Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva: No Jon Jones fight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
GSP is still a way bigger draw then jones, yes seeing jones/andy would be awesome but gsp/andy would make way more money and be a bigger draw.

but money talks and jones/andy could eventually happen, i mean not to along ago rashad and jones were buddy buddy plus andy tends to get butt hurt real quick so jones and andy's relationship could get sour fast.

im not gonna get my hopes up but if either fight happens ill watch both

Post #16   10/5/12 1:38:09AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:518-379
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Anderson Silva is the most dominant champ in UFC history. He's got no reason to test himself against the next....well him....Whats does Silva have to gain by fighting Jones? Sure if he beats him it cements him as the greatest fighter ever but what if loses? Let the guy ride his legacy out til Jones hits the 15-0 record as a title defender. I don't understand the hate personally. It's not like a lot of guys (outside of chael) are out to fight Jones these days.

P.s. I should've read all of your post before I posted but the bud light "that's bud light because coors light won't pay me any money" is probably talking to me.

Last edited 10/5/12 2:12AM server time by jlock003
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   10/5/12 2:11:05AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

then explain the hypocrisy that he would fight GSP but not Jones.

I'm not sure I see any hypocrisy.

I will explain why I think he wants to fight GSP and not Jon Jones. It's easy really.

GSP is much closer to his size. Jon Jones is much bigger than him. GSP has held the title for much longer than Jones and has a bigger legacy.

I didn't know 5'10 was closer to 6'2 then 6'2 is to 6'4. Good to know.

considering anderson looks stocky at 205 i would say jones is closer

Post #18   10/5/12 3:22:38AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Anderson is taking criticism because he appears to be attempting to hand-pick his fights and is avoiding opponents who might actually beat him or even provide a challenge to him

The reason GSP isn't facing the same criticism is because he's staying in his weight class to fight several title contenders that have popped up while he was recovering from Surgery.

Anderson isn't just avoiding Jones, he's also avoiding the only legitimate threat in his division.

If GSP was refusing to fight Anderson but was going up in weight for a fight with someone like Ed Herman he would rightfully receive the same criticism.

Post #19   10/5/12 3:33:19AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,694-1,543
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by BelXavier420

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

I will explain why I think he wants to fight GSP and not Jon Jones. It's easy really.

GSP is much closer to his size. Jon Jones is much bigger than him. GSP has held the title for much longer than Jones and has a bigger legacy.

I think Silva is way closer to Jones than GSP size wise. Both height and weight.

Post #20   10/5/12 8:40:25AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Also, where are you getting your facts about more people wanting Jones vs Silva than GSP vs Silva?? I'd be interested to see your polling data. I would expect that GSP is still better known by the casual fans and considered a bigger star than Jon Jones.

Now let me ask you about some hypocrisy.

Why are you hating on Silva for saying that he doesn't want to fight Jon Jones but you aren't hating on GSP for not wanting to fight Silva??

Better yet, why aren't you hating on Jon Jones for not wanting to fight Silva?

By your logic:

GSP is scared of Anderson.
Jon Jones is scared of Anderson.
Anderson is scared of Jon Jones.

If all those things were true then these guys should probably find another profession. It seems more likely to me that they aren't scared, rather they are resisting pressures by fans and Dana White to take fights that aren't good for their careers.

I wanted GSP to fight Silva a couple years ago when both fighters had no new contenders and was a little annoyed that neither he or Silva wanted the fight at the time. Now GSP is coming off ~18 months from a blown ACL and coincidentally now Silva is all gung-ho about fighting him. Silva is making his THIRD fight at 205...Georges has ZERO at 185. Silva looked fairly close to Griffin in size in their fight and we know Griffin is one of the bigger LHW. I'm sure we will see it again when he fights Bonnar. I want to see GSP fight at least twice, unless he steamrolls through Condit, before saying he is back and hop back on the GSP vs Silva wagon...which would put this potential fight around this time next year. GSP also has a new line of contenders (Kampmann/Hendricks winner, Diaz, Erick Silva in a couple wins, Rory if they do fight) that were not there a year and a half ago. Silva has Weidman/Boetsch winner and potentially Bisping or Belcher after that. I say if they both win their next fight and the one after vs the #1 contender, then make them fight.

