Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?

Print  
Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?
Yes! 17 30%
No! 30 54%
Don King is a Fan Favorite! 9 16%
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,690-896
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I dislike his disrespectful attitude and I always will, but I respect his skills.

Post #31   9/24/12 8:46:02AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Chips:
I will never like the guy

Post #32   9/24/12 10:00:29AM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Career:340-238
Chips:
No love for Bisping ...

Its obvious to me that probably 90% of this site has minimal appeal for Bisping or what he represents in the UFC. Dana White said it best, Bisping always turns up to fight and has improved dramatically since his loss to Dan Henderson.

Hendo is the only fighter to have stopped him and judging by what Hendo has gone on to do since that fight should only lift Bisping's profile even more knowing that the only ko loss he has had is to one of the greatest of all time. His fight with Evans was a split decision loss, His fight against Wandy was controversial not to mention his fight with Sonnen who even Sonnen himself thought Bisping won the fight. Bisping's UFC record of 13-4 really is not too bad considering he has never hand picked an opponent or ducked anyone on short notice.

There are a few fighters in the UFC today who have, some of which are holding titles.

As for this top 10 talk, there is no top 10 in the UFC. Even Dana White holds no regard for rankings.
If Bisping is such a low tier fighter, then how did Chael Sonnen get his rematch with Silva after beating Brian Stann and narrowly escaping a decision to Bisping? If Bisping is not top level competition, then Chael Sonnen should never have got his rematch.

As for other challengers for Anderson Silva in the past, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, Damien Maia - who did these guys beat to get their shot ?? ...

Cote - split decision over Ricardo Almeida got his shot at Silva after beating Kendal Grove. Where is Kendal grove now ??

Maia - UD against Dan Miller after getting ko'd by Nate Marquardt.

Thales Leites - Only beat Nate Marquardt due to the points system of illegal knees. Then Thales stops Drew McFedries to get his crack at the middleweight Gold.

Travis Lutter - Don't even get me started ....

Last edited 9/24/12 11:14AM server time by LightsOUT23
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   9/24/12 11:13:00AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

No love for Bisping ...

Its obvious to me that probably 90% of this site has minimal appeal for Bisping or what he represents in the UFC. Dana White said it best, Bisping always turns up to fight and has improved dramatically since his loss to Dan Henderson.

Hendo is the only fighter to have stopped him and judging by what Hendo has gone on to do since that fight should only lift Bisping's profile even more knowing that the only ko loss he has had is to one of the greatest of all time. His fight with Evans was a split decision loss, His fight against Wandy was controversial not to mention his fight with Sonnen who even Sonnen himself thought Bisping won the fight. Bisping's UFC record of 13-4 really is not too bad considering he has never hand picked an opponent or ducked anyone on short notice.

There are a few fighters in the UFC today who have, some of which are holding titles.

As for this top 10 talk, there is no top 10 in the UFC. Even Dana White holds no regard for rankings.
If Bisping is such a low tier fighter, then how did Chael Sonnen get his rematch with Silva after beating Brian Stann and narrowly escaping a decision to Bisping? If Bisping is not top level competition, then Chael Sonnen should never have got his rematch.

As for other challengers for Anderson Silva in the past, Thales Leites, Patrick Cote, Damien Maia - who did these guys beat to get their shot ?? ...

Cote - split decision over Ricardo Almeida got his shot at Silva after beating Kendal Grove. Where is Kendal grove now ??

Thales Leites - Only beat Nate Marquardt due to the points system of illegal knees. Then Thales stops Drew McFedries to get his crack at the middleweight Gold.

Great post. When you look at that list there is no reason for Bisping not to get a shot.

Post #34   9/24/12 12:14:05PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

You've got a point to an extent. However, it's always hard to look back and decide if a guy earned a shot.

The Top 10 and the upper levels of a division change constantly. Maia beat Sonnen, Quarry, MacDonald, Herman, Jensen, and Miller. Today, only one of those guys would be a top ten (Sonnen), but that is still more top ten wins than Bisping has (which is zero.)

