hand, Pierce kept his boxing tight, even during the finish - no wild winging hooks, like the one Simpson whiffed at the end. Memo to all wrestlers: open up like that only when your opponent can't hit you back, and especially not when they know how to box. Both Munoz and Simpson have recently shown the downside in windmills (if UFC-era Wanderlei wasn't enough already). But yes, this was easily Pierce's most impressive UFC fight. Whatever his coaches told him in between the rounds, he needs to hear it before the first bell. He'd be scary as hell with just a bit more aggression.

Levesseur vs Prater - Clinch work often makes for a close decision, as Levesseur edges Prater in a 3R split. I feel like Prater had the more dangerous positions, especially with the guillotine in R3, but Levesseur generally controlled the action and (more importantly) remained patient through the submission attempts. I feel he could've been more active, breaking away harder for more standup along with making Prater pay for the failed submissions, but to his credit, he was smart and relaxed the whole time. Didn't see much from either that we didn't know before, but perhaps a more interesting fight than some would call. Hey, at least it wasn't Kongo/Jordan.

Volkmann vs Roller - A grappler's delight as expected, Volkmann at last stops an opponent with a raw rear naked choke midway through R1. At this point, it's not easy to separate Volkmann the fighter from the personality - he certainly gets attention, but it's through awkwardness as opposed to the incisive wit of one Chael P. Sonnen. This is a really good win for Volkmann, however, tapping out a game and credible Roller through pressure on the jaw more than the threat of a nap. Both of these guys are late in their careers, but that doesn't mean they can't get paid and put on some good fights for a while.

Nunes vs Palaszewski - Another fun fight between two guys who get after it, Nunes finally marries his skill with confident aggression for a clear 3R decision. Nunes has shown resilience and potential in his prior fights, but he's tried to counter a bit too much while fading after the early rounds. Great win for him here, as he showed us a complete set of tools. No shame for Palaszewski - he just got beat by the better fighter tonight, but he stayed in it the entire time and actually landed some nice shots of his own.

Uyenoyama vs Harris - A fun back-and-forth fight, with Uyenoyama sinking in a rear naked choke late in R2. Nice opportunity for Darren, who was brutalized by Benavidez in his octagon debut. He was able to show off sneaky ground skills against a willing but overmatched Harris. I'd like to see other flyweights the UFC signs before making any calls for future matchups, because the pool's currently a work in progress.

Last edited 10/6/12 12:58AM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: grammar
2 total post edits

Post #1   10/5/12 10:16:40PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Browne was a gonner after his knee went out. It was just a matter of time

Post #2   10/6/12 1:13:50AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:640-344
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Browne was a gonner after his knee went out. It was just a matter of time

yeah you could see it in his eyes that he lost the will to fight. Hope this doesn't stuff up his momentum.

Post #3   10/6/12 2:41:56AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
any updates to the actual diagnosis of browns knee?

Post #4   10/6/12 2:47:13AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

I hear Greg Jackson runs a full conditioning program to get legs back up to speed so I don't believe there's much to worry about.

Post #5   10/6/12 3:05:46AM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,466-909
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
not that i personally give a shit, but isn't the news thread supposed to be spoiler free?

Post #6   10/6/12 3:10:38AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by fonduktoe

not that i personally give a shit, but isn't the news thread supposed to be spoiler free?

If I remember right, a few years ago after a bit of back and forth it was decided that once it had aired from ET through PT then it wasn't a spoiler anymore, and then it just kinda became not a spoiler once it happened (other than leaked TUF results, etc). I personally avoid the news forum if there's an event I haven't seen yet and don't know the results to because it's really no longer a spoiler once it airs imo (I know, it sucks for the minority who are not in an area where it has aired, but there's really no way around it other than mods trying to police thread titles 24/7).

Post #7   10/6/12 3:22:04AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Didn't even know about that discussion, but spoilers are a reasonable concern. I'll keep my titles neutral from here on.

Post #8   10/6/12 7:39:30AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Career:700-343
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Hamstring injury - it popped multiple times on the first kick. Bigfoot just took advantage after that. He'll be ok.

Post #9   10/6/12 9:39:14AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by tallica62

Hamstring injury - it popped multiple times on the first kick. Bigfoot just took advantage after that. He'll be ok.

A hamstring protrudes the kneecap 2 inches out?

Post #10   10/6/12 9:56:48AM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by tallica62

A hamstring protrudes the kneecap 2 inches out?

I don't know. I'm not a doctor. That's just what Travis Browne said.
I'm sure an MRI will reveal the full situation, but he blamed it on the hamstrings.

Post #11   10/6/12 10:14:48AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
Another very commendable post from isk. I for one missed all of the fights, and welcome a chance to read a very well written synopsis of the events. Sometimes I can't find a link that works to rewatch the fights,and I usually place money so I am always checking on winners, but wiki doesn't provide an in depth discription like this. Well met good sir.
My only remaining question: was browne injured before the fight, did he go the route of cote vs silva, or did bigfoot cause this injury?

Post #12   10/6/12 11:58:42AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Another very commendable post from isk. I for one missed all of the fights, and welcome a chance to read a very well written synopsis of the events. Sometimes I can't find a link that works to rewatch the fights,and I usually place money so I am always checking on winners, but wiki doesn't provide an in depth discription like this. Well met good sir.
My only remaining question: was browne injured before the fight, did he go the route of cote vs silva, or did bigfoot cause this injury?

It was not injured prefight. Browne started doing a bunch of spining and jumping kicks and messed up his own knee on the land. Guessing next time he'll stick with the good old 1 2.

Last edited 10/6/12 12:04PM server time by ghandikush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/6/12 12:03:35PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:999-575
Chips:
Ah I see, thanks. Yes if I was to think of flashy kicks browne would probably be near the bottom of the list...maybe a few ranks above big country.

Post #14   10/6/12 12:26:22PM   

DancingDoll

In Full Cowgirl

DancingDoll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Ah I see, thanks. Yes if I was to think of flashy kicks browne would probably be near the bottom of the list...maybe a few ranks above big country.

It was stuff like this (impressive for a heavyweight):

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #15   10/6/12 12:45:37PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2