Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

JBJ's Sub Defense

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

BossHog

MMA Regular

BossHog Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:
Is it a possibly a glaring weakness? His armbar defense was amateur. Never try to rip the arm out; with Vitor up against the cage he was in perfect position to stack him and work from there.

Was is just a moment of panic and forgetfulness or is this something future opponents could really take advantage of?

Discuss

Post #1   9/23/12 1:15:08PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
IMO he just took Belfort's black belt for granted and panicked once Belfort latched it on. He defended all of Belfort's attempts after that.

Post #2   9/23/12 1:55:53PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Jones has long had sloppy work from in the guard. He's a virtuoso with is elbows, but his defense is lacking (as we witnessed last night).

Others have pointed this out, it is not new. I thought the popular opinion was that Jones weakest aspect of MMA was his work from guard. It's the one thing he does not seem to have mastered.

Still, he's one of the best and I imagine he's going to work hard on that aspect of his game when his arm heals.

Post #3   9/23/12 1:56:01PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:
imo the only reason that armbar sunk at all was because Jones had been training solely for forward moving power punchers. Vitor put on one of the most interesting gameplans he could have chosen.

Post #4   9/23/12 3:37:11PM   

BossHog

MMA Regular

BossHog Avatar

Career:52-41
Chips:

Posted by ghandikush

imo the only reason that armbar sunk at all was because Jones had been training solely for forward moving power punchers. Vitor put on one of the most interesting gameplans he could have chosen.

It wasn't the armbar getting put on that surprised me; it was the fact that JBJ failed to execute a simple stack defense. Instead he tried to yank his arm out...the exact opposite of what you want to do in such a situation.

Post #5   9/23/12 4:41:01PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i think he did ok. that armbar came so early and quick that i think he just had to react. plus, if your elbow is almost out of the armbar, then sometimes a few short quick tugs and your out. i thought he did good when he stacked vitor, and to jones credit he did excape one of the nastiest armlocks from a long time blackbelt and veteran fighter. i disagree that its a glaring weakness.

Post #6   9/23/12 4:53:07PM   

ghandikush

MMA Sensei

ghandikush Avatar

Career:118-71
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i think he did ok. that armbar came so early and quick that i think he just had to react. plus, if your elbow is almost out of the armbar, then sometimes a few short quick tugs and your out. i thought he did good when he stacked vitor, and to jones credit he did excape one of the nastiest armlocks from a long time blackbelt and veteran fighter. i disagree that its a glaring weakness.

this imo and seeing as how its unlikely vinny makes it to a title shot anytime soon I doubt Jones will have the problem.

Post #7   9/23/12 5:32:49PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:625-338
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't think there is anything wrong with his sub defence. He just took vitor for granted in that first round a little bit whilst he was on top. He was never close to trouble again after that incident.

Post #8   9/23/12 5:42:02PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:860-491
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

i don't think there is anything wrong with his sub defence. He just took vitor for granted in that first round a little bit whilst he was on top. He was never close to trouble again after that incident.

Post #9   9/24/12 9:43:48AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:983-570
Chips:
Agree with Aussie. He leaves his arms out there regularly, that was what made his fight with Vera nerve racking (since I had $$ on Jones). Vera didn't really try to keep one of those arms, but they were certainly there. Perhaps only the ballsy guys will go for it, knowing that if they miss they will eat hellbows and possibly get tkoed as a result. Vitor was the only one I remember even attempting an armbar on Jones. Not enough to make a statement against Jones' defense but certainly a message to 185 and 205 that Belfort is much more dangerous off of his back than we have yet seen since his return to the octagon.

Post #10   9/24/12 1:10:02PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Just saw this on MMAFighting.com-

Posted about Jon Jones

"I would rate the performance, I think it was a good performance, but there was definitely a lot of room to improve," said Jones, wearing a sling on his right arm at the post-fight press conference. "Vitor had me second-guessing myself. I've just got to get more comfortable in the Octagon. I work so hard on my wrestling and so hard on my standup. I definitely need to embrace jiu-jitsu more and practice what I preach, being a true mixed martial artist and embracing all martial arts. I have to admit I don't practice my jiu-jitsu every day.

Link

Last edited 9/24/12 3:10PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/24/12 3:10:03PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Blah Blah Blah for the Jon Jones haters....Maybe Jon was never in any real trouble for the armbar and knew he didnt have to "stack" Vitor....I think Jones is just toying around with everyone and doesnt want to come out and say...I was never in any trouble....

Wheres the MRI? BJJ is just way overrated for the sport of MMA against somoene with dominant wrestling and the longest reach in MMA...I wonder how many time in practice in the world of BJJ has a man armbarred a guy with 86 inch reach....Personally I think the only flawed technique was on Vitors part...

You can be critical of Jon in the guard all you want but hes not been in any trouble ever....

BTW who got subbed in this fight? The guy with the wrong technique or the BJJ black belt...

Post #12   9/24/12 8:24:49PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Blah Blah Blah for the Jon Jones haters....Maybe Jon was never in any real trouble for the armbar and knew he didnt have to "stack" Vitor....I think Jones is just toying around with everyone and doesnt want to come out and say...I was never in any trouble....

Wheres the MRI? BJJ is just way overrated for the sport of MMA against somoene with dominant wrestling and the longest reach in MMA...I wonder how many time in practice in the world of BJJ has a man armbarred a guy with 86 inch reach....Personally I think the only flawed technique was on Vitors part...

You can be critical of Jon in the guard all you want but hes not been in any trouble ever....

BTW who got subbed in this fight? The guy with the wrong technique or the BJJ black belt...

jj was definetely in trouble when he was in the armbar, watch the fight again and see the panic in his face.

Post #13   9/24/12 10:29:35PM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

You are completely right Kingsmasher, Jon Jones was not in any trouble, that shit didn't even hurt. Many might mistake this picture as depicting Jon Jones with an injured arm but smart guys like us know that this is just part of Nike's new "Sling wear" line and Jon Jones is obviously just wearing it for those endorsement dollars.

Post #14   9/25/12 8:12:29AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by kingsmasher

You are completely right Kingsmasher, Jon Jones was not in any trouble, that shit didn't even hurt. Many might mistake this picture as depicting Jon Jones with an injured arm but smart guys like us know that this is just part of Nike's new "Sling wear" line and Jon Jones is obviously just wearing it for those endorsement dollars.

'

all a ploy set up by greg jackson to get some fans.

Post #15   9/25/12 8:36:51AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2