Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?

Print  
Is Michael Bisping Becoming a Fan Favorite?
Yes! 17 30%
No! 30 54%
Don King is a Fan Favorite! 9 16%
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:506-312
Chips:
He's always been a favorite to me.
Favorite to watch get KO'd.

Post #16   9/23/12 7:52:31PM   

Goatenstein

In Full Mount

Career:821-544
Chips:
I like him even less now that he's shown a willingness to LnP.

Post #17   9/23/12 8:55:58PM   

Afflicted

MMA Regular

Afflicted Avatar

Career:426-283
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
If anybody at the bar I was at was cheering for Bisping then they were doing it silently. I can't stand the guy, and I really wish Stann would have bum rushed him after he landed that shot towards the end of the 1st

Post #18   9/23/12 9:01:07PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dude is a fan favorite for sure; of my wife, sisters and now even my daughter.....they don't ever hear him talk except for post fight interviews and they say is good looking. Now he isn't one of mine, but I have learned to expect and even sometimes enjoy him running his mouth.....but seriously WHEN in the hell is he going to finish a high ranking fighter!

Post #19   9/23/12 9:37:08PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I like him simply because I enjoy watching everyone get butthurt when he talks or when his name is mentioned.

Post #20   9/23/12 9:41:01PM   

meier

Standup Guy

meier Avatar

Career:453-438
Chips:
Meh

Post #21   9/23/12 9:44:18PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I don't think he's as hated. If he fights a person he respects, he's pretty good about keeping his mouth shut. I think he's just a really confident guy, that's not afraid to speak out about anything. One thing is for sure, he can certainly back up the talk. He's turning out to be a very good fighter.

He made fun of Stann's military service in the lead up to this fight.....

Can't really get worse than that.

I have conflicted feeling about Bisping. Sometimes I think he is clever and a bit funny. Sometimes I just can't believe the stuff coming out of his mouth. Overall, I'm not a fan of his personality.

On the other hand, I think he gets a lot of undeserved hate from the hardcore fans and I think he is underrated by a lot of people.

Post #22   9/23/12 11:43:42PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
All I know is that every Bisping thread on here ends up a few pages long. Love him or hate him he get's people talking about him and like Sonnen and Kos he bring's in the £$'s

Dana mentioned the the fighters on TUF Smashes last week how Kos owns 2 Ferrari's and a plane!! Not bad going for someone who has never won a UFC title.

Post #23   9/24/12 4:42:29AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Also, in answer to the question. Bisping will never be a fan favourite in the USA. Every other country, maybe. The are lot's of people in the UK who don't like him but I think the urge to see a UK champ is becoming stronger these days and right now he's our best chance.

Maybe Paul Sass will be too one day, but not right now.

Post #24   9/24/12 4:46:11AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,359-899
Chips:
He gets a dispreportionate amount of flak considering he ain't the only fighter that smack talks - especially on here despite there supposedly being a rule about fighterbashing.

He's an amazing athlete who works as hard as any.

Have to admit, when he coached on TUF, some of his chat and behaviour made me cringe - it was really childish.

He looks to have learned to listen to his coach, the entire fight he circled away from Stann's power and was barely troubled by him bar getting caught once or twice. I did have him down to lose this one.

Dunno how many more contenders he needs to beat to finally get a shot - given some recent match-ups - Belfort being the most recent example.

Post #25   9/24/12 6:27:00AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by moob

Dunno how many more contenders he needs to beat to finally get a shot - given some recent match-ups - Belfort being the most recent example.

Bisping hasn't beaten any top 10, that's why.

At least Belfort beat the former champ Franklin to get a shot at Silva.

Another thing is, Bisping would get Hendo'd in the first round by Ando, so it's pointless.

P.S. would you honestly pick Bisping over Belfort? I'd bet the house on Vitor personally.

Post #26   9/24/12 6:48:00AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

Another thing is, Bisping would get Hendo'd in the first round by Ando, so it's pointless.

P.S. would you honestly pick Bisping over Belfort? I'd bet the house on Vitor personally.

