Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The MMA Education of Brock Lesnar

Print  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Using the antiquated body mass index provided by our good friends in Washington D.C., we can make absolutely certain of one fact: Brock Lesnar (Pictures) is a morbidly obese individual.

LINK

Post #1   5/30/07 8:39:03AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
People who work out aren't to take a BMI Index test without it being inaccurate due to muscle weighing more than fat!

Post #2   5/30/07 9:07:46AM   

Johanthon_Harvel

Learning to Sprawl

Johanthon_Harvel Avatar

Career:456-378
Camp: Subfighter.com
Chips:
I wish MMA would stop talking shit about pro wrestlers. I think because of the fact that he was in the WWE his cardio and toughness factors are among the top in either buisness.

All in all though he could work on getting a little lighter....if he can. It would definatly Help his chances of getting into one of the better orgs.

Post #3   5/30/07 11:03:13AM   

CaseyKrajenka

MMA Regular

CaseyKrajenka Avatar

Career:20-12
Chips:

Posted by Johanthon_Harvel

I wish MMA would stop talking shit about pro wrestlers. I think because of the fact that he was in the WWE his cardio and toughness factors are among the top in either buisness.

All in all though he could work on getting a little lighter....if he can. It would definatly Help his chances of getting into one of the better orgs.

I don't believe they are, as you said it, "talking shit" about pro wrestlers. They are just saying that he needs some work if he wishes to be a serious competitor in MMA, and I totally agree with them. This sport isn't some game you can just show up for, thinking you know how to play. It's going to take years of dedication.

I'm sure he probably does have good cardio from his years as a wrestler, but I am not so sure about his toughness. We will just have to wait and see. I am actually excited to see him in action.

Post #4   5/30/07 11:16:54AM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
Wrestling is a very tough sport. You get slammed and hurt all the time! I know a couple of wrestlers who are in and out of injuries all the time. It's definitely a painful sport and probably more dangerous than MMA. One false move and you can really hurt yourself doing top rope moves or any moves really.

Post #5   5/30/07 11:25:59AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
people get hurt in the ballet all the time, that doesn't mean its at the same level as a combat sport. Pain and injuries do not make pro wrestling a sport. It is an athletic skill, but to say it is a competition is a stretch. I know wrestlers and in fact have participated in some wrestling. I was kicked if the face. It hurt a little, but I can imagine it would have hurt more if he were kicking through my head. I don't care how intense the match is, if the outcome is predetermined then it is not a sport. I guess you could say the same thing for some boxing matches.

BMI has the explicate caveat that it is not accurate for high level athletes and unusual body types

Post #6   5/30/07 12:08:44PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:

Posted by Leland

People who work out aren't to take a BMI Index test without it being inaccurate due to muscle weighing more than fat!

Oh yes. A pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat.

Suck it, physics!

Post #7   5/30/07 2:31:45PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
if you have a 200 lb man with high fat percentage, and a 200lb man with low fat and muscle, you can see why a BMI test would be inaccurate. a 200lb man with low % of fat can be considered fat on a BMI test even though they are in good shape.

Post #8   5/30/07 2:58:18PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
I think what you mean to say it fat is less dense then muscle. The BMI doesn’t work for some people, but it is a good indicator for people average height and typical fitness level. The BMI scale starts to break down at low levels of body fat. Just the same way the theory of relativity breaks down at the atomic particle level. In general, the BMI is a good indicator. If you try to argue with me and say that it isn’t then I will just call you fat and disregard you opinions.

Post #9   5/30/07 3:22:28PM   

NME

MMA Regular

NME Avatar

Career:513-264
Camp: The F4W EMPIRE~!
Chips:
Well, that old wives tale is a pet peeve of mine.

But mostly I just wanted to say "suck it, physics." It amused me.

Post #10   5/30/07 3:53:49PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:
I dont think its a wives tale. It's a proven fact. I have low fat percentage and alot of muscle from working out and it says im in the fat range, even though I don't look fat at all.

Last edited 5/31/07 3:37PM server time by leland
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   5/31/07 3:37:26PM   

CincySaint

MMA Regular

CincySaint Avatar

Career:93-48
Chips:

Posted by CaseyKrajenka

Posted by Johanthon_Harvel

I don't believe they are, as you said it, "talking shit" about pro wrestlers. They are just saying that he needs some work if he wishes to be a serious competitor in MMA, and I totally agree with them. This sport isn't some game you can just show up for, thinking you know how to play. It's going to take years of dedication.

I'm sure he probably does have good cardio from his years as a wrestler, but I am not so sure about his toughness. We will just have to wait and see. I am actually excited to see him in action.

I disagree that that article wasn't talking crap about Pro Wrstling, because it most definitely was. And if you don't think pro wrestlers are tough, you are just not grasping Pro Wrestling. I would in no way say Pro Wrestlers are "athletes", but they are some of the most "in-shape" and toughest men/women around. No they dont really get pile driven to the mat, but they do get beat on, thrown to the concrete, hit with steel chairs, and sustain major injuries. Triple H tore his quad and finished a match, and there are countless other stories. Brock Lesnar himself failed a inverted shooting star, landing directly on his neck, and finished the match. So yeah, Pro Wrestling is Entertainment, no doubt, and MMA is the ultimate in individual athletics. So I don't want to seem like I am putting Pro Wrestling on a pedastool, but give them at least the credit for being some tough SOBs...

Post #12   5/31/07 5:02:35PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CincySaint

I disagree that that article wasn't talking crap about Pro Wrstling, because it most definitely was. And if you don't think pro wrestlers are tough, you are just not grasping Pro Wrestling. I would in no way say Pro Wrestlers are "athletes", but they are some of the most "in-shape" and toughest men/women around. No they dont really get pile driven to the mat, but they do get beat on, thrown to the concrete, hit with steel chairs, and sustain major injuries. Triple H tore his quad and finished a match, and there are countless other stories. Brock Lesnar himself failed a inverted shooting star, landing directly on his neck, and finished the match. So yeah, Pro Wrestling is Entertainment, no doubt, and MMA is the ultimate in individual athletics. So I don't want to seem like I am putting Pro Wrestling on a pedastool, but give them at least the credit for being some tough SOBs...

I totally agree. For a short time a couple years ago I was involved in amateur wrestling in my town working shows at flea markets and fairs. It is very dangerous and the possibility for injury is very high, especially with inexperienced wrestlers. I was luckily never injured. Your body takes a hell of a beating though.

Post #13   6/1/07 12:46:40PM   

-Virus-

MMA Regular

-Virus- Avatar

Career:90-56
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
never tried it and never will, but you do have to be in shape fo sho

Post #14   6/2/07 4:28:31PM   

Johanthon_Harvel

Learning to Sprawl

Johanthon_Harvel Avatar

Career:456-378
Camp: Subfighter.com
Chips:
Well it is looking like Brock may be going back to pro wresting. He has been having talks with TNA about getting in with them. I kinda was hoping he would stay in MMA.

Post #15   8/19/07 11:14:59AM