Since GSP's last fight, Jones has almost walked through: Rampage, Machida, Evans and Belfort. Casual fans generally don't have a long memory and Jones is right at the forefront. A quick poll on the PG is heavily favouring Jones/Silva over GSP/Silva. Yes GSP is a well known name and that fight will sell more, but right now there are too many questions around his knee.

I'm not going to say scared, but they are/were avoiding the fight for divisional legacy. The hypocrisy is that the reasons he turned down the Jones fight are the opposite to what he said when Weidman was offered and the same size excuse to why GSP would potentially "have no chance"

Last edited 10/5/12 9:48AM server time by bubbles
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #21   10/5/12 9:18:05AM   

NE-1

MMA Regular

NE-1 Avatar

Career:1,332-913
Camp: GSPeed on your face
Chips:
I have no problem with what Silva said. He's 37, on the decline, and has cemented himself as probably the greatest fighter of all time (at least at this point).

Fighters are always criticized for not being intelligent and knowing when to hang it up. I think Silva has done enough to walk away now, but he intends to coast on out. Better to go out champion of the MW division undefeated in the UFC than to have a screwed up Liddell, Shamrock, Hopkins, or Roy Jones scenario.

I don't need to see Silva at 38 or 39 whenever the damn fight would happen, lose to Jones, which is by all accounts what I would expect to happen at that point.

I am content with what he's contributed; some of the most fluid and advanced striking we've ever seen, domination of fighters at 2 different weight classes, a record number of belt defenses, one of the greatest come from behind upsets, and an undefeated UFC record. I am probably missing a few here too.

That'll do pig, that'll do.

Post #22   10/5/12 10:00:39AM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,419-820
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I like seeing a dominant champ get fed a can every once in a while. Who didn't like to watch Overeem fight in Dream?

Post #23   10/5/12 11:43:24AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by BelXavier420

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

I think Silva is way closer to Jones than GSP size wise. Both height and weight.

I'm actually agreeing with you.

Post #24   10/5/12 3:02:15PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BelXavier420

Posted by bjj1605

I didn't know that height was how we judged size in combat sports.

I always thought we had weight classes, not height classes.

I guess I've been wrong all these years. Thanks for educating me.

Post #25   10/5/12 4:53:48PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

I wanted GSP to fight Silva a couple years ago when both fighters had no new contenders and was a little annoyed that neither he or Silva wanted the fight at the time. Now GSP is coming off ~18 months from a blown ACL and coincidentally now Silva is all gung-ho about fighting him. Silva is making his THIRD fight at 205...Georges has ZERO at 185. Silva looked fairly close to Griffin in size in their fight and we know Griffin is one of the bigger LHW. I'm sure we will see it again when he fights Bonnar. I want to see GSP fight at least twice, unless he steamrolls through Condit, before saying he is back and hop back on the GSP vs Silva wagon...which would put this potential fight around this time next year. GSP also has a new line of contenders (Kampmann/Hendricks winner, Diaz, Erick Silva in a couple wins, Rory if they do fight) that were not there a year and a half ago. Silva has Weidman/Boetsch winner and potentially Bisping or Belcher after that. I say if they both win their next fight and the one after vs the #1 contender, then make them fight.

Since GSP's last fight, Jones has almost walked through: Rampage, Machida, Evans and Belfort. Casual fans generally don't have a long memory and Jones is right at the forefront. A quick poll on the PG is heavily favouring Jones/Silva over GSP/Silva. Yes GSP is a well known name and that fight will sell more, but right now there are too many questions around his knee.

I'm not going to say scared, but they are/were avoiding the fight for divisional legacy. The hypocrisy is that the reasons he turned down the Jones fight are the opposite to what he said when Weidman was offered and the same size excuse to why GSP would potentially "have no chance"

1.) Anderson wouldn't be fighting GSP directly after a lay off. He would only fight him if GSP beat Condit. So he would be fighting him on a full training camp after a successful title defense.

2) Anderson Silva has also fought at WW in the past. GSP is HUGE for a WW and cuts about 25lbs.

