Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC boss White confirms Matt Mitrione turned down Strikeforce fight with Daniel Cormier

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by Budgellism

Mitrione isn't ready for that imo

he's 34 years of age, if he aint ready for it now then he will never be ready. time is ticking.

He's also 5-1 with his biggest win against Joey Beltran.

so your point is the competition he has faced ? not doubting cormier in the slightest but he hasn't exactly fought the best of the best either.

mir was a perfect test to gauge where cormier would fit in the ufc, although mitrione is not as experienced or highly ranked he is still a good striker with a decent name and a good test nonetheless.

Yeah, pretty much. That and he's had 6 fights, none of them against anyone who can compare to Monson, Barnett and Bigfoot. Joey Beltran is a hell of a lot further down the line than Josh Barnett, let's be serious. Mitrione is a 5-1 guy who is no where near the top 15. Cormier is easily in the top 10, nearing the top 5. It's a complete waste of a fight if they throw Mitrione in there at this point in his career.

Post #16   9/30/12 10:26:33AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Chips:
The problem I have with Mitrione turning the fight down is that he was just on the MMA Hour with Ariel and he said he was hoping someone would get hurt so he could get a fight to pay the bills.

Even with that said, I can't blame the guy for not taking a 5 round fight with a guy like Cormier in a smaller organization on short notice. There are lots of reasons for hi to pass in the last sentence I wrote.

Post #17   9/30/12 10:38:47AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Werdum wanted it. Give it to him.
Suprised meathead didn't wanna fight. He hasn't fought all year long

Post #18   9/30/12 10:48:32AM   

danclarke1992

Standup Guy

danclarke1992 Avatar

Career:1,192-743
Chips:
mittrione was on the mma hour a few weeks ago and he said that he would fight anyone, anywhere, he also said that if a big name became available before his fight with de fries he would love to step up, so im not sure what has changed since then, maybe he picked up a slight injury or he just doesnt want to fight dc knowing he would probably loose

Post #19   9/30/12 11:09:06AM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:917-519
Chips:
In the words of Smokey Diaz "Don't Be Scared Homie"

It doesn't make Meathead look good, when he said he wanted a fight to pay the bills then turn down, a headlining fight, like a few others have said. He doesn't have to much to lose, but everything to gain if he took the fight. He doesn't have to worry about job security if he loses, since he is taking a fight on short notice, pretty much everyone gets a pass, for doing so, I would imagine Zuffa would have a nice backstage bonus for him for taking the fight. To be honest, A loss really doesn't hurt him in any means because it wasn't like he was on the cusp of fighting the top tier talent anyhow, so this was a blessing for him, and would surely get him a fight against someone else ranked in the top 10 with a win.

Definitely more pros than cons for taking the fight.

Post #20   9/30/12 11:22:51AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Didn't meathead go off about Jon Jones not taking the Chael fight?
I could be wrong but I thought he was one of the fighters who felt the need to publicly pile on Jones.

Post #21   9/30/12 11:37:46AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 37-48

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,532-977
Chips:
I agree it makes Meathead look like a wuss for not taking the fight after saying he'd fight anyone anywhere tp pay his bills. But I am glad he said no because that fight would have been stupid anyways. DANIEL CORMIER VERUSSSSSS.... *drumroll* Meathead....*crickets* I wanna see DC tested! The dude just beat a legit fighter & exchamp!! I don't wanna see him eat Meathead alive. Like Prozac said give him Werdum! Thats a test! Thats a solid match. & fuck Dana is being an extra bitchy baby these days

Post #22   9/30/12 11:56:19AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Also seeing Evans turned down Glover fight.

