Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Stefan Struve vs Jon Jones

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NaturalBornKiller92

MMA Regular

NaturalBornKiller92 Avatar

Career:131-89
Chips:
My buddy and I were just discussing it. I think this would be very intriguing and I would argue that this should be Jones first matchup at heavyweight if and when he goes up in a couple years

Post #1   9/30/12 3:42:18PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
meh. There's no reach advantage at all for Struve- Jones' reach is 84". Struve does a terrible job of negotiating distance; dispite his long frame. He gets hit on the chin every time someone gets inside on him. I really don't see the intrigue at all. I think Jones would roll over Struve now, regardless of the size difference.

Struve get's marginally better offensively everytime out. But he's never shown any improvements to the obvious flaws in his defense.

I'd take Jones over all but maybe the top 3-4 HW's in the world right now.

Post #2   9/30/12 4:54:30PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Seriously doubt Jones ever becomes a serious contender at Heavyweight other than an occasional dabble

Post #3   9/30/12 4:58:03PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

meh. There's no reach advantage at all for Struve- Jones' reach is 84". Struve does a terrible job of negotiating distance; dispite his long frame. He gets hit on the chin every time someone gets inside on him. I really don't see the intrigue at all. I think Jones would roll over Struve now, regardless of the size difference.

Struve get's marginally better offensively everytime out. But he's never shown any improvements to the obvious flaws in his defense.

The only intrigue for me would be that Struve is extremely active from guard and that is where Jones does most of his damage. Jon has rocked people on the feet with elbows but for the most part he is not a power striker in the sense that usually catches Struve so It would almost be a sure thing that it goes to the ground and Struve is dangerous down there with those long legs. It would just be interesting to see Jon fight someone that he doesn't have a massive size advantage against.

Post #4   9/30/12 5:32:30PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Hopefully if struve has a armbar on him he will just snap it and not ease off like Belfort

Post #5   9/30/12 6:22:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Jones would murder Struve.

Standing, there is no reach advantage either way (which is the only thing that keeps Struve alive in most of his fights because of his terrible defense.) Jones is a much better striker when it comes to technique.

I guess I could see Struve catching Jon with a submission from the bottom (Stuve has those long ass legs) but I think that Jon's athleticism and posture would keep him out of trouble there as well.

Post #6   9/30/12 6:55:01PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If Struve sharpend his stand up, I'd give him a better shot. He would probably still have a good shot on the ground.

Would like to see Struve use his height and reach more and use more kicks.

Post #7   9/30/12 7:12:17PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
yea, struve fights pretty short for a super tall dude. i think jones would get him with takedown or trip and probably sub him out. i could see them fighting though.

Post #8   9/30/12 8:00:19PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Standing, there is no reach advantage either way (which is the only thing that keeps Struve alive in most of his fights because of his terrible defense.) Jones is a much better striker when it comes to technique.

I guess I could see Struve catching Jon with a submission from the bottom (Stuve has those long ass legs) but I think that Jon's athleticism and posture would keep him out of trouble there as well.

I disagree. Jones' striking isn't very technical and is effective because of his massive reach. Struve will use his jab and uppercut to batter Jones' face. Jones' spinning elbows and single shots and kicks wont be nearly as effective against a fighter taller than him. And if this fight goes to the ground, Struve has a very good chance at subbing him.

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   9/30/12 8:06:13PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Jones would never take that risk. It's one hell of a fight but I would expect Jones' first fight to be a Hunt or Werdum, something like that.

Post #10   9/30/12 9:18:00PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think the easiest way to see how Jones deals with a lanky striker is to match him up with A. Silva at LHW, which I know is nearly impossible with the fighters never being willing to fight someone who may actually have a shot at defeating them. If Silva vs Jones Superfight can't be made then match him up with Gustaffson.

Post #11   9/30/12 9:26:34PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Struve said in interview hes working on establishing distance with his reach...hes doing a poor job as of right now...

Post #12   9/30/12 10:23:00PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

I disagree. Jones' striking isn't very technical and is effective because of his massive reach. Struve will use his jab and uppercut to batter Jones' face. Jones' spinning elbows and single shots and kicks wont be nearly as effective against a fighter taller than him. And if this fight goes to the ground, Struve has a very good chance at subbing him.

I agree with all this except subbing Jones....Its really quite hard to sub somoene unless they are rocked or their name is Pat Barry....Jones I think can easily I mean easily take Struve down with his athleticism and work some ground and pound that Struve has never seen.....Theres no way Struves BJJ is better than Shogun or Vitors but its good against guys who dont know anything...I seriously doubt this fight happens though for at leaast 3 to 5 years...

I just dont see Jon Jones trying to box with Struve at all...Greg Jackson wont allow it...

Post #13   9/30/12 10:27:36PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher
I agree with all this except subbing Jones....Its really quite hard to sub somoene unless they are rocked or their name is Pat Barry....Jones I think can easily I mean easily take Struve down with his athleticism and work some ground and pound that Struve has never seen.....Theres no way Struves BJJ is better than Shogun or Vitors but its good against guys who dont know anything...I seriously doubt this fight happens though for at leaast 3 to 5 years...

I just dont see Jon Jones trying to box with Struve at all...Greg Jackson wont allow it...

Belfort and Shogun do have better jitz, but Struve has those incredibly long legs to snap on a triangle or use the butterfly guard more effectively. I don't doubt Jones can take him down, but it's a different game sitting in Struve's guard vs Belfort's or Shogun's

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   9/30/12 11:40:32PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think the easiest way to see how Jones deals with a lanky striker is to match him up with A. Silva at LHW, which I know is nearly impossible with the fighters never being willing to fight someone who may actually have a shot at defeating them. If Silva vs Jones Superfight can't be made then match him up with Gustaffson.

But Silva is so willing to fight GSP...oh thats because of his size advantage but of course he doesnt want a Jon Jones....I just dont see Silva taking any fight that threatens him...I hope IM wrong....Weidman said he woulda fought him at 205...

BUt Bonnar is the bigger draw....I wish people would boycott buying that fight and make a statement to Silva and his management....they shouldnt be able to dictate the fights....

Post #15   9/30/12 11:52:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2