Leites beat Pete Sell, Ryan Jensen, Nate Marquardt, and Drew McFedries. Marquardt is the best guy on that list but again, this record is more impressive than Bisping's.

Cote beat Scott Smith, Kendall Grove, Drew McFedries, and Ricardo Almeida. Almeida is probably his best win on here, but again, better than any win on Bisping's record.

The only one where you MAY have a point is with Travis Lutter but even then he beat Patrick Cote before he got a shot (and this was a special circumstance because of the TUF Comeback show.)

At MW Bisping has beaten Charles McCarthy, Jason Day, Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Dan Miller, Akiyama, Jorge River, Jason Miller, and now Brian Stann. I think the best wins on here are Leben and Stann (both stylistically favorable to Bisping.)

The most remarkable thing about that list is how unremarkable it is. His 3 highest ranked opponents (Hendo, Wandy, and Sonnen) have all beaten him. Admittedly, the fights against Sonnen and Wandy were close losses. But that isn't an argument for a title shot, it's an argument for Bisping being a gatekeeper.

If he wants to earn his shot he needs to beat either Franklin/Le (I included this because Rich Franlin is a former champ and a tough fight for anyone), Weidman/Boetsch/, or Okami/Belcher.

Bisping has a lot of wins but most of them are against very low ranked opponents and few of them have been extremely impressive. His most impressive performance to date was his loss to Chael Sonnen.

Last edited 9/24/12 2:01PM server time by bjj1605

Post #35   9/24/12 1:59:42PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Hate him, will always hate him. Will never enjoy anything he does. I can respect how he fights, but I will always hate him.

Post #36   9/24/12 2:04:12PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Trust me when I tell you this...disliking Bisping makes one want a Bisping/Anderson fight way more than any of his fans could possibly imagine. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Post #37   9/24/12 2:34:31PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
Silva beat franklin to hell twice, submitted and rocked Hendo in his prime, brutally knocked out prime Marquardt, knocked out Okami toward the end of his prime, finished Sonnen twice, brutally knocked out Forrest coming right off his title loss, flash knocked out Vitor....

Those are all pretty enduring names in the sport and feel free to tell me about Bispings brutal finish of Chainsaw McCarthy but I just dont think it compares. He beat ONE enduring name I can think of, ONE, and that was Hammil.......

Edit- MAYBE Brian Stann will endure, MAYBE

Last edited 9/24/12 2:47PM server time by ghandikush

Post #38   9/24/12 2:44:36PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

You've got a point to an extent. However, it's always hard to look back and decide if a guy earned a shot.

The Top 10 and the upper levels of a division change constantly. Maia beat Sonnen, Quarry, MacDonald, Herman, Jensen, and Miller. Today, only one of those guys would be a top ten (Sonnen), but that is still more top ten wins than Bisping has (which is zero.)

Leites beat Pete Sell, Ryan Jensen, Nate Marquardt, and Drew McFedries. Marquardt is the best guy on that list but again, this record is more impressive than Bisping's.

Cote beat Scott Smith, Kendall Grove, Drew McFedries, and Ricardo Almeida. Almeida is probably his best win on here, but again, better than any win on Bisping's record.

The only one where you MAY have a point is with Travis Lutter but even then he beat Patrick Cote before he got a shot (and this was a special circumstance because of the TUF Comeback show.)

At MW Bisping has beaten Charles McCarthy, Jason Day, Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Dan Miller, Akiyama, Jorge River, Jason Miller, and now Brian Stann. I think the best wins on here are Leben and Stann (both stylistically favorable to Bisping.)

The most remarkable thing about that list is how unremarkable it is. His 3 highest ranked opponents (Hendo, Wandy, and Sonnen) have all beaten him. Admittedly, the fights against Sonnen and Wandy were close losses. But that isn't an argument for a title shot, it's an argument for Bisping being a gatekeeper.

If he wants to earn his shot he needs to beat either Franklin/Le (I included this because Rich Franlin is a former champ and a tough fight for anyone), Weidman/Boetsch/, or Okami/Belcher.

