Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Just found out what my house was appraised at....im not happy

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Ok, ill lay it all out to make it easier to understand.

When my dad passed away he left my sister and I each a house and $42,000. Well, we had to distribute it evenly so we had the houses appraised back in November 2011. Her house is in a shitty part of Portland but it was appraised at $180,000. I chose the house in the nice neighborhood in Milwaukie. Smaller house (810 sq feet, 1090 sq feet with garage and carport) that was appraised at $140,000. It was a rental for about 10 years so it was in bad shape. The tenants moved out cuz I was moving in but first I needed to fix it up in a bad way. I ended up going all out. New carpet, bamboo hardwood in the kitchen and pantry, new countertop and cupboards, new tile in the bathroom, new sink and medicine cabinet, refinished the bathtub, new molding throughout the house, all new appliances, new couch, new bed.....everything is new.

So after all that I needed to put the house in my name. My dads interest rate was 5.45 and I could get it for just over 3. That is a few thousand over the next 30 years. Naturally I wanna save. So at the moment I'm in the middle of the final stage of the switch. I got the house appraised on Wednesday and got an email today from the company who did it.

$130,000

What?

$10,000 less than before? Less than a year ago it was $140,000 and in sad shape. This time it was $130,000 and the house looks WAY better and everything is new.

I understand that the houses around me affect my homes value and all that stuff but really, $10,000 less in less than a year. It doesn't help that the house right next door is on short sale for $110,000. It's a bigger house too but dude is in deep and just wants to sell. Next time I see him I'm gonna tell him he's screwing the whole neighborhood.

I just needed to vent guys, sorry

Post #1   9/28/12 3:24:30PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It'll pick back up.

Real Estate is like that. Down a year or two. But then some years value sky rocket.

Appearance and condition is everything. Manicured lawn . Nice paint job. Sounds like you did a lot.

OG Prop man

Post #2   9/28/12 3:31:52PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I own a house, but really know nothing about real estate and such. My wife and I put a lot of work, and like you the house was left to us by her family member etc. But over the years we put a lot of work into it.

So isnt the things you do for the upkeep and such supposed to make the price value go up?

Post #3   9/28/12 3:32:05PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

I own a house, but really know nothing about real estate and such. My wife and I put a lot of work, and like you the house was left to us by her family member etc. But over the years we put a lot of work into it.

So isnt the things you do for the upkeep and such supposed to make the price value go up?

Yeah it is. But like proph said his neighbor is hurting his value. Things like that happen and it can be very frustrating.

Planting trees is a way to bring up the value of your property. Of course that might involve getting permission from either the city or home owners association

Post #4   9/28/12 3:38:19PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Want me to come over and take a look at it and give you my professional assessment?

Post #5   9/28/12 3:42:57PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Yeah it is. But like proph said his neighbor is hurting his value. Things like that happen and it can be very frustrating.

Planting trees is a way to bring up the value of your property. Of course that might involve getting permission from either the city or home owners association

@Shawn, that's what I thought. I figured it would increase a bit, maybe to $150,000

@George, I've planted grass seed and shrubs in the front below the windows and keep everything nice and clean. But when they did the first appraisal the guy next door didn't have his house up for sale

@Chael, sure we can crack a few Brees and watch the best of Jones biggest WTF comments

Post #6   9/28/12 3:49:56PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Thats what sucks about real estate you can want to put money into your house but if the surrounding houses sell for less than what you paid getting your money back and putting money into it is a bad investment...but over the years real estate is the most sound investment and the economy will definitely be on the rise...

I am going through the same thing....but I bought mine....Sorry ass neighbors who moved in in two places across the street and are dirty...Lived there a year....Drove me crazy but finally both have moved out and cross my fingers...

Your up grades in the kitchen and master bath are the best things you could do...you will be alright...

Post #7   9/28/12 3:59:59PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
In this economy its going down. Our house (my parents) was appraised one day at 320,000 now its about 230,000 - 250,000

Post #8   9/28/12 4:01:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Chael Knows all about Real Estate!

Post #9   9/28/12 4:14:03PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Thats what sucks about real estate you can want to put money into your house but if the surrounding houses sell for less than what you paid getting your money back and putting money into it is a bad investment...but over the years real estate is the most sound investment and the economy will definitely be on the rise...

I am going through the same thing....but I bought mine....Sorry ass neighbors who moved in in two places across the street and are dirty...Lived there a year....Drove me crazy but finally both have moved out and cross my fingers...

Your up grades in the kitchen and master bath are the best things you could do...you will be alright...

It's ALL GOOD in da HOOD

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 9/28/12 4:22PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   9/28/12 4:21:41PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sorry to hear that man. You could potentially get a second appraisal. I know some people or companies will appraise for more or less depending on different factors.

Did the same people that did your most recent appraisal do your previous one?

Post #11   9/28/12 5:00:24PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Sorry to hear that man. You could potentially get a second appraisal. I know some people or companies will appraise for more or less depending on different factors.

no, two different companies. I might do that but idk yet

Post #12   9/28/12 5:07:21PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by pmoney

no, two different companies. I might do that but idk yet

That could certainly be a factor. If you call the same company that appraised your house less than a year ago at $140k, I wouldn't doubt that all those improvements would get you at that $150k (maybe even $160k) level. Judging by the sound of it you went all out, your home value certainly shouldn't have decreased. The market hasn't changed that much in the last 12 months. Not by my non-expert estimation.

Definitely hit the first appraisers up dude. It may be a little more out of pocket up front, but if you're looking to sell or just leverage the equity in your house, you'd want that extra value. Maybe you can call them, explain the situation and they can give you some info. Let them know when they appraised it, the condition the house was in, the improvements you made, and the second, decreased appraisal price you got afterwards. Hopefully they'll be like "that makes no sense" and they can get you a good estimate

Last edited 9/28/12 5:28PM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   9/28/12 5:19:57PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
what is the basement and backyard like? From what little I understand those can increase the value of the house

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   9/28/12 5:23:23PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bubbles

what is the basement and backyard like? From what little I understand those can increase the value of the house

no basement and the back yard is bigger than my house and enclosed. Well kept also

Post #15   9/28/12 5:27:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2