Post #23   9/30/12 12:35:43PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
This is getting absolutely ridiculous...period. nobody wants to fight anybody these days. ask mark hunt to step up and fight cormier

Post #24   9/30/12 1:15:59PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:543-400
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Mark hunt is still nursing an injury. The Werdum option is the most logical but all the talk about the competition is funny to me. A lot of people on here (I'm not looking to see if it's any of you arguing that meathead is too far down the line) were begging for Arlovski to step in and take the fight. I think it would be a terrible idea for Mitrione to take the fight but I also heard him on the mma hour talking about being willing to fight anybody and I also see the hypocrisy there. I like AA but as far as being ranked right now....AA has dropped off of the radar. Bigfoot is way overrated IMO and I can't see how a win over Bigfoot trumps Mitrione's opponents at all and please don't give me that victory of the legend Fedor stuff. I'm not getting into that conversation again. Bigfoot's most impressive win was over a guy who got demolished in his last 3 fights against decent competition and he's been KO"d back to back against top level competition. He's not that good.

All that being said Cormier looked stellar against Barnett who was by far the toughest test of his career and Barnett is certainly greater than any of Meathead's previous opponents, but he's also Cormier's only real test up to this point. Monson has been on the Travis Fulton route for years now and Bigfoot, as I stated earlier, is unproven at best. I feel like Cormier would demolish meathead and that's the biggest reason I don't think he should've taken the fight, but it's not like Cormier has been running through top level competition. A win over Mir was perfect for him and would have put him directly into the mix when he got to the big leagues. The only way to salvage that opportunity for him now is the make the Werdum fight happen or just exercise some parent company power and nix that stupid contract extension and tell showtime to get over it. I'm thinking the Werdum option is a greater possibility.

Post #25   9/30/12 1:51:03PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Mark hunt is still nursing an injury. The Werdum option is the most logical but all the talk about the competition is funny to me. A lot of people on here (I'm not looking to see if it's any of you arguing that meathead is too far down the line) were begging for Arlovski to step in and take the fight. I think it would be a terrible idea for Mitrione to take the fight but I also heard him on the mma hour talking about being willing to fight anybody and I also see the hypocrisy there. I like AA but as far as being ranked right now....AA has dropped off of the radar. Bigfoot is way overrated IMO and I can't see how a win over Bigfoot trumps Mitrione's opponents at all and please don't give me that victory of the legend Fedor stuff. I'm not getting into that conversation again. Bigfoot's most impressive win was over a guy who got demolished in his last 3 fights against decent competition and he's been KO"d back to back against top level competition. He's not that good.

All that being said Cormier looked stellar against Barnett who was by far the toughest test of his career and Barnett is certainly greater than any of Meathead's previous opponents, but he's also Cormier's only real test up to this point. Monson has been on the Travis Fulton route for years now and Bigfoot, as I stated earlier, is unproven at best. I feel like Cormier would demolish meathead and that's the biggest reason I don't think he should've taken the fight, but it's not like Cormier has been running through top level competition. A win over Mir was perfect for him and would have put him directly into the mix when he got to the big leagues. The only way to salvage that opportunity for him now is the make the Werdum fight happen or just exercise some parent company power and nix that stupid contract extension and tell showtime to get over it. I'm thinking the Werdum option is a greater possibility.

Until Barnett gets into the UFC and faces some real heavyweights I say he's the one that's overrated.

Post #26   9/30/12 2:01:55PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by jlock003

Until Barnett gets into the UFC and faces some real heavyweights I say he's the one that's overrated.

I hope to see that happen and I know what you mean, but he's still got better wins than Bigfoot. I don't even know who I would pick out as Bigfoot's most quality win. Barnett at least has wins over Big Nog and Randy.

Post #27   9/30/12 5:28:37PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Hmmmmmm...hooow about sherk?

Post #28   9/30/12 7:42:45PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Chips:
I'm lost on the sherk comment...could be the bud light talking but I don't get it...

Post #29   10/1/12 12:53:51AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by danclarke1992

mittrione was on the mma hour a few weeks ago and he said that he would fight anyone, anywhere, he also said that if a big name became available before his fight with de fries he would love to step up, so im not sure what has changed since then, maybe he picked up a slight injury or he just doesnt want to fight dc knowing he would probably loose

It means Mitrione is a liar. He clearly wouldn't fight anyone anytime anywhere.

On top of that he started a feud with Rampage on the MMA hour, another fight he probably would not take.

Post #30   10/2/12 4:35:02PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3