Bisping has a lot of wins but most of them are against very low ranked opponents and few of them have been extremely impressive. His most impressive performance to date was his loss to Chael Sonnen.

I disagree,

Maia was ko'd by Marquardt, then after one UD win over Dan miller who was not considered a top 10 fighter earn't him his title shot at Silva.

Thales Leites won a split decision over Marquardt due to illegal knees. If those knees were not delivered by Marquardt, Leites would have lost all 3 rounds. And Ryan Jenson, Floyd sword, Pete Sell and Drew Mcfedries are not at all top 10 MW's of that time.

As for Cote, he beat Almedia via split decision. Ricardo came into the UFC from fighting nobodies in Japan to beat Rob Yundt before his fight with Cote.
Again, Scott smith, Jason Day, Drew Mcfedries and Kendal Grove were not names worthy of challenging for the MW title, let alone Ricardo Almedia.

Travis Lutter, well he won the lottery to get his shot. Enough said about that.

At Middleweight, Bisping has beaten Akiyama (who beat Belcher in his UFC debut) Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Jason Miller and now Brian Stann who are all bigger names than the above that the likes of Cote, Leites & Maia beat before getting their title shots. Lets not forget that Bisping has only been stopped once in 17 UFC bouts with more recently taking Sonnen the distance in a close fight that even Sonnen thought he'd lost.

Rich Franklin is not a title contender, He fought once this year against Wanderlei and won a decision, last year he lost to Forrest Griffin. As for Gung Le, He's 1-1 in the UFC. And the 1 win he has is over Cote. These guys are legends, but not title contender names.

If Akiyama, Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Jason Miller and Brian Stann are weaker opposition than the likes of Scott smith, drew Mcfedries, Dan Miller or Kendal Grove then i would agree with you that Bisping does not deserve his title shot.

..... But i do not agree, Without a doubt in my mind, Bisping has fought the tougher opposition than the above fighters who got their shots at the point of their title fights with Silva.

Okami vs Belcher is already set, Weidman vs Boetsch is already set, Silva needs a new opponent ... Why not Bisping ???

I rest my case.

Post #39   9/24/12 3:00:13PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,240-829
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

Silva beat franklin to hell twice, submitted and rocked Hendo in his prime, brutally knocked out prime Marquardt, knocked out Okami toward the end of his prime, finished Sonnen twice, brutally knocked out Forrest coming right off his title loss, flash knocked out Vitor....

Those are all pretty enduring names in the sport and feel free to tell me about Bispings brutal finish of Chainsaw McCarthy but I just dont think it compares. He beat ONE enduring name I can think of, ONE, and that was Hammil.......

We're not talking about the legitamacy of those Silva has fought, although there is some relevance as there are a decent list of names you've omitted who have a significantly lower pedigree.

Amongst the names he's beaten, I'd say Leben, Stann and Hamill stand out, but I feel its not as black and white as that, as he's done pretty well against the upper echelons which deserves credit IMO.

Last edited 9/24/12 3:27PM server time by moob

Post #40   9/24/12 3:05:36PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
EDIT- Bisping is becoming more popular, imo.

Last edited 9/24/12 3:09PM server time by State_Champ
2 total post edits

Post #41   9/24/12 3:08:11PM   

LightsOUT23

Standup Guy

LightsOUT23 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

LOL

Did you not see Dennis Kang's face ? Chris Leben's Face? Mayhem's Face? Akiyama's face? Chael Sonnen's face? Brian Stann's face?

Bisping may not possess natural one punch KO power, but he does leave a mark now and again... Take a look for yourself sometime !!

Post #42   9/24/12 3:08:41PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by LightsOUT23

Posted by bjj1605

I disagree,

Maia was ko'd by Marquardt, then after one UD win over Dan miller who was not considered a top 10 fighter earn't him his title shot at Silva.