Yeah, keep hearing that top 10 argument,yawn.

Belfort was in relative obscurity until quite recently in case you've forgotten- christ he beat Rich in 2009, so that had nothing to do with him getting a shot.

Belfort is a light heavyweight so I've no idea where your going with that argument.

As another poster said elsewhere, everyone makes their predictions about x or y guy and what they'd do to Bisping yada yada, fact is he's been around in the top flight for a huge amount of time, has been a solid pro throughout discounting the trash talk - has always fought who was put in front of him - that's all he could do, perhaps the quality of his opponents wasn't that great but whose fault is that?

Post #27   9/24/12 6:58:52AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:749-413
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

like i've said many times before i dont like him but i respect him as a fighter. i even picked against him in an av bet but for the fantasy picks i went with bisping.

bisping's wrestling as of late has looked very good and when he warms up with his striking he does get some good shots of with little to no damage.

bisping is usually a slow starter and vitor is usually aggressive and quick off the mark so.....if vitor doesn't finish or hurt bisping badly in the first round then i can see bisping taking the decision...can't think of anyone who matches his cardio levels in the latter rounds.

Post #28   9/24/12 7:00:58AM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by Cooler

Posted by moob

Yeah, keep hearing that top 10 argument,yawn.

Belfort was in relative obscurity until quite recently in case you've forgotten- christ he beat Rich in 2009, so that had nothing to do with him getting a shot.

Belfort is a light heavyweight so I've no idea where your going with that argument.

As another poster said elsewhere, everyone makes their predictions about x or y guy and what they'd do to Bisping yada yada, fact is he's been around in the top flight for a huge amount of time, has been a solid pro throughout discounting the trash talk - has always fought who was put in front of him - that's all he could do, perhaps the quality of his opponents wasn't that great but whose fault is that?

Hmm. I'm confused with your points here.

You keep hearing the top 10 argument because it has been and still is true. He hasn't beaten a single top 10 MW yet, but he wants a title shot. Sure, he can only beat who is in front of him, but that's all anyone can do. Also, when he's gotten the opportunity to beat a top 10, he's failed to cash in. It isn't all on him as not many would have beaten Hendo or Chael, but to get a title shot, even at MW, I would still like him to get a top 10 win. He does have a lot of wins, but against guys outside of the top 15. This win over Stann is arguably his first top 15 win at MW. If he beats the Okami-Belcher winner or the Wediman-Boetsch winner, then he'll have earned a title shot. Depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't mind him getting a shot if he were to beat Belfort either.

Belfort was in obscurity? Not really, imo. Even though he hadn't beaten anyone of note for a while, he was still a popular and marketable fighter when he returned to the UFC. How did beating Franklin have nothing to do with him getting a shot? I don't think it should have earned him one since it was not at MW and was his only win since returning to the UFC, but it DID have something to do with getting him a title shot. Also, had he beaten Belcher, it wouldn't have been surprising if he would have gotten a fight with Anderson in Brazil. And just because his fight on Saturday was at LHW, it doesn't make him a LHW now. His fight with AJ was a scheduled MW fight. He was scheduled to fight Belcher (at MW) before he stepped up to fight Jones. If his next fight is at 205, then we can call him a LHW.

Post #29   9/24/12 7:43:21AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:
Its all about opinion, and frequently the opinion is tainted by bias - it is my opinion that Stann is a top ten MW - that opinion is shared elsewhere on the mma web - http://www.mmaweekly.com/middleweight-division-185-pound-limit-mma-top-10

My points about Vitor were alluding to him fighting Rich 3 years ago, after a period of obscurity whereby he fought in lesser known organisations and lower quality opponents.I know he's a marketable fighter, he's great, and I've followed him since he was a heavyweight- but I don't feel he was due a shot at Jones - certainly not when you use the Bisping criterion being flexibly pinned to each and every reason why he seemingly doesn't deserve a shot.

Anyway, I'll cool it for a while before I cop another ban for sticking up for him, whilst everyone else batters into him ad nauseum.

Post #30   9/24/12 8:24:53AM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4