Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What was Big John warning Jones about??

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
During the fight Big John had warned Jones a few times about something? I think it was for having an open hand to defend himself, is that true?

Post #1   9/24/12 9:48:14AM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 35-47

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,468-951
Chips:
I think Big John was just lookin out for Vitor's eye balls

Post #2   9/24/12 10:14:30AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,272-1,271
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Yeah...i heard that a couple of times...worried about the eye pokes.

And the ref during the Hamill fight was trying to tell him to "watch the back of the head" when he was doing the hammerfists ...and not trying to be funny here...it's Matt Hamill, you gotta get his attention some way other than repeating yourself louder.

Post #3   9/24/12 10:15:18AM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

And the ref during the Hamill fight was trying to tell him to "watch the back of the head" when he was doing the hammerfists ...and not trying to be funny here...it's Matt Hamill, you gotta get his attention some way other than repeating yourself louder.

Idiot moment of the night.

Post #4   9/24/12 11:36:45AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Very true. It hasn't really been an issue because I don't really remember him hitting the back of the head before but he hit Hollett in the back of the head many times. They weren't big shots by any means and I'm never going to accuse Hamill of doing that purposely, especially in the position he was and how many shots he ended up throwing but more than a few snuck through. I wonder how they'll deal with that in the future. It's not like you can just stop the guy entirely and have him read your lips.

Post #5   9/24/12 12:37:18PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Chips:
Best part was at the start of the fight when Belfort went for a headkick while Jones was crawling. He tried to get Big John to call it but he said something along the lines of "That's what happens when you wanna play games."

Post #6   9/24/12 1:19:17PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,048-608
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Best part was at the start of the fight when Belfort went for a headkick while Jones was crawling. He tried to get Big John to call it but he said something along the lines of "That's what happens when you wanna play games."

Haha thanks for jogging my memory, that was great.

Post #7   9/24/12 1:21:04PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

What?

I don't get it.
He didn't warn Belfort for purposely trying to kick a "downed opponent" in the head?
That's some messed up reffing.
I get that what Jones was doing seems silly to many people, but it is well within the rules.

Did Big John at least warn Belfort after expressing his personal distaste for Jones' crawling?

Post #8   9/24/12 3:28:27PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

What?

I don't get it.
He didn't warn Belfort for purposely trying to kick a "downed opponent" in the head?

I didn't watch the main card, but I've seen how Jones starts a match. Jones crawls on his hands and tip-toes. A down opponent is one where the fighter knee is on the ground. Within the rules, Belfort threw a legal kick. That's why Big John didn't warned Belfort of that kick.

Last edited 9/24/12 4:06PM server time by luckycharms
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   9/24/12 4:05:28PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,078-848
Chips:

Posted by LuckyCharms

Posted by State_Champ

What?

I don't get it.

I didn't watch the main card, but I've seen how Jones starts a match. Jones crawls on his hands and tip-toes. A down opponent is one where the fighter knee is on the ground. Within the rules, Belfort threw a legal kick. That's why Big John didn't warned Belfort of that kick.

the onl problem with that is a hand is considerded down. thats why jones starts the fight that way so no one can rush him unpreparred with strikes.

Post #10   9/24/12 5:36:08PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:1,052-681
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:

Posted by LuckyCharms

Posted by State_Champ

What?

I don't get it.

i hope someone would dropkick jones in the face when hes down like that.

Post #11   9/24/12 5:37:15PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Theres just lots of Jon Jones haters..>Even the refs....Hes easy to hate when hes utterly destroyed everyone hes faced...Never been taken down...Never on his back...Hes easy to hate...Hes been my favorite and I knew hed be champ from way before any title shot....but I would like to see him get in trouble...not lose...Only way to beat him is bum rush him with a million punches...and hope you connect...I have said though with his reach he will disrupt any power with his reach...You cant win!!

Get use to it!! He could beat any 2 LHW in the same night if it was a tournament...I mean 2 fresh guys one after the other...

Post #12   9/24/12 9:22:33PM   

LuckyCharms

Standup Guy

LuckyCharms Avatar

Career:502-385
Chips:
You're right, within the MMA rules ABC Boxing- Association of Boxing

16. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.

A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter) If the referee determines that a fighter would be a grounded fighter but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter

Post #13   9/24/12 9:45:04PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Theres just lots of Jon Jones haters..>Even the refs....Hes easy to hate when hes utterly destroyed everyone hes faced...Never been taken down...Never on his back...Hes easy to hate...Hes been my favorite and I knew hed be champ from way before any title shot....but I would like to see him get in trouble...not lose...Only way to beat him is bum rush him with a million punches...and hope you connect...I have said though with his reach he will disrupt any power with his reach...You cant win!!

Get use to it!! He could beat any 2 LHW in the same night if it was a tournament...I mean 2 fresh guys one after the other...

It's true, he is easy to hate but it's only because no one likes a false saint. We all hate guys like Tito and Koscheck because they're villians but IMO it's worse when you can't get an accurate reading on a guy.

Post #14   9/25/12 7:22:36AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I actually didn't like the warning for the open hands.

It's one thing if you're striking with open fingers and quite another if you're extending an open hand to push or gauge distance. IMO Jones was obviously doing the later.

Post #15   9/25/12 10:18:59AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2