Thales Leites won a split decision over Marquardt due to illegal knees. If those knees were not delivered by Marquardt, Leites would have lost all 3 rounds. And Ryan Jenson, Floyd sword, Pete Sell and Drew Mcfedries are not at all top 10 MW's of that time.

As for Cote, he beat Almedia via split decision. Ricardo came into the UFC from fighting nobodies in Japan to beat Rob Yundt before his fight with Cote.
Again, Scott smith, Jason Day, Drew Mcfedries and Kendal Grove were not names worthy of challenging for the MW title, let alone Ricardo Almedia.

Travis Lutter, well he won the lottery to get his shot. Enough said about that.

At Middleweight, Bisping has beaten Akiyama (who beat Belcher in his UFC debut) Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Jason Miller and now Brian Stann who are all bigger names than the above that the likes of Cote, Leites & Maia beat before getting their title shots. Lets not forget that Bisping has only been stopped once in 17 UFC bouts with more recently taking Sonnen the distance in a close fight that even Sonnen thought he'd lost.

Rich Franklin is not a title contender, He fought once this year against Wanderlei and won a decision, last year he lost to Forrest Griffin. As for Gung Le, He's 1-1 in the UFC. And the 1 win he has is over Cote. These guys are legends, but not title contender names.

If Akiyama, Chris Leben, Denis Kang, Jason Miller and Brian Stann are weaker opposition than the likes of Scott smith, drew Mcfedries, Dan Miller or Kendal Grove then i would agree with you that Bisping does not deserve his title shot.

..... But i do not agree, Without a doubt in my mind, Bisping has fought the tougher opposition than the above fighters who got their shots at the point of their title fights with Silva.

Okami vs Belcher is already set, Weidman vs Boetsch is already set, Silva needs a new opponent ... Why not Bisping ???

I rest my case.

I don't hate Bisping. He's a heck of a fighter, but he still needs to beat a top 10. If you think Stann is top 10, that's fine. I disagree, but I won't argue.

I hate that Cote, Maia, Lutter, and Leites got shots at Silva too, but that shouldn't be a reason to push for Bisping to get a shot. Cote and Maia both got their shots due to the scheduled challenger getting injured (Okami and Belfort). Leites got his because Anderson already went through everyone else. Luter got his because he won TUF. None of these situations apply right now. I didn't even like Belfort getting a shot after beating nobody at MW in the UFC, beating Lindland and Terry Martin in Affliction, two guys I don't know in PRIDE, along with a loss to Hendo. But Belfort got it because they didn't want to give Hendo or Marquardt a rematch and no one else made any sense.

Weidman-Boetsch and Belcher-Okami being scheduled is a poor reason as well. Anderson will fight Bonnar, and will likely look for his usual 6 months before his next fight. Weidman-Boetsch will have 3 top 10 wins and should get next, imo. Have Bisping face the Belcher-Okami winner for the next shot. That would give Bisping a top 10 win and a legit claim to a title shot.

Post #43   9/24/12 4:05:40PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:781-480
Chips:

Posted by moob

Its all about opinion, and frequently the opinion is tainted by bias - it is my opinion that Stann is a top ten MW - that opinion is shared elsewhere on the mma web - http://www.mmaweekly.com/middleweight-division-185-pound-limit-mma-top-10

My points about Vitor were alluding to him fighting Rich 3 years ago, after a period of obscurity whereby he fought in lesser known organisations and lower quality opponents.I know he's a marketable fighter, he's great, and I've followed him since he was a heavyweight- but I don't feel he was due a shot at Jones - certainly not when you use the Bisping criterion being flexibly pinned to each and every reason why he seemingly doesn't deserve a shot.

Anyway, I'll cool it for a while before I cop another ban for sticking up for him, whilst everyone else batters into him ad nauseum.

Yes, ranking are all about opinion. It is just my opinion that Stann isn't top 10, but I won't argue with you that he isn't. He's pretty close in my eyes.

