Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Vitor's BJJ coach comments on the armbar

Print  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Was there a Jiu-Jitsu fan that didn’t jump out of his seat when Vitor Belfort slapped that armbar on Jon Jones?

Countless practitioners “pulled” along with, tugging on an imaginary appendage to help the black belt coax the tapout from Jones; but the champion was one tough nut to crack. What followed was a barrage of elbows and frontal and spinning kicks that wore away at the Brazilian’s resistance, ultimately putting him away by americana lock in the fourth round.

But why didn’t that armbar pay out?

“It was bending backwards, in so tight. I think two things were missing: to bring the knee in when doing the armbar, and to hug the leg to work the sweep. Then Jon Jones really wouldn’t be able to defend, because he’d be swept,” Gilbert Durinho, Vitor’s Jiu-Jitsu coach, weighed in.

But from the photo taken behind the scenes afterwards one could tell the hold took its toll. The champion with his arm in a sling showed just how much damage was done. The loss doesn’t matter too much, what counts is Vitor’s grit.

UFC 152
TORONTO, CANADA
SEPTEMBER 22, 2012

LINK

Post #1   9/26/12 7:47:48PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
:"to bring the knee in when doing the armbar, and to hug the leg"

actually what i was telling my friends right after he lost the armbar.

Post #2   9/26/12 8:48:44PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
You break that arm any chance you get when the guy doesn't tap, what was Vitor thinking...

Does he seriously think Jones wouldn't have snapped his arm if he didn't tap?

His coaches should have been yelling, Snap it like a twig!!

Post #3   9/26/12 8:51:00PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

You break that arm any chance you get when the guy doesn't tap, what was Vitor thinking...

Does he seriously think Jones wouldn't have snapped his arm if he didn't tap?

His coaches should have been yelling, Snap it like a twig!!

he was full of crap, he lost the arm while he was grimacing during the extension.

Post #4   9/26/12 9:39:09PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
I remember vitor saying that when jones' arm popped that it actually loosened the grip because his arm was less stiff and jones was able to slip out with the extra space.

Post #5   9/26/12 9:59:55PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Manak

I remember vitor saying that when jones' arm popped that it actually loosened the grip because his arm was less stiff and jones was able to slip out with the extra space.

Thats what he said, and then I pirated the fight and noticed him still pulling and grimacing full force till the escape.

Post #6   9/26/12 10:05:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Some examples of what he could have done to finish the armbar.

Vitor validated my opinion of his BJJ. He's a good grappler but not great by any means. I would classify him as a low level black belt.

Once you have a guy trapped in that position, you need to be able to finish. Rather than looking to sweep Jones and move himself into a better position to execute, Vitor put all of his effort into trying to finish from a disadvantageous position.

He gets an A+ for trapping skills but a C- for execution.

Post #7   9/26/12 10:34:59PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i see what he is saying and i agree, but a fight is a fight and it happened so early i dont think anybody expected it including Jones and vitor. im a big vitor fan once again.

Post #8   9/27/12 12:16:08AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i see what he is saying and i agree, but a fight is a fight and it happened so early i dont think anybody expected it including Jones and vitor. im a big vitor fan once again.

It was a hell of a bizarre and entertaining fight thanks to Vitor

Post #9   9/27/12 11:51:19AM