Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rashad Evans: "They Offered Me Glover Teixeira, I Said "No

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,351-1,264
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't blame Rashad, especially if he wasn't close to being at the proper weight. The odds were stacked against him, and he probably chose wisely.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #16   10/1/12 10:05:44AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,844-967
Chips:
I think all of this 'people are scared to fight him' talk is ridiculous personally. 3 weeks notice? There is absolutely nothing wrong with declining a fight offered with only a few weeks notice. fighters need to train, with the standard training camp these days tending to be around at 6-8 weeks. If there is a dude, training for a fight, then you get called in on short notice, you're gonna have less time to train and be at a disadvantage.

Why would it be 'fear' to do that? People should have the same notice, and if they don't, it is kind of unfair. I think it is cool when people do step up, but it definitely isn't bad or in any way wrong to not accept a short notice fight. These people are athletes, and their livelihood is mixed martial arts. Why risk that for no good reason?

Post #17   10/1/12 10:17:30AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I hope all you Shogun haters are taking note that he's not the only LHW that turns down matchups

That was understood when Jones turned down Sonnen and Lyoto turned down Jones......

Post #18   10/1/12 10:34:17AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Chips:
I agree with $20.

We shouldn't EXPECT guys to step up on short notice.

These are professional athletes with careers, money, and reputation on the line. If they want to be prepared when they fight then they have the right to demand a proper training camp.

It is a TREAT when guys do step up. I will always love guys like Chuck Liddell (and yes, even Chael Sonnen) because of their "fight anyone, anywhere, anytime" attitude. But we shouldn't expect everyone to be like that.

It's unprofessional for Dana to expect his guys to take short notice fights whenever he needs it.

Unless he implements some type of formal replacement system, he's going to keep getting screwed over by injuries.

Post #19   10/1/12 10:46:45AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,546-914
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Teixeira is not as scary as he's getting credit for.

This.

But he is still dangerous, so I can see why guys like Evans, Shogun, Bonnar have avoided him: risk vs reward.

He's not as scary as he's being made to seem, but he's certainly not one to be crushed like so many cans, imo.

Last edited 10/1/12 10:58AM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   10/1/12 10:57:36AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,126-652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Very well said BJJ, but already propped you today.

He can call it ducking or being scared, people with real lives call this job security and wise investing. It's a long way down when you lose to an up and comer in a position such as Rashads, especially on short notice. He has a career and a life of his own to worry about, and pleasing Dana is not necessarily in your best interests when he is always ready to throw people under the bus.

Post #21   10/1/12 10:59:16AM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,364-1,587
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

I think you are dreadfully wrong here. I have been a fan of his for about 8 years now. He is a monster and nobody in their right mind would take a fight with him on short notice. Hell, half these guys probably don't want to fight him period. Keep your eye on him because he may go right to the top. I am not sure what you are basing your comment on but in my eyes they are way off base.

Post #22   10/1/12 11:23:14AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:938-531
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So Rashad gets a pass again from an Uncle Dana bashing yet again, 1st was his Penn State comments to Phil Davis, now since Dana is publicly talking shit about his fighters turning down fights, Shad gets a pass here also.

Post #23   10/1/12 11:47:51AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,573-965
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Probably the scariest thing about him is that he's unknown to most UFC fans.

I can see why Shogun or Rashad doesn't want to fight a guy who won't further their career and might harm it.

Post #24   10/1/12 1:53:23PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The suspense for Glover's next fight is building and he hasn't even had to do or say anything!

Post #25   10/1/12 2:18:20PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by ghandikush

I think you are dreadfully wrong here. I have been a fan of his for about 8 years now. He is a monster and nobody in their right mind would take a fight with him on short notice. Hell, half these guys probably don't want to fight him period. Keep your eye on him because he may go right to the top. I am not sure what you are basing your comment on but in my eyes they are way off base.

No, I mean the guys a danger for sure, but the short notice stuff is different from saying guys are legit ducking. He hasnt impressed against a dynamic guy yet, let alone a killer like Henderson.

Post #26   10/1/12 2:20:47PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,977-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Isn't Glover already scheduled to fight Fabio Maldonado anyway???

Post #27   10/1/12 4:08:24PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by Chieftan1997

Isn't Glover already scheduled to fight Fabio Maldonado anyway???

Evans was offered the fight before Fabio. He turned it down and Dana and Joe had to look elsewhere

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #28   10/1/12 4:26:06PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2