I misunderstood you comment about Vitor. You are right and I really hated that he got a title shot after beating Franklin at 195. But the UFC didn't want to give a rematch and wanted someone new. Nobody that I know of thought Belfort deserved the title shot against Jones either, he just stepped up because Jones needed an opponent. I understand the frustration around some of the title shots that have been given at MW, but those undeserved shots do not make a good case for Bisping getting one, imo. If you had Stann as top 10, then Bisping is on a 1-fight win streak with 1 top 10 win. Meanwhile, you've got Weidman-Boetsch, where the winner will have a longer winstreak than Bisping and 3x the number of top 10 wins.

Post #44   9/24/12 4:18:36PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

Dunno how many more contenders he needs to beat to finally get a shot - given some recent match-ups - Belfort being the most recent example.

Bisping hasn't beaten any top 10, that's why.

At least Belfort beat the former champ Franklin to get a shot at Silva.

Another thing is, Bisping would get Hendo'd in the first round by Ando, so it's pointless.

P.S. would you honestly pick Bisping over Belfort? I'd bet the house on Vitor personally.

Yeah, keep hearing that top 10 argument,yawn.

Belfort was in relative obscurity until quite recently in case you've forgotten- christ he beat Rich in 2009, so that had nothing to do with him getting a shot.

Belfort is a light heavyweight so I've no idea where your going with that argument.

As another poster said elsewhere, everyone makes their predictions about x or y guy and what they'd do to Bisping yada yada, fact is he's been around in the top flight for a huge amount of time, has been a solid pro throughout discounting the trash talk - has always fought who was put in front of him - that's all he could do, perhaps the quality of his opponents wasn't that great but whose fault is that?

You keep hearing a logical argument that Mikey hasn't beaten a top name and you don't care. What's his best win....Brian Stann? Dennis Kang?

And actually beating Franklin had everything to do with Vitor getting the shot, he had one good win over a former champ which was more than Bisping has ever done fighting stepping stones and mid tier fighters. It doesn't matter if Vitor wasn't in the UFC before his fight with Franklin, that's irrelevant he still had a better win than any of Bispings. Rich being another guy at 185 that would beat Bisping.

Belfort took a fight at 205 on short notice, it's unclear what weight he will fight in but that again is not relevant because we're talking about worthiness to fight for a title, and don't you think if Bisping and Vitor were offered the title shot against Jones Bisping would've wanted it? but he didn't deserve it because again he didn't beat anyone at 205 while Vitor is the former LHW champ.

Really top flight? you're in delusional land, let me bring you back to reality.

At Middleweight

Brian Stann, not a top 10, never was
Chael Sonnen, legit top 5 but he lost that one, wasn't that close
Jason Miller, not a top 10, never was, retired 1 fight later, abilities declined
Jorge Rivera, not a top 10, never was, retired 1 fight later, abilities declined
Yoshihiro Akiyama, not a top 10, never was, akiyama was used as a stepping stone for top guys
Dan Miller, not a top 10, never was, stylistically a terrible fight for Miller, late notice
Wanderlei Silva, was not top 10 at the time, abilities declined, mikey still lost
Dennis Kang, not a top 10, never was, was beating bisping badly untill gassing
Dan Henderson, was a top 10 and bisping gets murdered
Chris Leben, not a top 10, never was, bisping jabbed and ran the whole night
Jason Day, not a top 10, never was, complete can who lost 4 of his next 5 fights
Charles McCarthy, not a top 10, never was, complete can who retired after that, declined abilities

At Light Heavyweight

Rashad Evans, was a top 10, close fight, but Rashad won it 29-28
Matt Hamill, was not a top 10, not a close fight, and the brits ate it up when mikey got the bullshit decision
Elvis Sinosic, not a top 10, never was, under .500 record but almost knocked bisping out
Eric Schafer, not a top 10, never was, cut from zuffa twice, but almost tapped bisping
Josh Haynes, not a top 10, never was, complete can

Indeed...top flight competition, mikey really ran the gauntlet huh...

Last edited 9/24/12 4:21PM server time by cooler

Post #45   9/24/12 4:20:18PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4