3) The hypocrisy I'm talking about is YOUR hypocrisy. You hate on Silva but remain silent on Jones and GSP. Neither one of those guys wants to fight Anderson. So they should both be heavily criticized and accused of being scared.

Post #26   10/5/12 5:02:30PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

1.) Anderson wouldn't be fighting GSP directly after a lay off. He would only fight him if GSP beat Condit. So he would be fighting him on a full training camp after a successful title defense.

2) Anderson Silva has also fought at WW in the past. GSP is HUGE for a WW and cuts about 25lbs.

3) The hypocrisy I'm talking about is YOUR hypocrisy. You hate on Silva but remain silent on Jones and GSP. Neither one of those guys wants to fight Anderson. So they should both be heavily criticized and accused of being scared.

I hang on all blackhouse nuts cept lil nog broham, anderson is my number 2 man....

1- Youre right

2- Anderson has far outgrown WW and shown that he could equal forrests size at LHW anf forrest is a HUGE LHW since he fought in the UFC

3- Anderson is most definitely ducking Jones just like he did Shogun (when he held 205 title) Chael and Weidman... he's scared of noone but he knows he wants to fight on in his career and he doesnt want to take unnecessary risks.

Taking on s stylitically bad fight like Shogun, Jones, and Weidman makes no sense. I have a feeling he is waiting for Weidman to lose so he wont have to fight him.

Post #27   10/5/12 5:41:51PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

1) the timing would be ok but he would have to perform extremely well after an 18 month layoff for me to want this fight

2) GSP is not "huge" for WW. He hasn't been the bigger fighter in some of his more recent fights. On the other hand, Anderson IS HUGE for MW seeing as how comfortably he has looked thus far at 205. Silva hasn't fought at WW in like a decade, so that argument is void. He has gotten much bigger than when he last fought at WW

3) I am not going to rip on GSP right now for not wanting the fight. Like I have said numerous times, he hasnt fought in ~18 months and has a title defense lined up. If he looks great in a dominating win then sure set them up, otherwise it is all speculation how he will fight in a month. If he refuses to fight after said great performance then yes I will be a little upset. But at the same time he isn't saying he won't fight Silva but would want to fight Ben Henderson at a catchweight.

I don't remember if I said anything about Jones in that news thread a while back, but he does deserve some flak for not wanting the fight. I've ripped into him for many things lately that this just doesn't seem as important.

It also has to do with their reasoning. If they make some lame ass excuse like what Silva just gave us, I will say something. Also, during tonights presser, Dana said he hasn't talked to either GSP or Anderson about the fight and is going to wait until both of their fights are over.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #28   10/5/12 11:28:05PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

2) GSP is not "huge" for WW.

3) I am not going to rip on GSP right now for not wanting the fight.

2) Yes he is. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think a guy that walks around 25-30lbs heavier than his weight class (especially at the lower weights) can be considered huge.

3) GSP has never wanted the fight and has been very vocal about not wanting it. He didn't just say "I don't want it right now." He doesn't want it period. So if you give him a pass then you're being hypocritical.

Jon Jones also doesn't want to fight Anderson. Both guys would be taking an unnecessary risk by fighting someone out of their weight class. As a fan i want to see it, but I understand their reasons.

Post #29   10/5/12 11:46:21PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

2) GSP is not "huge" for WW.

3) I am not going to rip on GSP right now for not wanting the fight.

2) Yes he is. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think a guy that walks around 25-30lbs heavier than his weight class (especially at the lower weights) can be considered huge.

3) GSP has never wanted the fight and has been very vocal about not wanting it. He didn't just say "I don't want it right now." He doesn't want it period. So if you give him a pass then you're being hypocritical.

Jon Jones also doesn't want to fight Anderson. Both guys would be taking an unnecessary risk by fighting someone out of their weight class. As a fan i want to see it, but I understand their reasons.

I gave him a pass before because there were new challengers and he hadn't set any WW record yet, unlike Silva who has been adding to his with every fight. IIRC GSP is 1 title defense away from tying Hughes' mark. Breaking that record is a more valid reason than "I want to defend my title....but not against the #1 contender Chris Weidman"

Post #30   10/5/12 11:56:31PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3