Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ben Fowlkes

Print  
Posted By Message

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Does anyone else hate this guy's pieces as much as me?? I hate the fact he landed with junkie, I never enjoyed his work at mmafighting and now at Junkie. The guy just tries to hard in his pieces IMO. He also can be quite a douche bag when you don't agree with him.

Just wondering if it's me or do others dislike this guy?

Post #1   9/24/12 9:30:43AM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

Does anyone else hate this guy's pieces as much as me?? I hate the fact he landed with junkie, I never enjoyed his work at mmafighting and now at Junkie. The guy just tries to hard in his pieces IMO. He also can be quite a douche bag when you don't agree with him.

I don't know who he is and from your post it sounds like I'm better off

Post #2   9/24/12 10:43:28AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,171-1,277
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Only thing I like of Fowkes is that Ariel always gives him a hard time on the MMA hour every week and Fowkes always comes back for more. I think dude loves seeing things different than 99 percent of the audience and thinks it makes him clever.

Post #3   9/24/12 12:25:02PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Fowlkes is a jackass and a hack. He did a piece about how the UFC needs to do their own drug testing like two months after he wrote a piece saying they were doing just fine.

Not only that, he said no other sport has therapeutic use exemptions, which is not true. But of course everyone who read that article on Junkie may not know that. And the only reason I knew that was because of a piece Josh (BlueSkiesBurn) did way earlier comparing other sports' drug policies to the UFC. It was well written and researched, quite unlike Fowlkes.

He also looks and seems like a giant douche in every video I've seen him in. So yeah.... he gets no love from me.

Post #4   9/24/12 12:32:27PM   

thevoodooninja

MMA Sensei

thevoodooninja Avatar

Career:944-621
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Only thing I like of Fowkes is that Ariel always gives him a hard time on the MMA hour every week and Fowkes always comes back for more. I think dude loves seeing things different than 99 percent of the audience and thinks it makes him clever.

That cat might just be kingsmasher

Post #5   9/24/12 12:51:00PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 34-44

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:1,363-876
Chips:
He's one ugly motherfo that's for sure

Post #6   9/24/12 1:03:30PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:871-496
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Fowlkes is a jackass and a hack. He did a piece about how the UFC needs to do their own drug testing like two months after he wrote a piece saying they were doing just fine.

Not only that, he said no other sport has therapeutic use exemptions, which is not true. But of course everyone who read that article on Junkie may not know that. And the only reason I knew that was because of a piece Josh (BlueSkiesBurn) did way earlier comparing other sports' drug policies to the UFC. It was well written and researched, quite unlike Fowlkes.

He also looks and seems like a giant douche in every video I've seen him in. So yeah.... he gets no love from me.

I was talking about Josh when I mentioned how Ben is a douche when you dont agree with him, He was just trying to belittle Josh, for using the WWE's drug policy as an example.

The guy just isn't very professional and his pieces on fighters are borderline disrespectful, I understand wanting to call out guys or problems, but when your writing for big sites, you gotta be a little more professional, be different if it were a personal blog he was writing on. I'm surprised Junkie would hire someone like that. I would expect that shit on Bloody Elbow or even Bleacher Report...

Post #7   9/24/12 7:22:12PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by BuffaloDave

He annoys the hell out of me. I was disappointed as well when he ended up on Junkie. My personal feelings aside, he is just a shitty fit for a website that is generally considered one of the most reliable for MMA news. I don't know why they felt they needed an "opinion piece" guy, but his articles take away from why I go to Junkie (accurate, fast news). His articles are long winded, whiney, and he comes off as a smarmy douche.

Example: He has a reoccurring retrospective article entitled "Through the Past Darkly".......what faux artsy bullshit is that?

They need to kick Fowlkes to the curb and he needs to take that hack "Dr" Benjamin with him.

Post #8   9/25/12 7:52:58AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I like about 50% of his stuff. His "The Hurt Business" was quite enjoyable. And yeah, he does strike me as kinda douchey. Can't stand the podcast he does with Chad Dundas.

Post #9   9/26/12 8:44:52AM