Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Important poll, please vote! Want to see other orgs featured?

Print  
Would you like to see fights from other MMA organizations (IFL for example) on the site for season 2?
Yes 148 53%
No 131 47%
  Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I would like to see some of the major fights on other cards covered. Fedor/Lindlund Saku/Royce Trigg/Lawler. Things of that nature.

I don't really want to see the undercards covered however and definately don't want to see our season get crowded with IFL events. Maybe the Superfights, but even then I don't think we should be encouraging any more Smith/Ruas fights lol.

Post #16   5/31/07 4:36:00AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

i guess the 2 logical choices stateside are WEC and IFL, but i dont know that those are available to the people in other countries which wouldnt be fair to those living elsewhere. im for it, but only if the guys in the UK, Canada, and elsewhere in Europe and Asia have access to them. sorry if i left anywhere out of this but i cant remember seeing anyone from south america, africa, or australia on here.

We get IFL a little while after it shows.

IMO IFL definitly. And maybe a bet on which team wins.

I also think someother big promotions could be added as a 3rd line
Elite XC, Cage Rage,TKO, and Strikeforce come to mind.

I dont think KOTC should be on here jsut for the sheer # of events it has.

Hero's is clearly a big one.

Post #17   5/31/07 1:02:08PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

If they stop doing Pride, I think you should definitely start with another org, but like cowcatcher said, it should be an org everyone can watch. As of right now, I think the best bet would be the Elite XC/Strikeforce/K-1 alliance.

An idea I had which kind of fits in here is having "bonus" fights that don't count as an event themselves, but would be available for wagering fantasy $ on. A lot of people want to put fantasy $ on Baroni-Shamrock for instance, so why not make it an available fight to bet on, but not have it count for points? This would be cool for the big IFL fights as well, like Mo Smith vs. Ruas for example.

I agree

Post #18   5/31/07 1:49:54PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I think we should tick to Pride and UFC, at least as long as Pride remains functional.

Using IFL or other smaller Orgs puts non-US users like myself on the back foot, as it is hard for us to keep up with the smaller orgs and research the fighters involved, leaving our picks more down to guesswork and disadvantaging us.

Post #19   5/31/07 2:03:29PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2
Using IFL or other smaller Orgs puts non-US users like myself on the back foot, as it is hard for us to keep up with the smaller orgs and research the fighters involved, leaving our picks more down to guesswork and disadvantaging us.

Yeah. its not like we have a open portal to knowledge. Oh wait, we do, and I'm mocking you through it.

Post #20   5/31/07 3:47:56PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I like the idea of two "divisions", although I don't know how much more work that would be for the site admins.

Division 1: The UFC and Pride, if it remains top-notch. It looks more and more likely that Pride will sink to the 2nd tier of MMA. If it's revived to its former glory, it should remain in "Division 1."

Division 2: The IFL, BodogFight, WEC, and Pride, if all of their top guys go to the UFC. EliteXC and K-1 are airing on Showtime, which makes it even less accessible for most people than pay-per-view. If it were up to me, the qualification would be the availability of broadcasts. The IFL, BodogFight, the WEC and Pride all have weekly shows, and occasional full cards, on free television (as does the UFC), so it's relatively easy to see their guys. Of course, that's a friggin' lot of MMA.

With these two divisions, the folks who don't want to be hardcore about it aren't forced to be.

p.s. If prizes are going to be awarded at the seasons, the prize for Division 1 should be substantially greater. I wouldn't cry if there were no prize for the "Division 2" organizations, beyond bragging rights. Maybe award the winner the title of "MMA Major Domo" and a free "Premium-Plus" membership. Or something.

Last edited 6/1/07 12:19PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #21   6/1/07 12:14:24PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:
I would like to see K-1 , elite , bodog on here .

Any event that has Fedor has to be featured .

Post #22   6/1/07 9:36:51PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

I like the idea of two "divisions", although I don't know how much more work that would be for the site admins.

Division 1: The UFC and Pride, if it remains top-notch. It looks more and more likely that Pride will sink to the 2nd tier of MMA. If it's revived to its former glory, it should remain in "Division 1."

Division 2: The IFL, BodogFight, WEC, and Pride, if all of their top guys go to the UFC. EliteXC and K-1 are airing on Showtime, which makes it even less accessible for most people than pay-per-view. If it were up to me, the qualification would be the availability of broadcasts. The IFL, BodogFight, the WEC and Pride all have weekly shows, and occasional full cards, on free television (as does the UFC), so it's relatively easy to see their guys. Of course, that's a friggin' lot of MMA.

With these two divisions, the folks who don't want to be hardcore about it aren't forced to be.

p.s. If prizes are going to be awarded at the seasons, the prize for Division 1 should be substantially greater. I wouldn't cry if there were no prize for the "Division 2" organizations, beyond bragging rights. Maybe award the winner the title of "MMA Major Domo" and a free "Premium-Plus" membership. Or something.

?? Isnt Showtime cheaper than a 40 $ ppv ?

Post #23   6/1/07 9:38:09PM   

u_f_c

Learning to Sprawl

u_f_c Avatar

Career:155-97
Camp: Team UFC
Chips:
There are a couple of oraganizations i wouldnt mind choosing fights from... but some i would prolly have no clue on what to pick, which would make the season leaders have very little points and it would make it more difficult to actually discuss with ur teams about ur picks if they dont know the fighters either.

Post #24   6/1/07 10:10:25PM   

xthe_scottx

In Full Mount

Career:342-173
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

Isnt Showtime cheaper than a 40 $ ppv ?

You can always go to a bar to watch a UFC PPV or watch with a group and all split the $40. You can't do that with showtime.

Post #25   6/2/07 2:58:07PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
It's not really a matter of who's a bigger fan, kaduey, it's just about who has access to more information. Personally I try to find as many k-1/shooto/bodog/ifl fights as I can on the internet, but youtube usually only has the most popular fights in the secondary leagues, and full events are virtually non-existant (with the exception of a handful of K1/IFL events.) While I am a big enough fan and enjoy MMA enough to follow all of these leagues, it just isn't possible because I don't have the access to them that I have to the mainstream leagues, and neither do a lot of other people who don't live in the US. I have a good 300GB of MMA events on my computer... every UFC event, 90% of PRIDE events, and a smattering of bodog/k1/IFL. I would have the complete k1, bodog, IFL, Shooto, WEC, pancrase, BRI, ICON, etc. etc. collections if I had access to them but I just don't. Even getting as many PRIDE events as I did was difficult because it really never hit mainstream...

That being said I like svartorm's idea... and if you are going to add another league it should probably be k-1 heroes or possibly IFL as I believe they are the most accessible of the secondary orgs.

Post #26   6/4/07 3:53:08PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,518
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I like Svatorm's idea of having the superfights of other orgs available to bet, but not count for season points.

Post #27   6/5/07 12:40:22PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I had to say no. Like has been said it makes it hard for everyone on the site to be able to get all events. Harder research means more guessing. And there are games that do that, I've always appreciated that I know the most about this one. I'm more active here than the others cuz I don't have to guess much.

Post #28   6/5/07 3:03:07PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
No ifl, but put cage rage and k1 hero's on the list.

Post #29   6/5/07 4:41:49PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
i dont have time to keep up with just these events

Post #30   6/6/07 2:48:43AM   

Page 2 of 7     1     2     3     4     5   >>